PDA

View Full Version : Fish Poacher's

Moosetalker
06-08-2021, 05:22 PM
Well sad to say they are still active. Seems the more remote the location the more they are willing to break the rules.:mad3:

Spent a couple of days at the Mouth of the Pembina.
Friday the 4th Out in the old tinny had a group on a red and black jet boat tool in they caught at least a couple undersized walleye that were not seen to be released. No visible # on boat that we could see going to have to carry bino's again.

Next day had a mass of SXS and Quads show up and and had a family of 5 plus a random other male. they also caught a couple of undersized fish that were sent up to show Mom and never reappeared for release.
:angry3: Way to teach your kids Eh.

TROLLER
06-09-2021, 12:52 PM
When pluralizing a word, no apostrophe is needed.

You thinking of becoming a card carrying teacher or what:sHa_sarcasticlol:

JDK71
06-09-2021, 12:59 PM
where at

Moosetalker
06-09-2021, 01:39 PM
Where the Pembina runs into the Athabasca need ATV or Jet boat to get there unless you don't care about getting stuck and destroying a 4X4.

-JR-
06-10-2021, 11:04 AM
How was the fishing at that area ? Its been years since I have been there .

chickensashimi
06-10-2021, 11:30 AM
Well sad to say they are still active. Seems the more remote the location the more they are willing to break the rules.:mad3:

Spent a couple of days at the Mouth of the Pembina.
Friday the 4th Out in the old tinny had a group on a red and black jet boat tool in they caught at least a couple undersized walleye that were not seen to be released. heard a couple of remarks to each other alluding to themselves being being Asian {They were not} No visible # on boat that we could see going to have to carry bino's again.

Next day had a mass of SXS and Quads show up and and had a family of 5 plus a random other male. they also caught a couple of undersized fish that were sent up to show Mom and never reappeared for release.
:angry3: Way to teach your kids Eh.

Unfortunately, since the Rona, poaching seems prevalent than ever, did you do anything about it, or just talk about on here?

Moosetalker
06-10-2021, 05:39 PM
Burden of Proof rests with the accuser.

Being as I was unable to ascertain any identification, no names, vehicle license plate, or boat registration to connect individuals with what appeared to happen it would have been all hearsay, baseless accusation.

As far as expediency reporting there is no cell reception at this location. This Old codger is not about to go confronting a bunch of beer swilling dope smoking semi aggressive individuals about whether or not they released what looked like an undersized fish. The Family and other guy were on shore I was out in the boat 40 meters away.

Be assured if I had better definitive evidence pictures video etc. I would have called the local CO.

Otherwise not to say anyone here would be guilty of breaking or bending rules but in the off chance One of those individuals are readers/members and they see this they might just forgo repeating. So small benefit.

In response to -JR- Fishing was so-so nothing over 45cm for Walleye a single small pike lost a larger one who took my favorite crank-bait. and of course a couple small burbs.

Water was quite dirty in both rivers and fair bit of logs and other detritus coming down the Athabasca.

Big change from past the point has now about washed out steep bank 2 meter drop to river unable to launch from that way anymore had to slide in at a narrow less steep trail to the Athabaska Needed to use my winch to lift boat back up taking out Bein old an all.
Way too many people cutting trees and willows to have camp fires or create more fishing access spots. Dead or missing vegetation fails at holding the banks up. Huge poplar snag directly in front and 5-6 meters out Wife managed to hook it several times in the 4 days with a little help from the wind.

Frank_NK28
06-10-2021, 07:16 PM

Being as I was unable to ascertain any identification, no names, vehicle license plate, or boat registration to connect individuals with what appeared to happen it would have been all hearsay, baseless accusation.

As far as expediency reporting there is no cell reception at this location. This Old codger is not about to go confronting a bunch of beer swilling dope smoking semi aggressive individuals about whether or not they released what looked like an undersized fish. The Family and other guy were on shore I was out in the boat 40 meters away.

Be assured if I had better definitive evidence pictures video etc. I would have called the local CO.

Otherwise not to say anyone here would be guilty of breaking or bending rules but in the off chance One of those individuals are readers/members and they see this they might just forgo repeating. So small benefit.

In response to -JR- Fishing was so-so nothing over 45cm for Walleye a single small pike lost a larger one who took my favorite crank-bait. and of course a couple small burbs.

Water was quite dirty in both rivers and fair bit of logs and other detritus coming down the Athabasca.

Big change from past the point has now about washed out steep bank 2 meter drop to river unable to launch from that way anymore had to slide in at a narrow less steep trail to the Athabaska Needed to use my winch to lift boat back up taking out Bein old an all.
Way too many people cutting trees and willows to have camp fires or create more fishing access spots. Dead or missing vegetation fails at holding the banks up. Huge poplar snag directly in front and 5-6 meters out Wife managed to hook it several times in the 4 days with a little help from the wind.

Then why come on here and make accusations about poaching when you are not sure if the fish caught were released or not or could not even be sure of species etc? :rolleye2:

-JR-
06-10-2021, 09:25 PM

Sounds like it sure has changed. I wonder what it was like when David Thompson start the Pacific fur trading post back in the 1800s right at that river intersection.

I can just imagine all the boats pulled up on shore selling their hides to him .

alacringa
06-10-2021, 09:45 PM
You thinking of becoming a card carrying teacher or what:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Well he's correct. If the OP speaks English, they should know how to write it as well. It sounds like they don't even have evidence to support what they are saying.

CardiacCowboy
06-11-2021, 02:13 AM
Well he's correct. If the OP speaks English, they should know how to write it as well. It sounds like they don't even have evidence to support what they are saying.

Come on...evidence is what you need in court. This is a discussion forum and what I read I will go with his statement that poachers are active. These kind of posts make me more likely to report as it high lilting a problem.

Yeah I know made a error in grammatical usage in above, don't feel like using the backspace button.

Moosetalker
06-11-2021, 05:16 PM
Guess I am guilty of incorrect title topic posting.

Should have titled thread "Suspected Fish Poacher's."
Followed by other disclaimers such as allegedly.

Now I wonder if that would have been done correctly Would it have garnered the same response from frank ? reply was almost defensive in nature. If I noticed someone walking down your back alley peering over your fence or driving past your house slowly pausing at the end of your driveway would you like a neighborly heads up or want me to just ignore it till they steal your kids bike or the motor of your boat.

I expected something along the line of Too bad you couldn't get proof maybe they will lay low or their luck will run out!

-JR- I was unaware there was a trade post at this location. I know the Thompson or Turner Expedition dig site where archeological crews cordoned of their grid. But this was 1000 meters or so upstream on the banks of the Athabasca before the Pembina runs in. A friend and I had a look see the year after they were done back in the late 80's early 90s if i remember correctly.

There was a Post built by Peter Pond at the Embarrass river Portage and a HBC post at Fort Assinaboine. There was an Indigenous set up trading site where the Slave river runs in as well I believe Red Bullets History of Alberta thread covers it.

Frank_NK28
06-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Guess I am guilty of incorrect title topic posting.

Should have titled thread "Suspected Fish Poacher's."
Followed by other disclaimers such as allegedly.

Now I wonder if that would have been done correctly Would it have garnered the same response from frank ? reply was almost defensive in nature. If I noticed someone walking down your back alley peering over your fence or driving past your house slowly pausing at the end of your driveway would you like a neighborly heads up or want me to just ignore it till they steal your kids bike or the motor of your boat.

I expected something along the line of Too bad you couldn't get proof maybe they will lay low or their luck will run out!

-JR- I was unaware there was a trade post at this location. I know the Thompson or Turner Expedition dig site where archeological crews cordoned of their grid. But this was 1000 meters or so upstream on the banks of the Athabasca before the Pembina runs in. A friend and I had a look see the year after they were done back in the late 80's early 90s if i remember correctly.

There was a Post built by Peter Pond at the Embarrass river Portage and a HBC post at Fort Assinaboine. There was an Indigenous set up trading site where the Slave river runs in as well I believe Red Bullets History of Alberta thread covers it.

So anyone peering over my fence or into my yard should be suspected of wanting to perform criminal activity or is actually in the process of doing so? Over the years I have watched several people keep fish in places there was no retention or very limited retention of certain species and sizes. Without being in their boat to clearly identify the size and species means I am in no position to assess if their catch is legal or not and in all honesty it's none of my business. If they want to chance getting caught and fined or losing their equipment in a court ruled forfeiture over a fish then let them. Again it's none of my business and I am not one of those fisherman that feels the need to watch what every other angler near me is doing.

CardiacCowboy
06-12-2021, 10:04 AM
So anyone peering over my fence or into my yard should be suspected of wanting to perform criminal activity or is actually in the process of doing so? Over the years I have watched several people keep fish in places there was no retention or very limited retention of certain species and sizes. Without being in their boat to clearly identify the size and species means I am in no position to assess if their catch is legal or not and in all honesty it's none of my business. If they want to chance getting caught and fined or losing their equipment in a court ruled forfeiture over a fish then let them. Again it's none of my business and I am not one of those fisherman that feels the need to watch what every other angler near me is doing.

It might not be "none of your business" but it is mine and all other angles who consider themselves stuarts of this resource and follow the rules. Those fish belong to all Albertan and therefore they are stealing from me and is My Business.

I know too many anglers with this attitude. It is only bad/wrong if you get caught. Often these are the same people the complain the loudest about not being to keep more/any fish. They don't have any awareness that by not following the rules they are the ones causing limits to be what they are. I will report any one I have reasonable suspicion of poaching. I don't need evidence of proof that is for CO to determine. If all is legal then no harm done. Any fine or enforcement they receive will not return the fish they have stolen (not just when caught) over the years, just hopefully discourage further theft.

Drinking and driving is not ok if you are willing to accept the consequences of getting caught and neither is poaching.

I think your true colours are showing. People who follow the rules are not ok with others that don't.

Smoky buck
06-12-2021, 10:20 AM

I understand minding your business if you are unsure of what you are seeing. As for the non of your business comment I don’t agree. Those who poach do more then risk getting fined they are taking opportunity present or future from legal anglers.

As for peering over my fence you bet I will be coming up and asking you what you are looking for. If you have a poor answer you will also be told to get lost. If it’s looking for help or a lost pet I will see how I can help. I would not silently do nothing though

When it comes to stories like the OP my opinion is if you don’t speak up directly to the person or call it in you are enabling poaching which is a big part of the problem. Complaining on an Internet forum solves nothing

does it ALL outdoors
06-12-2021, 11:05 PM
Unfortunately, since the Rona, poaching seems prevalent than ever, did you do anything about it, or just talk about on here?

Did you read what he posted? It's all in there.

Nothing makes my blood boil more than someone keeping an undersized fish.

Was shore fishing at Wab a couple years ago under the train tressel, guy 20' from me catches a TINY little Perch, he gives it to his kid and he was just about to run off with it. I let him know under no circumstances is that ok and that fish NEEDS to go back in the water ASAP.

Pretty sure it was that same Asian guy that was keeping everything he caught at the bridge on the Rez at St. Anne during the fall bite last year, not just him but all of the 6 or 8 of them were keeping everything. Not a tag in sight. My buddy made an anonymous call to the RAP line. We stayed and fished there for another couple hours after making that call and nobody showed up. :confused: I was REALLY disappointed, they had a golden opportunity to nail a whole family of Poachers.

They must of walked a good 50 fish back to their car into a cooler they had in the trunk. :angry3: