PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff Pond Fishing Tips

Hamsnacks
06-25-2021, 02:18 PM
Any tips or help on catching some trout out in Cardiff trout pond near Morinville.

Been using Black Fury Spinner Lures, sometimes with powerbait (yellow) other times nothing at all.
If you're familiar with the area, I usually go to the parking lot with the kayak shack and walk around those trails to fish.

Better lure/bait option?
Best time to go?
Do you let your lure float or do you simply throw, wait a bit and reel back?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

CMichaud
06-25-2021, 02:48 PM
Fishing is slow a the stocked ponds around the area so far this year. Not sure what gives

Normally, the best way to catch them is work under bobber.

Some guys have good luck with a pickerel rig as well. I never really use them though

Red Bullets
06-25-2021, 04:01 PM
For spinners small mepps in brown or natural colors. Yellow with red spots or silver blades work sometimes too.

Or:

Put on a float and then from the float put line the length of your rod and put on a royal coachman, doc spratley or 52 buick fly. Cast the float and before it hits the water stop the line and the fly should straighten out behind the float. Then reel in slowly and watch for the rise behind the float.

Otherwise, worms on a bottom rig. I think with the heat the fish will go deep. Later towards evening the fish are active. Mid day is ok when its cloudy and cool.

I like to walk pretty well straight north of the kayak shack to the first narrow running east and west. Fairly deep. Right by the "AB" on the depth map I attached.

https://mywildalberta.ca/fishing/fish-stocking/documents/CardiffPondBathymetricMap-Hydro.pdf

cranky
06-25-2021, 05:42 PM
Cardiff isn't fishing well lately. Most ponds aren't.

Had some luck over at Heritage Lake across from Morinville the other day. Nothing to lose trying there.