PDA

View Full Version : Sylvan Lake 2021

DiabeticKripple
05-18-2021, 11:53 AM
Figured I’d start a thread for the year for Sylvan since it seems to be so popular on this forum.

I went out yesterday and got skunked. Tried casting swim baits, jigging with a minnow and trolled about 1/3 of the shoreline in shallow (5-7ft) and deeper (12-20ft)

I saw a couple lone fish in the shallows but couldn’t get a hook into one.

Launched at Sunbreaker and it wasn’t too busy, but there was still idiots that tie their boats up in the middle of the docks so you can’t launch your boat. Just clueless people.

Poppa
05-18-2021, 02:54 PM
Figured I’d start a thread for the year for Sylvan since it seems to be so popular on this forum.

I went out yesterday and got skunked. Tried casting swim baits, jigging with a minnow and trolled about 1/3 of the shoreline in shallow (5-7ft) and deeper (12-20ft)

Launched at Sunbreaker
This post is identical to my Sunday trip...same methods, same results. Kind of a shame. I'm camping in Brooks this coming weekend and hopefully will get the sour taste out of my mouth....ha ha.

Zip-in-Z
05-18-2021, 06:21 PM
I'm surprised to read both of you guys didn't do all that well. On Saturday, Scott launched at HalfMoon, we zipped out to Palm Bay to a GPS ice fishin spot in 8 fow had my biggest White of the day within 2-3 casts. Got 4-5 more Whites within 1 hr, moved 4 more times in the area & caught more, went over to Sunbreaker had a couple hits got 1 small one, then we headed to Norglenwold hoping to find some Walleye, fished 4 more spots around the Lighthouse then a km or more out from Pier in deep water caught more Whites but no Walleye, headed for spot in Honey-Moon then Half-Moon, caught more Whites, headed to RR23 south, fished 2 GPS spots didn't get any, we departed at 3:30, I was lucky to catch 17 Whites myself that day, but we worked for them. I agree those small Walleye of the past that kept you busy have been cleaned out, there are some bigger one's but pre/post-spawn females are difficult to catch in May. Fishin will improve in June.

D.

Poppa
05-18-2021, 06:57 PM
I'm surprised to read both of you guys didn't do all that well. On Saturday, Scott launched at HalfMoon, we zipped out to Palm Bay to a GPS ice fishin spot in 8 fow had my biggest White of the day within 2-3 casts. Got 4-5 more Whites within 1 hr, moved 4 more times in the area & caught more, went over to Sunbreaker had a couple hits got 1 small one, then we headed to Norglenwold hoping to find some Walleye, fished 4 more spots around the Lighthouse then a km or more out from Pier in deep water caught more Whites but no Walleye, headed for spot in Honey-Moon then Half-Moon, caught more Whites, headed to RR23 south, fished 2 GPS spots didn't get any, we departed at 3:30, I was lucky to catch 17 Whites myself that day, but we worked for them. I agree those small Walleye of the past that kept you busy have been cleaned out, there are some bigger one's but pre/post-spawn females are difficult to catch in May. Fishin will improve in June.

D.Thanks for the info, Zip! Ya I'm not generally fishing for whites. Just walleye and if we snag anything else, then so be it. I ran swim baits, cranks and jig n minna, and had zero luck in all of our usual spots plus some new ones we wanted to try on the far west end of the lake. Last year on May Long we had outstanding action with many 18" walleye and some 30"+ burbs in the mix as well.

Zip-in-Z
05-19-2021, 11:38 AM
Thought I would share this story here, copy & paste from a Sylvan F/B thread.

This kids Mom posted some pic's of her son's (Jaiden), monster Pike caught the other day near the boat launch within the Marina Bay complex. A fellow helped the kid net the fish and they reported it weighed 32 lbs measured out at 42". The big girl was successfully released. In one day her post already has 850 likes & 270 comments from the Sylvan community.

Congrat's to Jaiden, who's not old enough to even need a fishin license, life long memories.

D.

https://i.imgur.com/xLRaXWi.jpg

Lowrance Fishburn
05-19-2021, 11:59 AM
Glad the fish was released, happy for the young lad. Lets be real though there is 0% chance it weighed 32 lbs lol.

Huzza
05-19-2021, 12:19 PM
lol, think your scale is off by 10lb at least

Huzza
05-19-2021, 12:20 PM
still a beaut of a fish tho

Howard Hutchinson
05-19-2021, 12:26 PM
Beauty Pikeasaurus!! Good for the yougster!!

Zip-in-Z
05-19-2021, 12:27 PM
Glad the fish was released, happy for the young lad. Lets be real though there is 0% chance it weighed 32 lbs lol.

LF ... his Mom said that's what it was scaled at. The kid's already a natural fisherman, they always weigh more than a pic that's out of focus and to far away. He's home doing home work, so he can go out again with his school buddies. I imagine that fish will grow with every story.

D.

Howard Hutchinson
05-19-2021, 12:40 PM
LF ... his Mom said that's what it was scaled at. The kid's already a natural fisherman, they always weigh more than a pic that's out of focus and to far away. He's home doing home work, so he can go out again with his school buddies. I imagine that fish will grow with every story.

D.
>>
Tough to focus on school I bet. Heck, be tough to focus on work!!:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Zip-in-Z
05-19-2021, 12:45 PM
>>
Tough to focus on school I bet. Heck, be tough to focus on work!!:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Yup ... when your 14 or 15 & have to be home schooled vs out fishin ... that's rough.

D.

Smoky buck
05-19-2021, 12:48 PM
Who cares about the weight of that pike it’s a great fish and I bet it made the boys season

Donkey Oatey
05-19-2021, 12:49 PM
I've seen that big girl cruising around Marina Bay a few times. Good on him, she's a beaut.

TROLLER
05-19-2021, 03:34 PM

Launched at Sunbreaker and it wasn’t too busy, but there was still idiots that tie their boats up in the middle of the docks so you can’t launch your boat. Just clueless people.

Are they managing the boat launch yet, and is there a charge?

DiabeticKripple
05-19-2021, 04:53 PM
Are they managing the boat launch yet, and is there a charge?

There’s no one managing the launch, and it’s a Lacombe county launch so it is free to use.

They just dumped a bunch of gravel in the overflow and graded it. It looks good.

maverick
06-10-2021, 11:57 AM
Nice fish Jaiden that is a beauty.

PerchBuster
06-10-2021, 03:44 PM
Beauty Pike and big congrats to the young angler, but 32 lbs, ahhhh sorry, no way, that didn’t happen lol