PDA

View Full Version : Need some tips on casting a streamer!

4D7
08-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Just got into fly fishing, I can cast pretty well with a fly but man is it different with a streamer. That extra weight affects the cast. Any tips on how to control the extra weight.

I wanted to learn so i could do some pike fishing! Tried it today but couldnt get it more than 10 ft if that!

Scott N
08-26-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure how big of a fly you're chuck'n, but a shorter leader tends to help.

4D7
08-26-2009, 09:45 PM
With the tail its 4-6 inches. Its a top water fly that the fishin hole guy recommended. I'll keep the shorter leader tip in mind =)

tonyflyfish
08-26-2009, 09:49 PM
the leader is 4-6 inches or the fly is 4-6 inches?
try about 5 or 6 ft of leader and then the fly.

hal53
08-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Think he's talking about a Wooly Bugger or equivalent...length of leader is not all that major but still important....just have to slow down a bit and not be so agressive...lots of false casts helps.. mostly use the same technique, but slower...also probably a 6 or 8 wt. rod is better for streamers...

flygirrl
08-27-2009, 06:42 AM
Just got into fly fishing, I can cast pretty well with a fly but man is it different with a streamer. That extra weight affects the cast. Any tips on how to control the extra weight.

I wanted to learn so i could do some pike fishing! Tried it today but couldnt get it more than 10 ft if that!

I have a bass bug taper and I use it for chucking big flies. It has a little more weight in the front end so I handles big flies. Advise is good thought to slow your cast down a little and let the weight of the line carry your fly. Might want to try casting the line accross the front of your body. Stand a little sideways and instead of casting inbehind your shoulder of the arm your casting with bring it accross the front of you behind the opposite shoulder.Hard to explain.:lol: This is a good cast also if you have bushes behind you. Sometimes though with huge flys its the chuck and duck.
:lol:
Oh and wear a hat and sungl*****:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jayball
08-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Using streamers for pike takes a bit of practise. A good 8wt rod is a must... which is what I use...

I had the same problem when i first started. Just slow down the cast and do about 3-5 false casts... let the weight of the streamer do the work. Also helps when I cast more off to the side and not over my shoulder... i also use my whole arm at times. With a heavier rod/line and streamer it helps to get my arm in the cast rather than the usual 10 o'clock - 2 o-clock action.

Good luck... nothing pike on the fly!

Jay

Jayball
08-27-2009, 10:47 AM
the leader is 4-6 inches or the fly is 4-6 inches?
try about 5 or 6 ft of leader and then the fly.

i havent experienced any advantges with shorter leaders. I use an 8ft leader and it works just fine. Its all in the practise.

4D7
08-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the tips on casting a streamer. I caught a very nice size pike today at mcgregor and man was it a hell of a fight. As stated to key to casting the streamer was to slow down and let the weight of the streamer do its thing.

winged1
08-30-2009, 10:28 PM
or you can move into a longer/stiffer rod and perfect your roll casts. I'm pretty impressed with the fellows that can roll cast with a spey rod clear across the Bulkley.