PDA

View Full Version : PB x 2

StiksnStrings
06-04-2021, 07:20 PM
Went up to Calling lake for a couple a days with some buddies for our annual trip for the opener there and the fishing was great. First day out was really rough water ( we are in 14' tinners) but, none stop action throughout the day and evening. Around 8ish I hooked into a nice one and after a short fight my personal best walleye comes to the boat. A quick picture, back into the water and she swims away. I thought that made the trip being my biggest walleye but, there was more to come.

We fished the next morning/afternoon and the bite was still hot but, I needed a break (dislocated my shoulder end of March) so it was back to camp for dinner. We got a late start that evening, 8ish but, the water was like glass and the walleye were biting. I had lost two crankbaits to the bottom when, I thought I'd snagged bottom again when my line went sideways. It didn't take me long to realize I was hooked onto something big. When my line was straight down beside the boat I reminded myself "this is were most of them are lost". Slowly and gently I brought her up and my bud netted her. I remember thinking she barely fit in the net. Again, a quick picture and a measurement and back she went. She was slow to recover so we gave time and in a bit she gave a hard kick and down she went. Seeing her swim down and away was the best part of the trip. You could not wipe the smile off my face, never caught such a fish.

Pictures don't do the fish justice but, I'll remember the trip well.

RACKER
06-04-2021, 09:44 PM
Congrats on some great fish. It’s always a blast when ya realize that snag is a huge fish. That makes the trip so worth it. Hope you keep outdoing your PB on all your trips.

Mayhem
06-05-2021, 01:36 PM
Nice fish...That smile says it all.

Glad you guys had another successful and even better trip this year.

58thecat
06-05-2021, 04:07 PM
Simply awesome!

Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-JR-
06-05-2021, 05:42 PM
Heard they are having a large walleye derby this weekend .

bigrfish
06-06-2021, 10:42 AM
Yes they did. Around 70 boats from what one of the entrants had told me. Apparently they lost Moose and Pinehurst on the Western Walleye tour. Was a little surprised they got Calling. A little disappointed in a few of the entrants tactics though. Is it normal practice now to bomb in on someone within 15-20 feet to see what they are doing? And we were fishing outside their so called "boundry". Maybe some of you tourney guys can enlighten me on this. Anyways... Glad to see you guys had fun. We did very well also. Arms were worn out by the end of our trip as well.
Cheers... Some beauties ya got there.

Sundancefisher
06-06-2021, 11:21 AM
Good job. Great memories.

StiksnStrings
06-07-2021, 08:34 AM
Heard they are having a large walleye derby this weekend .

That would explain all those big beautiful Rangers and Lunds we saw on the water. Likely prefishing. Oh to dream!

SamSteele
06-07-2021, 10:05 AM
Is it normal practice now to bomb in on someone within 15-20 feet to see what they are doing? And we were fishing outside their so called "boundry". Maybe some of you tourney guys can enlighten me on this.

There seem to be a few that act like this on every lake, not just at tournaments. A couple weekends ago I was filming a slip bobber video and a boat load of people came trolling by me with 5-6 lines out close enough that I needed to reel my slip bobber in so they didn't drive over it. No tournament involved there, just a lack of common courtesy it seems.

To the OP, congrats on a great day out on the water. Looks like the weather held up great to boot! I've been on Calling in calm days and windy days, and calm days are definitely better!

SS

AlbertanGP
06-07-2021, 10:25 AM
Great fish. In all my years in the area, I've still never made it to Calling Lake. Looks like I'm missing out.

Regarding tournament fishing, like everything else, participants' IQs drop about 100 points when money is involved. I can remember bottom bouncing one Spruce Point tournament on Lesser Slave in the mid-90's where I literally had to stand on the bow of the boat and kick other boats out of my way as I trolled across a big sand flat. Everyone swarmed us when we out-fished them on the same flat. Too bad we hid the huge #7 Colorado blades we imported from the US that were responsible for our success. :)