PDA

View Full Version : Prince Rupert fishing trip from Alberta??!!

lonehunter
06-07-2021, 12:02 PM
Thinking of a trip to prince Rupert in July , have anyone been there this season from Alberta, is there any covid restrictions in Alberta BC border, I am driving there with my own boat from Alberta. Thanks for any feedback and help

Ken07AOVette
06-07-2021, 12:18 PM
1- 0 retention for Springs until July 13.
2- possibly no coho there that early

I just got back. The weather was HORRIBLE and the bite was definately not on. That said, I have gone many times on July 1 and cleaned up.

There are no restrictions stopping Albertans going into BC. The only thing not allowed is cross region traffic. There are signs everywhere that say no recreational travel, and there are campsights and yards jammed with trailer everywhere.

There are of course many lanes for Albertans to pay coming into Jasper, but on the way back you hardly have to slow down. (This has always really annoyed me). Stay in the far right lane, and go through.

Douglas N
06-07-2021, 12:18 PM
We have a trip and hotel booked for the end of June. I just checked with the hotel and they won’t confirm the hotel booking until the travel restrictions are lifted, which won’t happen until June 15 at the earliest.

Ken07AOVette
06-07-2021, 12:20 PM
We have a trip and hotel booked for the end of June. I just checked with the hotel and they won’t confirm the hotel booking until the travel restrictions are lifted, which won’t happen until June 15 at the earliest.

Call another hotel.

Or- book on expedia and get a better rate.

There are no restrictions in place for us, that is an employee taking matters into their own hands

Douglas N
06-07-2021, 12:24 PM
Call another hotel.

I’ll wait it out. The 15th is not far away.

fish99
06-07-2021, 03:49 PM
towed the boat to Vancouver a little over a week ago , lots of signs about rec travel not allowed. went thru a boat inspection in golden for zebra mussels no issues there or all the way to coast. good luck .

Ken07AOVette
06-07-2021, 05:28 PM
towed the boat to Vancouver a little over a week ago , lots of signs about rec travel not allowed. went thru a boat inspection in golden for zebra mussels no issues there or all the way to coast. good luck .

I did the same at Jasper. I gave them some orange creamsicle twizzlers they were eyeing up, they came back with shamois, drink cozies, stickers. Nice kids working there lol. They said lots of Albertan's on the way to Kitimat and Rupert. 0 issues with that at all.

lonehunter
06-07-2021, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all the helpful feedback and Info, I will plan the trip on third week of July

Positrac
06-07-2021, 05:41 PM
No restrictions on Albertans is actually not true. Cross border travel into B.C. is supposed to be for essential travel only at this time. But, for what it’s worth, it doesn’t appear that anyone is going to physically stop you and I haven’t heard of any fines being handed out. I’m originally from B.C. so I still spend a bit of time on the Hunting BC forum and it sounds like the province is chalked-full of red licence plates right now so you wouldn’t be the only one there. By July you shouldn’t have any issues. I’m heading to the Island the third week of July with the family myself.

Right off the B.C. Government Site:

Entering B.C.
From another province or territory
Road signs are up at the Alberta/B.C. border reminding travellers that all inter-provincial travel at this time should be essential. People from any province or territory are subject to the same travel restrictions as everyone in B.C.

If you travel to B.C. for essential reasons from another province or territory, you do not need to self-quarantine when entering B.C.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/travel/current?keyword=Cross&keyword=border&keyword=travel#entering

Ken07AOVette
06-07-2021, 06:17 PM
No restrictions on Albertans is actually not true. Cross border travel into B.C. is supposed to be for essential travel only at this time. But, for what it’s worth, it doesn’t appear that anyone is going to physically stop you and I haven’t heard of any fines being handed out. I’m originally from B.C. so I still spend a bit of time on the Hunting BC forum and it sounds like the province is chalked-full of red licence plates right now so you wouldn’t be the only one there. By July you shouldn’t have any issues. I’m heading to the Island the third week of July with the family myself.

Right off the B.C. Government Site:

Entering B.C.
From another province or territory
Road signs are up at the Alberta/B.C. border reminding travellers that all inter-provincial travel at this time should be essential. People from any province or territory are subject to the same travel restrictions as everyone in B.C.

If you travel to B.C. for essential reasons from another province or territory, you do not need to self-quarantine when entering B.C.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/travel/current?keyword=Cross&keyword=border&keyword=travel#entering

Of course there are no enforcing agencies, they cant stop their own residents from leaving and going into Alberta!

CDNOutdoorsman
06-07-2021, 08:07 PM
1- 0 retention for Springs until July 13.
2- possibly no coho there that early

I just got back. The weather was HORRIBLE and the bite was definately not on. That said, I have gone many times on July 1 and cleaned up.

There are no restrictions stopping Albertans going into BC. The only thing not allowed is cross region traffic. There are signs everywhere that say no recreational travel, and there are campsights and yards jammed with trailer everywhere.

There are of course many lanes for Albertans to pay coming into Jasper, but on the way back you hardly have to slow down. (This has always really annoyed me). Stay in the far right lane, and go through.

0 retention for springs... WTH?
I'm heading out there in a couple weeks and this really doesn't make me happy.

HuyFishin
06-07-2021, 08:33 PM
0 retention for springs... WTH?
I'm heading out there in a couple weeks and this really doesn't make me happy.

yup! politics got involved. People are constantly protesting. No fun for the hook and line angler. Its more geared towards the commercial fisherman. They did the same thing last year.

CDNOutdoorsman
06-07-2021, 09:46 PM
I think this is something that the lodges/charters should let their clients know when booking/in advance or at least when these rules come into effect. If I would hav eknown this was going to happen or a possibility, I would have booked either earlier or later than we did. How the hell do they think shutting the retention down for a few weeks is going to make any difference or changes to the numbers VS commercial/native slaughters...

Smoky buck
06-07-2021, 11:04 PM
yup! politics got involved. People are constantly protesting. No fun for the hook and line angler. Its more geared towards the commercial fisherman. They did the same thing last year.

Actually a big part of it is FN dispute than commercial related when it comes to salmon in BC

The truth is though there has been a big decline in salmon numbers. I fished them off and on for 30 years and I really started to notice it in the last 15years. BC does need to do something but it’s going to take more then just closing hook&line harvest

Esox
06-08-2021, 07:39 AM
I’ll wait it out. The 15th is not far away.

Which hotel so we can all avoid it?

calgarygringo
06-08-2021, 07:48 AM
I have been working in B.C. for the last week and just crossed back into Alberta yesterday afternoon. Didn't see anything other than a few signs about staying in your own region but that's all. No stops or anyone hassling me with my Alberta plates. I carry an essential worker letter with me all the time in case I get hassled as I travel the whole country but so far nobody has cared.

Only got stopped at the border near Kenora a month ago at the Ontario check stop and officer and I chatted and he told me they were turning around anyone with rv's and boats just going for a holiday but that is the only thing I have seen during covid at all.

Douglas N
06-08-2021, 12:28 PM
Which hotel so we can all avoid it?

I’m not going to trash them on here for following the government restrictions. If you are planning on heading there, call and try to book a hotel. There are very few options in PR.

If you don’t believe me, scroll down to “additional measures”.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/travel/current

surhuntsalot
06-11-2021, 11:45 PM
I’m not going to trash them on here for following the government restrictions. If you are planning on heading there, call and try to book a hotel. There are very few options in PR.

I have had guests fishing from Alberta for the past several weeks staying at the Pacific Inn, Crest Hotel, and the Prestige with no trouble. Any hotels we’ve talked to simply said “We are open for business “…

wallz
06-14-2021, 10:53 AM
There is a toll set up in Prince George for you Albertans.

It will cost you one fish each on the way home, preferably spring or coho.

Email me and I will meet you on the highway to receive your payment, any time of day or night. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/images/smilies/sHa_shakeshout.gif

Marty S
06-15-2021, 07:39 AM

I don't see any "additional measures"

I do see rec travel is allowed withing province.

I also see no restrictions for non BC residents aside from they must follow BC residents guidelines.... everybody getting duped?

smith88
06-15-2021, 08:23 AM
My parents drove out through Prince George to Rupert and then on the ferry to Haida Gwaii, no issues. Alberta plates.

Talking moose
06-15-2021, 08:41 AM
I just spent 8 days in bc staying in hotels from mcbride, terrace, lilliout, Squamish and Kelowna. No issues. Very friendly.

Douglas N
06-15-2021, 08:46 AM
I don't see any "additional measures"

I do see rec travel is allowed withing province.

I also see no restrictions for non BC residents aside from they must follow BC residents guidelines.... everybody getting duped?

The travel restrictions were lifted yesterday. Site has been updated and those references removed.