PDA

View Full Version : Why does this keep happening with my Line?

Hamsnacks
06-17-2021, 10:27 PM
Long story short, mother in law purchased me a new rod and reel, haven't been able to catch anything since, so I'm thinking I'm better off just tossing it all lol.

But on a serious note, I throw the line a few times, check back and I start seeing like a new line coming out of the reel. Got frustrated so I pulled a few meters worth of line and cut it off and started over, then it happened shorty after. Could I just need to cut some more line or could there have been a mistake when the initial spool occured?
Have had it for 2 years, first time this is happening.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/S7Z4MHA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kXPrSXf.jpg

Penner
06-17-2021, 10:49 PM
Looks like bad line twist. It’s likely the lure and how you are rigging the lure. Could be the roller bearing but doubtful. What lure and how were you using it?

Hamsnacks
06-17-2021, 10:54 PM
Looks like bad line twist. It’s likely the lure and how you are rigging the lure. Could be the roller bearing but doubtful. What lure and how were you using it?

Never thought about that actually! I was using just a standard trout spinning lure but did have a float ball attached to it, so when throwing the line they do seem to twirl in the air before hitting the water.
If that makes sense

Thanks

Red Bullets
06-17-2021, 11:44 PM
I think your spinning lure didn't have a good inline swivel in front of it. When the spinner spins it is spinning the line causing the twists. Try using a small snap swivel or a leader with your spinning lures. Don't tie your spinners directly to your line.

Important to keep tension on the line too because any loose coils that are on the spool will cause much grief on the next cast.

You could try ...
Tie your line to something and start walking letting the line out and then reel the line back in with tension to keep it tight. Important first is not to open the bail to let the twisted line out. Keep the bail closed and lighten the drag and pull the line off of the spool that way. It will prevent further twists being picked up by the loose coils.

Or go to a fishing store with the reel spool and have them re string the spool with new line. Match the line to the lures you are using. A little mepps spinner is too light for 10 lb. line. 6 to 8 lb. line is good for most fishing in Alberta. 10 or 15 lb. line for pike fishing.

Good luck fishing. Don't give up.

Hamsnacks
06-18-2021, 12:30 AM
I think your spinning lure didn't have a good inline swivel in front of it. When the spinner spins it is spinning the line causing the twists. Try using a small snap swivel or a leader with your spinning lures. Don't tie your spinners directly to your line.

Important to keep tension on the line too because any loose coils that are on the spool will cause much grief on the next cast.

You could try ...
Tie your line to something and start walking letting the line out and then reel the line back in with tension to keep it tight. Important first is not to open the bail to let the twisted line out. Keep the bail closed and lighten the drag and pull the line off of the spool that way. It will prevent further twists being picked up by the loose coils.

Or go to a fishing store with the reel spool and have them re string the spool with new line. Match the line to the lures you are using. A little mepps spinner is too light for 10 lb. line. 6 to 8 lb. line is good for most fishing in Alberta. 10 or 15 lb. line for pike fishing.

Good luck fishing. Don't give up.

Greatly appreciated man! First time using a spinning lure and didn't use an inline swivel at all! I'm going to try what you recommended and see if there is a change, if not I'll go purchase a new line and have them restring the spool. In the past was fishing for pike in Lac La Biche so I got away with my lack of knowledge, this helps a lot!
Thank you very much.

Freedom55
06-18-2021, 05:06 AM
You installed the new line in reverse. Now you have to take it all off. Dispose of it at your local tackle shop (the Fishin'Hole has a bin) and start again. You must spin the line on to your reel in the same direction that it went on the spool from the factory.

Here's how: attach the line to your arbor. Close the bail. Put the spool on the floor and see the directionality. If it is coming off the spool in the wrong direction turn it over and start reeling a few turns. Keep the line taut by running between two fingers. Stop reeling and drop your rod tip. If the line is going on wrong it will twist immediately. Turn the spool on the floor over and continue. Fill to 4mm of full. Level wind reels require that you have the spool on an axle and turning like a wheel.

This procedure will stop the problem but sadly it cost you a spool of line to find out.

Free

Justfishin73
06-18-2021, 05:31 AM
Braided line is your friend

58thecat
06-18-2021, 06:23 AM
Real easy if your on the water put it on a spoon with a functioning swivel that will allow the line to untwist or not twist while feeling in.....drop the spoon to the bottom and troll out until all line is out under drag.....reel it all back in under pressure.....you can do the same on land too but I agree to replace that mono with braid.....good luck eh!

calgarygringo
06-18-2021, 07:27 AM
Looks like mono maybe and it needs to be replaced more often than something like braid as it is more prone to line memory and will deteriorate quicker as well. I know a few guys that guide and like their mono and buy the huge spools as they are constantly changing them out.

As mentioned spool the right direction, line tension, don't over fill the spool, line twisting can all be factors. Good braid will have less memory too but will be more expensive but you may want to go that route. It has it's own pluses and minuses though many of us use mostly braid.

YouTube has several good videos out there and worth checking out so you get it done right and enjoy your fishing time asnd catch more fish.

Smoky buck
06-18-2021, 07:40 AM
Snap swivels are your friend when fishing spinners. Mono also develops memory when sitting on the real spool and not put under tension. When casting light lures on mono that has developed memory will cause the issue in your pic as well. My personal opinion is mono should be replaced at the min once a year as well

Personally I proffer braid and will add a mono leader if I need something with stretch

Not line related but get rid of the float well spin casting lures. You will catch more fish without the float creating a wake. The only time I have used a float was swinging Colorado’s tip roe in salmon rivers and there is more to this rig then I am posting too

TrollGRG
06-18-2021, 08:51 AM
If you decide to replace the line then take the time to chat with the people at the fishing store where you buy the line. If you are friendly and they are friendly then they should spool it for you.

Fishwhere
06-18-2021, 09:25 AM
Couple things did it like others said;
- spinner hook, without a decent swivel
- the mono style of line in general
- And if right after you cast you have a bunch of loose line when you start reeling and manage it in a way that it goes back on nicely with a little tension.

Best and easiest thing is take it to fishin hole and have them put on some braid line. Start with a fireline smoke. If you are going to fish for everything with it from trout to pike then put 10 pound. If only trout then 6-8 pound. If only/mostly pike then 10-15 pound. And youll need to tie a palomer knot. Itll cost you around $20 roughly.

It will still be a good idea to have a decent swivel above your spinner a foot or so up, or a swivel/snap combo(not as nice, but convenient).

Good luck!

TROLLER
06-18-2021, 09:53 AM
Another trick I found out is if you replace the mono drop the spool of new line in a pail of water for up to an hour before spooling onto your reel. Makes no sense but it does pretty much take almost 100% of the coils out of the line.

I have been doing it for yrs without any issuses of line twist

Hamsnacks
06-18-2021, 12:34 PM
Appreciate all the responses and information guys, really helps with figuring everything out.
Was actually purchased and spooled at Cabela's, so maybe I'll try some braided line and have it all done at The Fishing Hole this time around

Thanks again for all the help!

Frank_NK28
06-18-2021, 01:11 PM
If you are in a boat cut off the lure, swivel etc and let all the line out right to the end of the spool while running at a high trolling speed. That will untwist the line. Then as you are trolling reel it all back in and the twist should be gone. Make sure the drag is tight enough that the pull from the line doesn't engage the drag or you'll just twist the line as you try to reel it in. Crank the drag down fully and just reel all the line in. You'll be amazed how heavy a few hundred feet of line with nothing on it will feel. You'll think you're dragging a 20lb fish around but it works!

Jims83cj5
06-18-2021, 01:40 PM
This guy^^^^^^^^^

oilngas
06-18-2021, 02:04 PM
well here's a different opinion; Cabelas is in the business of making $ from you, they put on likely the cheapest bulk line they could to get you out the door and the sale completed.

As others have said spinning line varies greatly, all dependent upon application, reel, rod etc. For example I have gone thru lots of line Brands, types etc. and am back to 2 and 4 # Trilene XL for small jigs and slipping, but that's specific to what I use it for.

So buy a premium line for the intended purpose and spool it correctly (lots of you tubes for that).

Kings
06-18-2021, 04:10 PM
braided line is your friend:

X2

Zeb
06-20-2021, 11:26 PM
Ok, no one has said this yet and I just saw your post.

I consider myself as a professional spin caster fisherman. I am only saying that to get your attention and point out two things.

One, the reason you have that happening is you have it over spooled. You have way to much line on your real. Dial it back/strip to 3/4 of the spoon that is way to much on there.

Second, take all of that line off unless you are fishing for 20-30 pike and if you are you need a bigger real! That line is wayyyy to heavy for that real.

Yes you could use that for pike but why? you can catch 20 pound pike with a steel letre on 10 pound line.

Take my advise and tell me if I am wrong,

Take that line off and buy the best fluorocarbon of your choice, Seaguar, whatever in 6 pound-8 pound and only spoon it 3/4 on the reel.

Report back to us/me...your whole experience is about to change.

Frank_NK28
06-21-2021, 08:21 AM
That reel is not overspooled. A reel should be spooled to within a 1/8" of the lip which that one clearly is in the picture. A spool loaded to less than the proper capacity loses casting distance due to friction of the line coming off the spool.
Here is another trick that helps to reduce line twist with new lines by getting rid of the line memory from the factory spool.

https://youtu.be/n_EVS7HJ-6E

opto55
06-21-2021, 10:06 AM
I agree with oilngas. Keep it simple

Bushleague
06-22-2021, 01:46 AM
You installed the new line in reverse. Now you have to take it all off. Dispose of it at your local tackle shop (the Fishin'Hole has a bin) and start again. You must spin the line on to your reel in the same direction that it went on the spool from the factory.

Here's how: attach the line to your arbor. Close the bail. Put the spool on the floor and see the directionality. If it is coming off the spool in the wrong direction turn it over and start reeling a few turns. Keep the line taut by running between two fingers. Stop reeling and drop your rod tip. If the line is going on wrong it will twist immediately. Turn the spool on the floor over and continue. Fill to 4mm of full. Level wind reels require that you have the spool on an axle and turning like a wheel.

This procedure will stop the problem but sadly it cost you a spool of line to find out.

Free

Not necessary at all. Take your rod to a grassy field or beach, make sure you have nothing tied to the end of the line at all (not even a swivel). Pull off 100 yards of line so it is lying straight out, tighten down your drag reel it back in while pinching the line between your thumb and forefinger of your non-reeling hand. If its really bad do it a couple times, problem solved.

Alternately you can let out line and pull it behind a boat and it will un-twist. Once again, even leaving a leader tied to the end of the line can lead to poor results in my experience.

Bushleague
06-22-2021, 01:49 AM
This guy^^^^^^^^^

Whoops, missed that post, Frank covered it nicely.

58thecat
06-22-2021, 05:44 AM
That reel is not overspooled. A reel should be spooled to within a 1/8" of the lip which that one clearly is in the picture. A spool loaded to less than the proper capacity loses casting distance due to friction of the line coming off the spool.
Here is another trick that helps to reduce line twist with new lines by getting rid of the line memory from the factory spool.

https://youtu.be/n_EVS7HJ-6E

Ot over-spooled from the pic....just got a twist to take care of is all....unless there is a poop load on the ground in the form of a bird nest.....cut and use what’s salvageable on the reel or respool with braid:)

EZM
06-22-2021, 10:38 AM
Line is not overspooled - in fact it should be within 1/8" of the lip - this is well under.

The line is twisted - likely a result of improperly orienting the spool of line that it was filled from and not having enough tension on the reel when it was would up.

Good news it is spooled in the right direction it appears (line coming from bottom of spool to line guide).

Solution is as what others mentioned - add a swivel and a spoon and let out almost all of your line and make sure it gets rewound tightly this will reduce your issue and correct most of the problems.

Better solution is to ditch the mono and put on braid. I see no point in having a full spool of mono for anything anymore. It's like insisting you ride a horse to work in the city .... old technology - you can always leader or topshot your lines with mono/fluoro.

I run fluoro leaders and have a couple rods set up with braid with a 20m-30m of topshot mono where I need the stretch.

colvert
06-22-2021, 11:13 AM
No matter what, spinning reels will twist your line even if your lure doesn't because of the spooling perpendicular to the line in the rod.