PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake rookies

StiksnStrings
06-12-2021, 05:24 PM
Last minute idea to fish Cold L. with the boys.:sHa_shakeshout: Staying at the PP for four days, fishing out of 14/16ft tinners so likely fishing in the bay by the park and Frenchman's. Walleye and pike are the target. Lakers would be a bonus but, I'm thinking we have missed the early shallow bite (yes/no?).
None of us have fished the lake before so any tips, tricks or suggestions on how to fish that area ( we aren't used to such drop offs and depths) would be really appreciated. Thanks all!

58thecat
06-13-2021, 09:15 AM
Check out the thread about the lake and use the search engine too on the forum....off the pp point you will find lakers 60 flow of water-ish.....they are active and easy prey too:sHa_shakeshout:
If you see a little 14’ crestlimer tinner out there with two fools on board swing by and say hi.....I can show you what has been hot lately for us etc.

Good luck!

Ohhh and I know there are lots of boats out there but only one with a fella in a goofy green hat in the back....:)

StiksnStrings
06-13-2021, 12:14 PM
Check out the thread about the lake and use the search engine too on the forum....off the pp point you will find lakers 60 flow of water-ish.....they are active and easy prey too:sHa_shakeshout:
If you see a little 14’ crestlimer tinner out there with two fools on board swing by and say hi.....I can show you what has been hot lately for us etc.

Good luck!

Ohhh and I know there are lots of boats out there but only one with a fella in a goofy green hat in the back....:)

Haha, thanks Cat we'll be in a 14' Crestliner ourselves.

58thecat
06-13-2021, 03:32 PM
Well today was a lot slower than yesterday did manage to catch but man where they not interested in actually biting….just follow then bugger off..so spent a lot of time marking structure, humps etc for future spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weavster
06-13-2021, 09:57 PM
Last minute idea to fish Cold L. with the boys.:sHa_shakeshout: Staying at the PP for four days, fishing out of 14/16ft tinners so likely fishing in the bay by the park and Frenchman's. Walleye and pike are the target. Lakers would be a bonus but, I'm thinking we have missed the early shallow bite (yes/no?).
None of us have fished the lake before so any tips, tricks or suggestions on how to fish that area ( we aren't used to such drop offs and depths) would be really appreciated. Thanks all!

Pike & Walleye will still be in the back bays where the water is warm but starting to move out as time progresses here.

As for lake trout we were still catching them fairly shallow last week 30-50ft. For lake trout electronics are your best friend and even if you don't have riggers or dipsy's you can have very successful days jigging them! Utilize your electronics to find drops/ledges and when you mark fish drop a tube or swimbait down to them and if they are hungry they will chase it down and smoke it. I'm just finishing up editing a video where we were jigging for them this past week that I will be posting here in the next couple days.

EZM
06-13-2021, 10:04 PM
Pike & Walleye will still be in the back bays where the water is warm but starting to move out as time progresses here.

As for lake trout we were still catching them fairly shallow last week 30-50ft. For lake trout electronics are your best friend and even if you don't have riggers or dipsy's you can have very successful days jigging them! Utilize your electronics to find drops/ledges and when you mark fish drop a tube or swimbait down to them and if they are hungry they will chase it down and smoke it. I'm just finishing up editing a video where we were jigging for them this past week that I will be posting here in the next couple days.

My thoughts exactly, run a dipsy and a spoon 48" back with some wobble and slow troll until you spot some on bottom .... then jig away with a heavy jog 1.5oz-2oz on a white tube and you are in business - even a buzz bomb.

Weavster
06-14-2021, 04:14 AM
My thoughts exactly, run a dipsy and a spoon 48" back with some wobble and slow troll until you spot some on bottom .... then jig away with a heavy jog 1.5oz-2oz on a white tube and you are in business - even a buzz bomb.

Bang on EZM! Depends on the day sometimes I don't even set up to troll and locate anymore just drive around until you find them and sharp shoot individual marks utilizing the electronics.

58thecat
06-14-2021, 06:47 AM
Electronics sure make life easier but once your on them ensure you have a variety of presentations from trolling to jigging.
You never know what will entice the bite.....getting them to chase is fun to watch but no meat on the deck if that’s all they do....
Just a small change can make a huge difference.....good luck.:)

StiksnStrings
06-14-2021, 07:06 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions here and via PM, keep em coming. We do have good electronics, my buddy just picked up a new Lowrance. Also have a Pinky Lady and Dipsey Diver to work with. I'm heading over to the FH later today for some spoons I read about on 58theCat's Cold L thread and some jigs that have been suggested as well. Sounds like it might get busy at the lake with the derby next weekend but, I always enjoy seeing what comes to the scales and taking to others about their success.

wildalberta
06-14-2021, 09:15 AM
they should be decently shallow and active still. last year mid june they were stacked up 35-50 feet deep. trolling anything shiney were steady hits.

EZM
06-15-2021, 04:39 PM
Electronics sure make life easier but once your on them ensure you have a variety of presentations from trolling to jigging.
You never know what will entice the bite.....getting them to chase is fun to watch but no meat on the deck if that’s all they do....
Just a small change can make a huge difference.....good luck.:)

YUP ......... and thats when the tube jig comes off and the buzz bomb goes on .... When it works .... it's amazing how quickly and aggressively you can trigger neutral fish who chase and stop or won't commit with a tube.

I'm guessing it's the vibration and hard falling (spinning action) that triggers hard strikes.

There were a few times that lure switch was the only thing that was putting fish on the deck ......as the other guys stood there with their snots whistling and just blinking at me until they decided to switch it up themselves.

58thecat
06-16-2021, 07:48 AM
YUP ......... and thats when the tube jig comes off and the buzz bomb goes on .... When it works .... it's amazing how quickly and aggressively you can trigger neutral fish who chase and stop or won't commit with a tube.

I'm guessing it's the vibration and hard falling (spinning action) that triggers hard strikes.

There were a few times that lure switch was the only thing that was putting fish on the deck ......as the other guys stood there with their snots whistling and just blinking at me until they decided to switch it up themselves.

And then there’s my fishing partner who bit a turkey pepperoni in half and put the bigger piece on a hook....dropped it down on a jig head 60 feet and all hell broke loose... multiple times...go figure eh:)

That’s fishing turning to catching:sHa_shakeshout:

StiksnStrings
06-20-2021, 10:24 PM
Had a great time fishing. We ended up focusing on lakers and they didn't disappoint. Thank you everyone for the tips and tricks.

Weavster
06-22-2021, 06:56 PM
Had a great time fishing. We ended up focusing on lakers and they didn't disappoint. Thank you everyone for the tips and tricks.

Awesome Good to hear dude!! Those lakers become an addiction after awhile!