PDA

View Full Version : Travers report from Sunday

Jack&7
08-25-2009, 12:27 PM
The bite was definitely "off" on Sunday. We tried for a late afternoon-evening fish session. We first went out to the McGregor inlet on the north end of the lake and I took it as a bad sign when I didn't see any boats out there. There were a few guys on the shore but it was pretty quiet.

I couldn't see any fish on the fishfinder until I hit a few in 22 feet of water. The walleyes were sitting on the bottom as usual but I couldn't get any to bite. We even tried trolling a bit because there seemed to a bunch of pike sitting up top of the water column at about 5 feet. No luck there either.

I honestly didn't get as much time as I would've liked over this spot because I had another huge problem: the wind. It was blowing a mild to stiff breeze out of the south and there was a slight chop on the water. So I figured we would try to anchor. I could not get my anchor to bite and it always ended up dragging the bottom. Very frustrating! The anchor is plenty heavy enough but I think I need the style that is lighter but with long blades and the slip-ring on it to dig down into the mud. The weight and the smaller flukes on my lead anchor just didn't do the job.

So after becoming frustrated, we figured we would try back by the Little Bow launch and check out that western end of the lake since I had never been there before and it would be a little better protected from the wind.

We got back to the launch and the water was like glass....perfect. I thought we would try a bit of jigging but not 2 minutes after we got there and set up, another wicked wind (much stronger than on the north end) came up out of nowhere and made it impossible to control the boat. It pretty much chased everyone off the water. Loading the boat was quite the adventure.

So we packed up and headed home...no fish and an overall disappointing session out on Travers. I've heard of August being a slow month, so I will probably no go back until late September.

The Fisherman Guy
08-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Thank you for the info! I have heard that the fish are coming out of different spots at Travers, not just the regular ones. But all around the fishing is very slow so far. I am thinking of hitting up the upper reaches of the rivers where it is already getting quite chilly at night, maybe the fall feed has begun out there and I will have more luck!

jodycanfish
08-25-2009, 04:00 PM
no fish is better than working!!!!!!

Jack&7
08-25-2009, 05:10 PM
no fish is better than working!!!!!!

You are correct my friend! Don't get me wrong...when I said it was disappointing, I mostly say that because I wanted my daughter to catch some fish. But she had a good time anyway being in the boat and seeing the 4 mulies run down the hill beside the boat launch.

Any day fishing is a good day!

McDeth
08-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Sunday WAS friggen slow at Travers. Spent the entire day there and only caught 12 Walleye between my friend and I. Most of those fish were caught pulling blades behind a bottom bouncer which was frustrating with all the weeds. The rest were caught in about 15-20 feet of water on a slip bobber / smelt rig. My buddy did score one 55cm walleye at the end of the day (around 8 o'clock) along a large cliff face west of the Bible Camp, weighing in at 4.5 pounds. Summer reservoir fishing....the ultimate love/hate relationship.:mad2:

Jack&7
08-25-2009, 05:17 PM
I hear ya, McDeth. Unfortunately, my schedule doesn't allow for another return trip until the last weekend of Sept. but I imagine things will have improved by then.

I really like the resevoir...a beautiful place to fish and spend the day with the famly. It was only my second time there so I am still trying to learn the "ins and outs" of the water, but I can see many more trips out there in the future.

I haven't made it to the far end by the dam...how is the fishing at that end?

Rick.
08-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Reading this post makes me feel a lot better about the afternoon I had Sunday on McGregor. We managed three fish the entire afternoon. We were out the previous Wednesday and couldn't have done better. Maybe Sunday was just a tough day for all? Rick.

nicemustang
08-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah it's tough out there this time of year. Fortunately the weather is still good!

The dam end is hit or miss. The "Fingers" is where all the rolling hills, steep drop offs, and points and bays are at down at the dam end. It's where the fish should be right now.

Has anyone tried the spillway? I'm going down on Sunday.

jcahoo1
08-28-2009, 08:15 PM
I was at Travers on Tuesday.. AGAIN, the bite was 'off'. Landed just one walleye and one pike. Walleye was very small and pike was not legal. Caught a lot of sun and wind though :lol: .