PDA

View Full Version : Sask fishing lake suggestions?

capper
05-21-2021, 04:35 PM
Planning on heading to do some fishing first week of June. Looking to target some
Bigger walleye and pike. Could anyone provide some info or suggestions on lakes. We were thinking keeley, turtle or deifinbaker. Havnt been to any of these lakes but have heard go things over the years. Not looking for honey holes, more just advice and which lake may be better to try. Open to other suggestions. Tobin is a touch to far for us for a 3 day trip so that’s out. Trying to keep it around 6hrs from Edmonton. Thanks for any info.

mlee
05-21-2021, 07:35 PM
Dore.

kingrat
05-21-2021, 07:51 PM
Dore.

X2

capper
05-22-2021, 03:43 PM
Thanks, I’ll look into dore.

saskfly
05-22-2021, 05:49 PM
Hackett

dodgeboy1979
05-25-2021, 08:22 AM
Keeley has a toll booth set up by the locals right now. $100 to go in and $100 to leave the lodge area per vehicle.

Freedom55
05-25-2021, 08:51 AM
Keeley has a toll booth set up by the locals right now. $100 to go in and $100 to leave the lodge area per vehicle.

I guess that's out.

pikeman06
05-25-2021, 12:21 PM
Diefenbacher by all means. There's more water and fish in that lake than one could fish in 2 lifetimes.

EZM
05-25-2021, 03:29 PM

Is this like a blockade shakedown? where does the money go? I am quite interested .......... maybe I misunderstood your post .... sounds like locals have set up their own toll booth trying to make people pay to get in, or out of the area.

I'm quite curious if not allowing you to leave is considered unlawful confinement or kidnapping.:)

On the bright side you can phone your boss at work and tell him you are being held against your will and will need to stay at the lake for the summer.

EZM
05-25-2021, 03:31 PM
We are at Tobin June 1-8.

Worth the little bit of an extra drive if you are serious about big pike and big walleye. I don't think the quality of this lake can be understated.

Especially at this time of year when they are biting and fishing is usually at it's best.

Bushmaster
05-25-2021, 03:39 PM
The FN were restricted this winter to only one net drop at Keeley and they thought it wasn't worth while. The road from the hiway to Keeley goes thru their land and so they are penalizing people by imposing the trespassing fee.

deschambault
05-25-2021, 03:45 PM
The only trouble with Tobin early is it can be muddy if there is significant rainfall and snow melt upstream. That's what happened to us last year and it limited what we could use - bait and very noisy crankbaits so the fish could hear or smell them.

Drewski Canuck
05-25-2021, 03:51 PM
The FN were restricted this winter to only one net drop at Keeley and they thought it wasn't worth while. The road from the hiway to Keeley goes thru their land and so they are penalizing people by imposing the trespassing fee.

The Treaties state that the Public has the right to use any roads, railways, going through an Indian Reserve. From what you are describing, this is not on the Indian Reserve, and even if it was, it is illegal.

Drewski

Freedom55
05-26-2021, 07:43 AM
Raise your hand if you were not planning on fishing Keeley Lake in Saskatchewan until someone told you you couldn't.

There was a thread earlier in the month that discussed this and the long and short of it is you have to drive past a sign that states "No Visitors" before you get to the toll booth. The O.P. was not looking for places to not go.

Free

CptnBlues63
05-26-2021, 10:01 AM

Worth the little bit of an extra drive if you are serious about big pike and big walleye. I don't think the quality of this lake can be understated.

Especially at this time of year when they are biting and fishing is usually at it's best.

This! ^^^^^

Dore, Hackett and a lot of those lakes were much better places to fish back in the 70's. We stopped fishing them in the 80's because they got hammered so hard. Granted I haven't fished Dore since like, 1983 so they may have improved but if you want to go after big walleye and pike, I'd go to Tobin.

guru fisher
05-26-2021, 10:38 AM
DORE for giants !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lowrance Fishburn
05-26-2021, 11:18 AM

Hey EZM where are you staying? I will be headed up there from the 31-6th. I'm pretty familiar with the whole area now after having been there so many times. Would be cool to meet up. Cheers.

Lowrance Fishburn
05-26-2021, 11:21 AM
The only trouble with Tobin early is it can be muddy if there is significant rainfall and snow melt upstream. That's what happened to us last year and it limited what we could use - bait and very noisy crankbaits so the fish could hear or smell them.

This is very true^. Last spring the river was so high, muddy and fast you could barely fish it at all. We had some success out in the lake but apparently after we were there it got even worse. A good friend of mine lives at Tobin and said the water level is low, river is flowing clean and the runoff from the dams is very average so fishing should be good to go. Are you heading up again this year? Cheers.

deschambault
05-26-2021, 11:40 AM
We likely will go back but later in the year. We are currently doing a bunch of work getting a new RV lot ready for occupancy and this will take another month or so. It was awful last year but that is the only time I have seen it like that.

capper
05-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Wow can’t believe the news about the blockade? I was on the phone with keelee lodge twice last week and they didn’t mention anything. Not going to there anyways but still surprised. Tobin is a must for next year! We
Booked a spot at dore for 3 nights for This trip. Will share some pics when we get back. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, Grateful for the advise.

Bushmaster
05-26-2021, 12:56 PM
capper, did Keeley have any available rooms?

capper
05-26-2021, 07:07 PM
Yes they did, as of 3 days ago they had at least 1 available. Maybe more

Bushmaster
05-26-2021, 07:10 PM
So it seems as though the blockade is having an effect. Used to be pretty tough to get in there this time of year.

7mmremmag
05-26-2021, 08:31 PM
I have a lot at Turtle.
If your looking for above average walleye and pike fishing this is not the lake to go to.
Are there some good fish caught there? Yes.
But it is fished very hard.

OL_JR
05-26-2021, 08:37 PM
I've always wanted to try Tobin but from what I've gathered the best time to fish the river part is fall when I'm usually balls deep into hunting season. If those experienced don't mind sharing what should someone expect come mid July to mid August?

Rvsask
05-26-2021, 09:14 PM
There is no blockade going into Keeley, but everyone thinks so. There were maybe three rented rooms and cabins. I spent the weekend there at our cabin. Everyone is an expert on things it seems. I caught a giant pike, released it as I always do the big ones. Slower than most May longs but spring came way earlier.

Dore is better.
Defenbaker is terrific.
Last Mountain is great too.

penguin
05-26-2021, 09:29 PM
We also have a lot at Turtle. I fish there lots because we are there, but it's not a place to plan a fishing trip. I target walleye, don't know much about the pike.

Lowrance Fishburn
05-27-2021, 09:21 AM
I've always wanted to try Tobin but from what I've gathered the best time to fish the river part is fall when I'm usually balls deep into hunting season. If those experienced don't mind sharing what should someone expect come mid July to mid August?

Well the water is warmer and the fish, particularity the big fish, are much less active during the summer months. You can still find them but it is much trickier than either the spring or fall. Spring time the bite is on big time and you catch lots of fish, mostly small but the big ones are feeding as well. Late fall you have your best chance of landing a big girl but the bite slows down a lot and you wont catch nearly as many fish in a day - and its cold....So July/August are nice because you get the best weather typically but its hit or miss.