PDA

View Full Version : help for trout

rockymountaintrapper
06-28-2021, 02:54 PM
we have roughly 700 m of creek running through our property.over the weekend the wife and i decided to sit in one of the pools to cool off we built up the rock dam to make the water deeper and sat there for hours eventually we discovered that there were at least6 different trout in variable lengths 4 to 10 inches im pretty sure that they are athabasca rainbows not sure how they got there other than they must be spawning in there i want to make sure that they have access to it and we didnt block it for future spawners anybody know anything about fish ladders or something else that can be done to help them to get to the pool without taking down the dam?

Smoky buck
06-28-2021, 04:55 PM
we have roughly 700 m of creek running through our property.over the weekend the wife and i decided to sit in one of the pools to cool off we built up the rock dam to make the water deeper and sat there for hours eventually we discovered that there were at least6 different trout in variable lengths 4 to 10 inches im pretty sure that they are athabasca rainbows not sure how they got there other than they must be spawning in there i want to make sure that they have access to it and we didnt block it for future spawners anybody know anything about fish ladders or something else that can be done to help them to get to the pool without taking down the dam?

Your dam is illegal for the reasons you are concerned about regarding the trout you are seeing. All kinds of laws regarding fish bearing waters

Don’t shoot the messenger just letting you know

flyrodfisher
06-28-2021, 06:00 PM
Your dam is illegal for the reasons you are concerned about regarding the trout you are seeing. All kinds of laws regarding fish bearing waters

Don’t shoot the messenger just letting you know

X2

Bushrat
06-28-2021, 08:34 PM
Those trout showing up in your rock dam pool are fish most likely trying to get down the creek to deeper pools as the water drops and warms. This is why rock dams and any other man made obstruction is not allowed in flowing water that fish move up and down or make migratory runs. To do what your doing legally you would need approval from appropriate gov't agencies and they would never issue a permit for what your doing. Do what's right and remove your dam. The fines can be stiff.

Heron
06-29-2021, 08:35 PM
What a great opportunity to enhance the habitat. Obviously without blocking it.