PDA

View Full Version : Newbie fly fishing

kinwahkly
08-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Hey guys, fist time fly fisherman got a new rod and a whack of flies, want to go fish the bow by the wier in Calgary, any idea what I should start off to use? any help would be appreciated.

AL

slingshotz
08-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Stay away from the weir, not only is the construction dangerous, you can't fish within 150 yards of any wier or fish ladder. Good starting place might be under the glenmore tr bridge or the southland dog park.

Good basic setup to start with is the hopper dropper, get a big size 6 or 8 stimulator or hopper type pattern, then tie a tippet from that about 1-2 feet down with a small copper john or prince nymph. The hopper acts as an edible indicator. Drift it through the slack waters, anywhere the fast water meets slow water.

kinwahkly
08-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks!!!

tonyflyfish
08-26-2009, 09:55 PM
and always follow slingz ideas as he is a first class fisher and a first class guy.

Kingfisher
08-27-2009, 03:14 AM
A friend of mine, Rick Passek has written a couple of books that are really great for beginner fly fishers. They are called The Freshman Flyfisher and the other is the Insect Guide. I gave a way the coppies I had, but you can find them at Fishtales Fly Shop and probably at the others in town as well. But I do know I saw them on the counter a few weeks ago when I was last in Fishtales.

I'd recommend getting these 2 books. They'll help you learn a few things and help with getting you into some fish. Besides the guys at Fishtales will be more than willing to help you out with some free advice. If you only get to one fly shop before you head out on the river then make sure it's Fishtales. A great bunch of guys there that are always willing to take some time and give you some great advice.

Slingshot has some good advice for you. So listen to what he says.

Rob

Scott N
08-27-2009, 05:17 AM
A San Juan Worm bounced on the bottom is another good fly to ues on the Bow. Once you get the hang of casting it and learning to mend your line, add a dropper fly of some sort to the San Juan.