PDA

View Full Version : Portable fish finder

Smoky buck
06-04-2021, 07:15 PM
Anyone have experience with portable fish finders? Any suggestions or ones to avoid

Looking for something for the kayak without carrying a large battery

Willowtrail
06-04-2021, 07:20 PM
Anyone have experience with portable fish finders? Any suggestions or ones to avoid

Looking for something for the kayak without carrying a large battery

Contact Sureshot on the forum. He’s selling my old Lowrsnce Hook2 5” ice unit. Would only need a summer transducer to mount on your kayak and it would work great.

Gbuss
06-04-2021, 08:02 PM
Garmin stryker 4 portable ice fishing bundle will cost you 260 plus tax and is awsome 4 season unit. I run it on my pontoon and ice fishing.

Gbuss

haggis57
06-04-2021, 08:45 PM
How about this Humminbird Fishin Buddy 120. These work great on float tubes, pontoon boats and kayaks. I've been using one for 8 years. The batteries last longer in this B&W model and the side scan is useful as well. This one is for sale in the Buy and Sell right now.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=400067

Ken

58thecat
06-05-2021, 06:29 AM
Garmin stryker 4 portable ice fishing bundle will cost you 260 plus tax and is awsome 4 season unit. I run it on my pontoon and ice fishing.

Gbuss

I second this unit too....simple to use and very effective:sHa_shakeshout:

Are you looking to hard mount something?

Smoky buck
06-05-2021, 06:43 AM
The biggest factor is I want a small or internal power source. This will be used for the kayak only. My Hobie kayak does have a easy spot to hull mount a transducer. I will use a rail mount that can be detached for transport for the rest of the unit.

My big boat is rigged already and I am not a big ice fisherman so not important for ice fishing use

Depth, structure, and marking fish is all I need.

So anything compact with a small or internal power source

Gbuss
06-05-2021, 07:10 AM
The biggest factor is I want a small or internal power source. This will be used for the kayak only. My Hobie kayak does have a easy spot to hull mount a transducer. I will use a rail mount that can be detached for transport for the rest of the unit.

My big boat is rigged already and I am not a big ice fisherman so not important for ice fishing use

Depth, structure, and marking fish is all I need.

So anything compact with a small or internal power source

The garmin stryker 4 can run off one of those 7amphr lead acid batteries for 3 days on one charge and those batteries are about 40 bucks.

For the garmin without the case will run you arround 160 to 180

Gbuss

trigger7mm
06-05-2021, 07:13 AM
Garmin Striker 4. I have one and like it.

Smoky buck
06-05-2021, 08:24 AM
Ok garmin striker goes on the check out list

Any other suggestions?

Freedom55
06-05-2021, 11:03 AM
I was using a Humminbird 160 portable for my tinner and I rigged a stick device to use while ice fishing. I do neither anymore but this has what you need in b+w and its own rechargeable battery. I've had it for a while so I don't know if they are still available new. Like a Piranhamax without the color or the cost. If you ever get over this way I could make a trade.

Free

58thecat
06-06-2021, 08:29 AM
I was using a Humminbird 160 portable for my tinner and I rigged a stick device to use while ice fishing. I do neither anymore but this has what you need in b+w and its own rechargeable battery. I've had it for a while so I don't know if they are still available new. Like a Piranhamax without the color or the cost. If you ever get over this way I could make a trade.

Free

I got one of these ol'buggers too..it now sits on my work bench as my tinner got a helix upgrade...the 160 lacks the gps ability to mark waypoints, the little striker is a very good bundle all in one and kinda suits the yak life style.:)

Smoky buck
06-06-2021, 08:33 AM
No need for sticks our kayaks are capable of mounting transducers and running wire through the hull

Going shopping today