PDA

View Full Version : My first Brook trout

CardiacCowboy
06-04-2021, 11:16 AM
I may have caught one in my younger years but then I only knew two trout species Rainbow and Funny looking Rainbow.

Went to a mountain stocker pond on Wednesday to escape the heat for abit. Fishing was slow so decided to go hunting for a brookie. Been here 9 times in the last couple of years. Never caught a brook or heard of anyone catching one but mitchell guide says there are some here. Decide to head to a part of the pond that the bobber crowd never goes to. No rises, clear water and no fish to be see but I am on a mission. Clear water, super sunny, so I decide to fish spinners slow and deep. Nothing on silver, nothing on gold, have a rainbow holographic panther martin that I thought might work as this pond is heavily stocked and the large brooks might not eat them but probably used to chasing them away.

No bites, no followers. Just when I am about to give up...pow. Instantly I knew that was no stocker rainbow, it freaks out fighting like crazy and never calmed down. Wasn't sure if I had caught my prey or a large rainbow, it was thrashing so much I couldn't even see it to net had to aim for the splashes.

Finally in the net but did I get my prey? Definitely not a rainbow, quick check for spots to make sure it wasn't a bull to put back quickly, nope I had caught my first brookie, 15 inches. I was so happy and more then a little proud of my self. In the next 3 hours lost a smaller but decent brookie and one more super small 5incher brook.

This is why I fish. It is a puzzle to solved. A challenge to conquer. An adventure waiting to happen. A road less traveled to take.

Hope you enjoyed my story.

Rikkles Fisher
06-04-2021, 01:21 PM
Nice catch! Those brookies can be elusive sometimes!

58thecat
06-04-2021, 01:51 PM
that's fine table fare right there. Beans and wieners as a side dish!

trigger7mm
06-04-2021, 04:14 PM
Nice brookie. Congrats.

smith88
06-04-2021, 08:44 PM
Congrats on a great looking fish!

CardiacCowboy
06-04-2021, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys. It was such a great experience. Looking to stroke cutthroat, dolly vernon, off trout list this year as well.

StiksnStrings
06-04-2021, 10:25 PM
Congrats, it's always nice to catch that "first" one.

Moosetalker
06-08-2021, 05:09 PM
The ones out of Malign lake taste fantastic... Then again so do the Rainbows from that icy cold water.

AlbertanGP
06-09-2021, 10:03 AM
Great story. It's always good to see perseverance pay off. :happy0180:

Frank_NK28
06-09-2021, 10:36 AM
Congrats!