PDA

View Full Version : Walleye draw

roosterman
06-16-2021, 10:02 AM
OK. I promised I would wait a month to come down off the ceiling but I can't. Could someone tell me which biology honors students set the tag quotas and what methodolgy they are using to set them. Pigeon's total tags for the last three years, not including undersubscibed are: 2019 - 7823; 2020 - 8134; 2021 - 1428. If the fall test netting program shows a decline that precipitous, maybe they should collect more data to confirm before they assume armageddon and knee-jerk the quotas. I live on the lake and we are still enjoying 50 - 100 fish afternoons. Soon the Pigeon walleye will all be 40cm and have the girth of a cigar.

Please don't tell me to go to Lac Ste. Anne or Costco.

P.S. - Let's try a slot limit for a few years like successful fisheries management jurisdictions do instead of grabbing cash in a lottery system.

HuyFishin
06-16-2021, 10:08 AM
we are all with ya!

fishtank
06-16-2021, 10:22 AM
Maybe they should use a survey system from real fisherman rather Just A spin the wheel number .. that’s a huge change of 80%+
Years before we always get draw for either class a or b for pigeon , not this year .

fishtank
06-16-2021, 10:23 AM
Maybe they should use a survey system from real fisherman rather Just A spin the wheel number .. that’s a huge change of 80%+
Years before we always get draw for either class a or b for pigeon , not this year .

Smoky buck
06-16-2021, 10:37 AM
Won’t buy tags because I don’t agree with the system and honestly I don’t keep enough fish in a year to justify it either.

Now as someone who is way more interested in pike as both C&R and eating the odd one I am not impressed with the impact Alberta’s walleye management has had on the pike fisheries in many lakes

C&R baby wet sock walleye fishing or tags is a waste and I have no interest in it. If the tag system was done on a handful of lakes to create some quality fisheries I would be in full support but that is not the case

lromanchuk
06-16-2021, 01:28 PM
The whole tag system is a joke.

trigger7mm
06-16-2021, 03:49 PM
There didn’t seem to be much of a shortage of walleyes at Pigeon when I was there on Monday. We caught a pile of them.

cube
06-21-2021, 02:29 PM
OK. I promised I would wait a month to come down off the ceiling but I can't. Could someone tell me which biology honors students set the tag quotas and what methodolgy they are using to set them. Pigeon's total tags for the last three years, not including undersubscibed are: 2019 - 7823; 2020 - 8134; 2021 - 1428. If the fall test netting program shows a decline that precipitous, maybe they should collect more data to confirm before they assume armageddon and knee-jerk the quotas. I live on the lake and we are still enjoying 50 - 100 fish afternoons. Soon the Pigeon walleye will all be 40cm and have the girth of a cigar.

Please don't tell me to go to Lac Ste. Anne or Costco.

P.S. - Let's try a slot limit for a few years like successful fisheries management jurisdictions do instead of grabbing cash in a lottery system.

Not disagreeing with you here.
You can look up the "biology honors student" who set the limit on line if you want to https://www.alberta.ca/assets/documents/ep-esrd-contacts-fish-wildlife-mgmt-map.pdf

According to the last 2 FIN (Fall index netting) studies Pigeon went from 50 walleye per net down to 28 Hence the knee jerk reaction. Even after Dr. Sullivan said during the online presentations that they would not be doing this kind of knee jerk reaction on one off data.

If you look at the data yourself you can clearly see that they have a major over supply of large cohort fish that is stunting and not allowing for any recruitment of young