PDA

View Full Version : Buying A Boat In Another Province

Poppa
06-11-2021, 01:28 PM
hey all - I posted before about buying used in the US. Similar question....wife and I are looking at a boat in Ontario (long trek, but a fully loaded 2018 Competitor 185 for 35k Canadian is such a good deal) and just wanted to see if anyone else has bought in another province and has any advice. It's a private sale from a guy who's upgraded to a newer model, so not through a dealer.

I know my insurance I'd have to look into before I go, and make sure I have the proper coverage for the return trip. But are there any taxes or fees that I would need to be aware of, when crossing the provincial borders?

Thanks in advance for any info!

EZM
06-11-2021, 01:35 PM
Your vehicle insurance should cover anything you tow ..... so that shouldn't be a concern.

As far as interprovincial boats, I may be wrong, but as long as the boat is registered the numbers on the boat track the "vessel" not the "owners location" - in other words my boat's number is AB 123456 (registered Alberta) but If I sell it to a guy in sask under that number, it shouldn't matter as that AB 123456 will be registered to the new sask owners address - kind of like a permanent license plate.

Maybe things have changed, but that's been my experience with out of province boats (but that was pre 2008)

Poppa
06-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Your vehicle insurance should cover anything you tow ..... so that shouldn't be a concern.

As far as interprovincial boats, I may be wrong, but as long as the boat is registered the numbers on the boat track the "vessel" not the "owners location" - in other words my boat's number is AB 123456 (registered Alberta) but If I sell it to a guy in sask under that number, it shouldn't matter as that AB 123456 will be registered to the new sask owners address - kind of like a permanent license plate.

Maybe things have changed, but that's been my experience with out of province boats (but that was pre 2008)

really appreciate it!!

dutchman
06-11-2021, 03:47 PM
Not much to worry about with provincial borders.
In regards to the boat license number, use TRANSPORT Canada website. https://www.pcl-pep.snbservices.ca/1001/PubWeb/Application.aspx?lang=en-CA

You can do that once you get home. It's free to do the transfer. I've heard some people pay for this but it must be through a different agency. I just did this and it was simple follow the instructions.

As far as the trailer goes, because it out of province, they might make you do an inspection before getting plates.

Worm
06-11-2021, 05:10 PM
Your vehicle insurance will cover the liability of the towed trailer but not the physical damage. If you buy the boat, best get coverage on it in case of damage on the trip back.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

Moosetalker
06-11-2021, 05:20 PM
As long as its a private deal you will avoid any HST/GST drama as well unlike if you were to buy from a dealership where they would have to tack it on then apply to get the PST recouped

S_Mooj
06-11-2021, 06:03 PM

pretty bang on there. i just did this earlier this year.

trailer transferred over just the same as any vehicle at the registry. boat went through transport canada. just switch the name attached to the numbers for 139 bucks. could also apply for new numbers if u wanted them to match your province. right now my boat is bcxxxxx , never inquired about how much it would be to get ab numbers but it really doesnt bother me.

pdog15
06-11-2021, 06:21 PM
Unless things have changed recently, the AB gov’t is going to charge you about $150 to register a single axle trailer and about $400 for a double axle trailer. AB won’t accept out of province serial numbers even if they are clearly readable on the trailer. Gov’t will send someone out to put on an AB vin number. Another money grab that does little for inter-provincial trade. The registration on the boat is good for any province.

S_Mooj
06-11-2021, 06:24 PM
Unless things have changed recently, the AB gov’t is going to charge you about $150 to register a single axle trailer and about $400 for a double axle trailer. AB won’t accept out of province serial numbers even if they are clearly readable on the trailer. Gov’t will send someone out to put on an AB vin number. Another money grab that does little for inter-provincial trade. The registration on the boat is good for any province.

cost me 150ish to register my double axle. didnt have to get the vin or anything changed.

fish99
06-12-2021, 09:15 AM
cost me 150ish to register my double axle. didnt have to get the vin or anything changed.

if the trailer was home made then the Alta gov would inspect it.

Poppa
06-12-2021, 09:18 AM
Just wanted to say thanks very much for all the info here, gang! Hoping to swing a deal to pick it up at the end of the month, if he can hang on that long. It's a hike out to NW Ontario (plus the border closure between MB/NOnt) so we'll see how it goes. I'll definitely check with my insurance provider and registries to make sure all my affairs are in order before I go, if it all works out.

Thanks again for all the info - really appreciate all you "veterans" :)

JareS
06-12-2021, 03:06 PM
Ontario is a Zebra/ Quagga Mussel hotspot.

Be sure to do a quick visual inspection for adult mussels before finalizing the sale.

Also be sure to stop at AIS watercraft inspections along the way. Don't circumvent them by passing through after hours.

Especially true for used boats, but brand new boats from the East have also been known to be infected, as they're tested out on the water before even hitting the sales lot.

TROLLER
06-12-2021, 05:32 PM
Make sure there are no liens and if there are have your bank talk to the sellers.

Peppysan
06-13-2021, 12:55 AM
I think you will find a "Boat" load of information in these previous posts.

Look at my posts in regard to PST (sales tax) for the province you purchase out of.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=391872

And on the registry question

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=4312129#post4312129

Good Luck