PDA

View Full Version : Buying A Boat In The US

Poppa
05-24-2021, 06:00 PM
Hi fellas - hoping someone with recent experience can help with info.

With the dollar rising, when the border reopens, my wife and I are going to be looking at buying pre owned south of the border where there's a lot of great deals.

Has anyone done this before? I have a lot of questions. Insurance before hand? Import fees at the border?

Any info you might have would be greatly appreciated!

topgun
05-24-2021, 06:04 PM
Have the dealer submit paperwork at least 72 hrs before you plan on coming back. Pay your gst at the border and away you go

Poppa
05-24-2021, 07:22 PM
Have the dealer submit paperwork at least 72 hrs before you plan on coming back. Pay your gst at the border and away you go

Would absolutely be pre owned private... Not at a dealer. Curious about what all paperwork is necessary.

marky_mark
05-24-2021, 09:59 PM
They care about the trailer at the border
Not the boat
Have to make sure you have the title for it and it has to have a visible serial number with all the info

Envitro
05-24-2021, 10:18 PM
They care about the trailer at the border
Not the boat
Have to make sure you have the title for it and it has to have a visible serial number with all the info

And submit it 72 hours to the U.S. Homeland Security export department before coming back across the border.

The U.S. guys have to clear the export (no liens, etc.) and once that's done come to the Canadian side and declare the purchase amount, pay the GST and get on your way home!

marky_mark
05-24-2021, 10:26 PM
And submit it 72 hours to the U.S. Homeland Security export department before coming back across the border.

The U.S. guys have to clear the export (no liens, etc.) and once that's done come to the Canadian side and declare the purchase amount, pay the GST and get on your way home!

Trailers used to never require the waiting period

fordtruckin
05-24-2021, 10:40 PM
Not sure what great deals your referring too. Since covid everything used is running at a premium price! Check Craigslist and see everyone thinks their worn out piece of junk is worth more than new.

walleyechaser
05-25-2021, 05:07 AM
Not sure what great deals your referring too. Since covid everything used is running at a premium price! Check Craigslist and see everyone thinks their worn out piece of junk is worth more than new.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Probably would end up spending more once you add time, tax at the border etc.

nick0danger
05-25-2021, 06:49 AM

It started before COVID even, my brother (lives in Tri-Cities Washington) sold his boat for a few grand over selling price the summer of 2019, boat sales where warming up before COVID and its just silly now.

Poppa
05-25-2021, 02:14 PM
way way WAY cheaper in the States for sure... if you guys follow "Walleye Boats For Sale" on FB or the Walleye Central Classifieds site, the prices in the US are at least 10k cheaper than here in Canada. I think part of it is everything cheaper in the US combined with more boats for sale down there, so the competition means they can't dramatically inflate the price. The key is the dollar being near par, which hopefully will come later this year. You can get relatively new 18' Lund/Alumacraft with a 90 tiller, loaded with electronics and bow mount for around 30k, where you'd pay 40-50k in Canada. It's really something.

Sea Hawk
05-25-2021, 05:30 PM
I bought my boat down south. you will have submit paperwork to the us border people at the location you plan to cross 3 days before you arrive at the border. I called ahead to the border to be sure all was in order before I started home.The canadian side was only concerned about the trailer and collecting the GST. You will have to pay the RIV fee which was just over 200.00 dollars when i did it. Your trailer will have to have the right stickers on it to be allowed into canada. Your best bet is to contact the RIV people prior to buying to check if there are any issues bringing the trailer into Canada. They are very helpful and they Know their stuff. You will have to take the trailer to Crappy Tire to be inspected and get RIV approval. Without that you cannot register the trailer. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. I have imported a boat and trailer as well as a vehicle. Could not believe the money I saved.