PDA

View Full Version : Mega 360 images

SamSteele
05-19-2021, 09:46 AM
I picked up a Mega 360 Universal mount this past winter and spent some time with it on the water the last couple weeks. I thought I would share some images.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210519/97f333e252a661c7b6abf4389d08b4b1.jpg
Here you can see the multiple sonar shadows from fish that are up in the shallows. Direction of travel and distance are pretty clear so you can make targeted casts.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210519/ac63f0e51caf48d63f864386346c3acd.jpg
This is a standard Mega 360 image that shows some rock (right side), sand below, and weeds on the left.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210519/511ce2165f978d22fde9f3baf0f0150a.jpg
One of the cool things with Mega 360 is you can use it to do MSI+ as well. When you select the SI view it orients the transducer parallel to the boat and you get MSI+ images off the Mega 360. Here is a shot of a Rocky band extending out into deep water on the left. There is a significant drop off on the left which is why the image fades.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210519/40907bf8a83d61b70f3b709249a09563.jpg
Last one, again of MSI+ using the Mega 360.

Hope these were helpful for those considering the technology. LiveScope/ActiveTarget/MegaLive is popular tech but fills a different niche. You don’t need to point the Mega 360, so there is less hands on when fishing, but you also don’t get the real time image. Always a trade off, so you need to pick what will work for your style of fishing.

SS

AlbertanGP
05-19-2021, 01:06 PM
I wasn't a fan of this technology initially. As a competitor to live imaging, it fails miserably. But after watching Tom Boley use it, I get it now. It's very useful in an application different from live imaging where you don't have to pan the transducer by yourself. I'm not sure what it costs, and I don't think it holds a candle to live imaging in the winter. But I do plan to finally get a Humminbird after decades of taking a pass to check out this technology specifically.

SamSteele
05-19-2021, 01:52 PM
I wasn't a fan of this technology initially. As a competitor to live imaging, it fails miserably. But after watching Tom Boley use it, I get it now. It's very useful in an application different from live imaging where you don't have to pan the transducer by yourself. I'm not sure what it costs, and I don't think it holds a candle to live imaging in the winter. But I do plan to finally get a Humminbird after decades of taking a pass to check out this technology specifically.

Agree that the applications are different. The Mega 360 helps you know what is around in all directions without the requirement to manually point the transducer, but it comes at the cost of slower refresh and not being able to see the fish react to your lure as easily.

I think there is a place for both in the boat as I think they could be a deadly combo. The problem is you may spend more time looking at the fish than actually fishing!

AlbertanGP
05-19-2021, 02:17 PM
My plan is to search as I do now using side imaging to find the fish with a range of 80' or so on either side. When I find them now and drop a waypoint, the Xi5 on my MotorGuide will take me right back to them. But they may have moved and I sometimes have to make several casts to find them again. With the Mega360, I can just dump it over the side while the Xi5 takes me back to them and I will be able to make a precise cast to them right off the bat. How are you finding the resolution out at 60'? I was thinking I would be keeping it at 45'.

58thecat
05-19-2021, 02:27 PM
very neat technology for sure....I guess once you master the electronics it is easy but right now I find myself not fishing but watching the dam screen then pushing buttons....will get better overtime I am sure.

AlbertanGP
05-19-2021, 03:04 PM
Becoming proficient with your electronics can definitely help make your fishing more successful. It can also make you really lazy and reliant on only a few techniques. But there will still be those days where the Fishing Gods remind you who's boss. ;)

dodger
05-19-2021, 03:40 PM
I still use a stick with string on it. When it tugs I know a fish is there :sHa_shakeshout:

Cool stuff for sure.

Dodger.

dodger
05-19-2021, 03:41 PM
I still use a stick with string on it. When it tugs I know a fish is there :sHa_shakeshout:

Cool stuff for sure.

Dodger.

dodger
05-19-2021, 03:43 PM
Hey - I have a twin ^^^^^^^

Dodger.

StringTheory
05-19-2021, 04:09 PM
Agree that the applications are different. The Mega 360 helps you know what is around in all directions without the requirement to manually point the transducer, but it comes at the cost of slower refresh and not being able to see the fish react to your lure as easily.

I think there is a place for both in the boat as I think they could be a deadly combo. The problem is you may spend more time looking at the fish than actually fishing!

Maybe "fish-watching" with electronics will become a sport in itself! I'm guilty of cruising around staring at my side imaging without actually fishing. There's no shame in it - playing with the graphs is fun and that's what I'm out there to have.

Is that Helix 8 big enough or would you want a bigger screen? 8-9" is ideal for kayaks, but does a guy need to go bigger?

Jamie Black R/T
05-19-2021, 04:44 PM
Maybe "fish-watching" with electronics will become a sport in itself! I'm guilty of cruising around staring at my side imaging without actually fishing. There's no shame in it - playing with the graphs is fun and that's what I'm out there to have.

Is that Helix 8 big enough or would you want a bigger screen? 8-9" is ideal for kayaks, but does a guy need to go bigger?

I have launched my boat and scoured a lake for 6 hours then returned it to the trailer without ever wetting a line. Just marked fish, transitions and built mapping for future use. Preemptive work can prove priceless when the bite slows and fish move off the hot spots.

For side or 360 imaging you want to go a minimum 9" in my opinion. If you can afford a larger screen, do it. I have 12" on my Lund and a 7" on my jetboat and the 7" is pretty well useless for side imaging in comparison.

AlbertanGP
05-19-2021, 05:55 PM
When you’re looking for “grains of rice” while running SI, the bigger the screen the better. Walleye are long grain rice on my Carbon 16 and my eyes appreciate the help.

SamSteele
05-19-2021, 07:44 PM
My plan is to search as I do now using side imaging to find the fish with a range of 80' or so on either side. When I find them now and drop a waypoint, the Xi5 on my MotorGuide will take me right back to them. But they may have moved and I sometimes have to make several casts to find them again. With the Mega360, I can just dump it over the side while the Xi5 takes me back to them and I will be able to make a precise cast to them right off the bat. How are you finding the resolution out at 60'? I was thinking I would be keeping it at 45'.

I find the resolution at 60' seems pretty good, but 45 feet is better. All of the high frequency sonars seem to lose "oomph" as they get out farther. You can change the frequency down to 455 and gain range but you lose clarity. You have to adjust the sweep speed a bit to keep things from being "streaky" if you are moving. If you are moving the front of the boat to the port side you get a weird vortex look as the transducer rotates the other way.

SamSteele
05-19-2021, 07:52 PM

So I have a Helix 10 MSI+ G4N, a Helix 9 CHIRP G4N and a Helix 8 MSI+ G4N on my boat, all networked. The Mega 360 is plugged into the transducer on the Helix 8, the Ulterra into the Helix 9, and the transom MSI+ transducer into the Helix 10. Being networked means I can see the Mega 360 on all the units (yes, even the CHIRP G4N as the image is processed by the Helix 8 MSI+ unit). I can also see the 2D, MDI+, and MSI+ from the transom on all three units (image is processed by the Helix 10 MSI+ on the dash) or the 2D from the Ulterra (image is processed by the Helix 9 CHIRP in the bow).

I got the Helix 8 MSI+ CHO for a few reasons.

1) I didn't need the transducer as I had the Mega 360, so may as well save the money.
2) I was planning to network to bigger screens so I didn't need another big screen as I could see the Mega 360 on the bigger ones already.
3) I am planning to use this setup for ice fishing and a Helix 8 uses less power than a bigger screen so I don't have to carry a big battery to make it through the day.
4) I have the Helix 8 setup to use on a portable shuttle so I can put it in my small 12' boat as well. A bigger screen would use more power.

To answer your specific question though, in a kayak you are pretty close to the screen so I would think an 8 would be fine. You can also select just a portion of the 360 to display (front, rear, either side) so you can see a specific area in larger detail if you want.

If you are going with a big boat with lots of power and you don't have other screens to use, I would probably go as big as your budget and space allows. I had other factors that played into my choice.

SS

58thecat
05-20-2021, 07:04 AM
I told a buddy about this technology and we agreed on one thing....now you see’em still gotta figure out what they want....garmin needs to come out with a rig called fish decoder....listen to them.:)

AlbertanGP
05-20-2021, 07:17 AM
...garmin needs to come out with a rig called fish decoder....listen to them.:)

They did. It’s called LiveScope. ;)

brass410
05-20-2021, 07:29 AM

Cool stuff for sure.

Dodger.

I use a stick with a fuse on it (more dependable)

AlbertanGP
05-20-2021, 07:57 AM
I find the resolution at 60' seems pretty good, but 45 feet is better. All of the high frequency sonars seem to lose "oomph" as they get out farther. You can change the frequency down to 455 and gain range but you lose clarity. You have to adjust the sweep speed a bit to keep things from being "streaky" if you are moving. If you are moving the front of the boat to the port side you get a weird vortex look as the transducer rotates the other way.

Good to confirm on the range. I'm not even planning to drop it if I'm moving...that's side imaging territory. And Lowrance's Active Imaging punches out to 80' @ 800kHz no problem even in super shallow water...the problem is getting everything else on your transom out of the way IME.

WoollyBuggered
05-20-2021, 08:34 AM
The image looks like beer. Is it too early for beer?

58thecat
05-20-2021, 09:16 AM
So I have a Helix 10 MSI+ G4N, a Helix 9 CHIRP G4N and a Helix 8 MSI+ G4N on my boat, all networked. The Mega 360 is plugged into the transducer on the Helix 8, the Ulterra into the Helix 9, and the transom MSI+ transducer into the Helix 10. Being networked means I can see the Mega 360 on all the units (yes, even the CHIRP G4N as the image is processed by the Helix 8 MSI+ unit). I can also see the 2D, MDI+, and MSI+ from the transom on all three units (image is processed by the Helix 10 MSI+ on the dash) or the 2D from the Ulterra (image is processed by the Helix 9 CHIRP in the bow).

I got the Helix 8 MSI+ CHO for a few reasons.

1) I didn't need the transducer as I had the Mega 360, so may as well save the money.
2) I was planning to network to bigger screens so I didn't need another big screen as I could see the Mega 360 on the bigger ones already.
3) I am planning to use this setup for ice fishing and a Helix 8 uses less power than a bigger screen so I don't have to carry a big battery to make it through the day.
4) I have the Helix 8 setup to use on a portable shuttle so I can put it in my small 12' boat as well. A bigger screen would use more power.

To answer your specific question though, in a kayak you are pretty close to the screen so I would think an 8 would be fine. You can also select just a portion of the 360 to display (front, rear, either side) so you can see a specific area in larger detail if you want.

If you are going with a big boat with lots of power and you don't have other screens to use, I would probably go as big as your budget and space allows. I had other factors that played into my choice.

SS

dam SS....with all that "stuff" I would require to have a IT fella on speed dial:)

on my yak I run my little garmin striker....might need to upgrade....just gotta tell the wife you said it was recomended:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lambo
05-20-2021, 10:25 AM
Running out of room on my boat for accessories but might have to make room. I already have 2 sonars, with this interfere with with other sonars?

SamSteele
05-20-2021, 10:48 AM
dam SS....with all that "stuff" I would require to have a IT fella on speed dial:)

on my yak I run my little garmin striker....might need to upgrade....just gotta tell the wife you said it was recomended:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Feel free to blame me for all your future purchases, just don’t introduce me to your wife so I don’t catch flak!

SamSteele
05-20-2021, 10:51 AM
Running out of room on my boat for accessories but might have to make room. I already have 2 sonars, with this interfere with with other sonars?

I usually run only one transducer at a time to ensure you don’t get crosstalk from one to the other. If they are all networkable Bird units you can replicate the screen on the others. I haven’t tried it with different sonar brands but all the bass fishing pros run Mega 360 and others at the same time. Might take some adjustment of the noise filters to get things crystal clear.

Lambo
05-20-2021, 01:07 PM
I have a Lowrance transducer on one side of the boat and a Hummingbird on the other. I was worried about interference but hasn't been an issue. I think if I keep the Mega 360 at the middle/front of the boat, it should be okay?

SamSteele
05-20-2021, 04:49 PM
I have a Lowrance transducer on one side of the boat and a Hummingbird on the other. I was worried about interference but hasn't been an issue. I think if I keep the Mega 360 at the middle/front of the boat, it should be okay?

Shoot me a PM with you Bird model and I’ll see if I can help you figure out a setup that will work for you.

cube
05-21-2021, 10:58 AM

You should be ok as all three would be using different frequencies. Lowrance and bird use slightly different frequencies from each other so I have never had an issue using them together. If I recall bird actually uses 186 khz while Lowrance uses 200 kHz. The 360 uses a different set of frequencies yet so I would bet you should not have a problem.

SamSteele
06-03-2021, 08:20 AM
Thought I would add a picture showing just the “Front” view. I used this while pulling blades to help direct steering the electric motor. You can see the rock pile ahead and to the left. Range was set to 40 FOW. Depth was 9 FOW. Each distance ring is 10 feet.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210603/a58f91233367fdb74d75f8b8153fc869.jpg