PDA

View Full Version : Where to get biggest pike Central AB?

Puddinpants
06-29-2021, 05:49 PM
My friend and I just have a 12' John boat with a trolling motor but pike fishing is our favourite. Located in Red Deer and looking for the biggest pike we can get without (hopefully) having to drive super far. So far we have got around 28-32" as our personal bests.

We catch and release only

Can PM as well if you don't want your spot public. We fish as cleanly and ethically as possible.

Thank you very much in advance!

Curtsyneil
06-29-2021, 06:17 PM
I would say brazzue dam, sylvan, gull lake.

Who Da Fisherman
06-29-2021, 06:19 PM
There is a search bar, type in large pike and poof lots of threads.
For a first post without contributing good luck on getting much more info. As for PM's you gave me a chuckle with that one. :snapoutofit:
Cheers
WDF

Smoky buck
06-29-2021, 06:26 PM
I am going to be 100% honest with you there is big pike in all the larger lakes and rivers in central Alberta. In most cases you need to change tactics more then change your body of water

Most people get caught up catching numbers of small to mid size pike with smaller lures in shallower water and think the lake doesn’t hold bigger. This time of year the bigger pike are often deeper and often lay inactive between larger meals. Unless you get it right on their nose or offering a worthwhile meal at the right time they won’t even bother moving

Maybe start with Sylvan and see if you can find the big pike they are in there

Puddinpants
06-29-2021, 06:28 PM
There is a search bar, type in large pike and poof lots of threads.
For a first post without contributing good luck on getting much more info. As for PM's you gave me a chuckle with that one. :snapoutofit:
Cheers
WDF

I spent an hour with the search bar, lots of posts on places quite far away so was just looking for filler info closer to home.

Also had an account 4-5 years ago with tons of posts but I cant remember the login or email for it.

Thanks for the input though! Very helpful.

Puddinpants
06-29-2021, 06:30 PM
I am going to be 100% honest with you there is big pike in all the larger lakes and rivers in central Alberta. In most cases you need to change tactics more then change your body of water

Most people get caught up catching numbers of small to mid size pike with smaller lures in shallower water and think the lake doesn’t hold bigger. This time of year the bigger pike are often deeper and often lay inactive between larger meals. Unless you get it right on their nose or offering a worthwhile meal at the right time they won’t even bother moving

Maybe start with Sylvan and see if you can find the big pike they are in there

Kept seeing negitive posts on Sylvan but maybe this was more towards other species for catch and keep. Thanks. Ill take a deeper look into sylvan for pike as it has been mentioned twice now.

Dewey Cox
06-29-2021, 06:36 PM
Bower ponds

stob
06-29-2021, 06:52 PM
There are bigger pike than will ever be caught in our resevoirs. Talked to a lot of recreational and commercial divers over the years and the pike are bigger than people realise. One recreational driver I knew never dove travers again after his experience with a pike that he estimated at 60lbs plus...this guy is also a fisherman and has caught a few pike in the 30lb range. My guess for biggest pike in the future is wabamun...a ton of 30-40cm walleye for those old dawgs to feed on...anyone else have diving exposure to big pike.

Smoky buck
06-29-2021, 06:54 PM
Kept seeing negitive posts on Sylvan but maybe this was more towards other species for catch and keep. Thanks. Ill take a deeper look into sylvan for pike as it has been mentioned twice now.

It’s no better or worse then most of central Alberta lakes. No matter where you choose to go you will have to put in your dues to find the big pike

The average size pike in central Alberta will be under 30 inches no matter where you go

mlee
06-29-2021, 07:45 PM
I don't fish central alberta but if I did I'd be focusing on reservoirs. And like mentioned ...go deep. Sure you catch the odd big pike in less than 10fow in the summer but I'd say 75% of the 40"+ pike I catch from say mid June until fall are in 20+ feet of water adjacent to some structure of some type. Could be the outside of a deep weed bed....a mid lake hump.... a rock pile....but something.
It may sound funny but I've caught a lot of big summer pike just hanging a dead bait under a bobber as well....and always seem to catch at least one or 2 a year jigging for walleye in 20-30 feet as well.

CaveClown
06-29-2021, 09:20 PM
Just go to any lake with pike, get the biggest hook(s) you can, or giant bait, or both, mix n match, try whatever they key is big, and like others have said, if you think its to big, its probably just the right size, or at least getting close to the right size. Get a strong rod, a decent reel, 60 pound braid (I like 80), and be prepared to catch a lot of small ones, but then one day, one magical day you will catch your beast.

I find you gotta learn the lake your fishing, learn the habits of the fish and just keep plugging away, get skunked time and time again, as your fishing for beasts not minnows. And you never know when it will happen, I find it best to not expect anything, anytime I get hyped up and start to expect something... it never happens, it always seems to be the times I am just having fun and not thinking of it when bam I latch on to a monster... Last one I had busted my hook, first time I have had a hook break, bend sure but this just mangled it and snapped it... was a blast!

OL_JR
06-30-2021, 12:41 AM
For central Alberta Sylvan will be your best bet hands down. You aren't going to have any action packed days but if your goal is a fish in the 40+ class with the least amount of travel that is where you should be investing your time.

stein
06-30-2021, 01:10 PM
twin lake out by winfield, really deep, stories from divers out there encountering pike big enough to have stories about

MyAlberta
06-30-2021, 02:18 PM
if you cant find big fish, you an make a small fish bigger by downsizing your gear.
The largest jacks I've caught on casting gear all felt like I was dragging a hay bale. The smaller jacks I've caught on a fly rod felt like monsters. For me its the journey, not the destination. Personally, I dont think the biggest pike lives in central Alberta, but I hope you prove me wrong.

CardiacCowboy
06-30-2021, 03:37 PM
The key to catching big fish of any species is to hunt big fish. I know this sounds stupid but it is the truth. You can randomly catch big fish just "fishing" but if you target big fish you need to switch tactics.

1) Use large bait, lures
2) Fish were you usually don't catch alot of fish. Large fish will chase away smaller fish from where they want to feed. Also large fish may not be feeding on what the smaller ones do
3) If you are not catching what you are looking for or catching smaller ones change spot, technique, depth, or lure.

If you are willing to catch less fish in total almost all water bodies will have some fish that are very good at what they do and are larger and older than the rest.

SouthWestRanger
06-30-2021, 03:50 PM
The key to catching big fish of any species is to hunt big fish. I know this sounds stupid but it is the truth. You can randomly catch big fish just "fishing" but if you target big fish you need to switch tactics.

1) Use large bait, lures
2) Fish were you usually don't catch alot of fish. Large fish will chase away smaller fish from where they want to feed. Also large fish may not be feeding on what the smaller ones do
3) If you are not catching what you are looking for or catching smaller ones change spot, technique, depth, or lure.

If you are willing to catch less fish in total almost all water bodies will have some fish that are very good at what they do and are larger and older than the rest.

This is excellent advice for all species, I’ll add one other thing… Be different, a lot of guys target fish the same way year after year, here on the lake my cabin is on in central BC guys troll for trout using the same 3 lures in the same speed range. When I moved here in the spring I started experimenting and changing things up and now I find I catch more and larger fish consistently than the guys who have been fishing here for years because I was willing to try new things outside the norm.

stob
06-30-2021, 04:03 PM
This is excellent advice for all species, I’ll add one other thing… Be different, a lot of guys target fish the same way year after year, here on the lake my cabin is on in central BC guys troll for trout using the same 3 lures in the same speed range. When I moved here in the spring I started experimenting and changing things up and now I find I catch more and larger fish consistently than the guys who have been fishing here for years because I was willing to try new things outside the norm.

Shhhhh!!!!!

Bushrat
06-30-2021, 05:54 PM

Yep, buddy and I were fishing a well known lake in BC, everybody was dragging flies, small flatfish, other little lures, wedding bands and worms etc. Buddy tied on the biggest 5 O' diamonds I ever saw and hammered a 12lb rainbow.

SouthWestRanger
06-30-2021, 06:24 PM
Yep, buddy and I were fishing a well known lake in BC, everybody was dragging flies, small flatfish, other little lures, wedding bands and worms etc. Buddy tied on the biggest 5 O' diamonds I ever saw and hammered a 12lb rainbow.

Big baits catch big fish!

Smoky buck
06-30-2021, 06:28 PM

It definitely pays to be different when it comes to fishing especially in high pressure C&R waters hmm that would mean 99% of Alberta’s lakes and rivers ;)

Majority of the fisherman use the same go to lures/techniques that others in the area use or what the local tackle shops recommend. The fish that have been around for awhile start to get wise

Red Bullets
06-30-2021, 10:25 PM
The OP should look no further than under his nose. I've seen and caught 20lb+ pike the the Red Deer river.

Tungsten,
06-30-2021, 10:39 PM
Back in the day I would kick around in my belly boat just out of casting range from the shore guys on lake //--==.Small marabou leech on a steel leader with a sink tip.The shore guys with their bate would get ****ed.What are you using they would yell,Id just wave and land fish after fish.Sometimes it not the fly/lure its where it is and what you do with it.

OL_JR
07-01-2021, 10:20 PM
I gotta say I agree with some of the sentiments that using bigger presentations, looking for the right structure can produce bigger fish but in the end when looking for something special no matter what the species it's a lot like hunting, you gotta be where the game is, not where you think it should be.

Some lakes will just plain produce better than others no matter how much you hope and dream and throw big stuff and livescope and map and etc...etc...

buckman
07-02-2021, 06:07 AM
Big baits catch big fish!

My son caught a 30lb plus pike on a jig and minnow!!

Smoky buck
07-02-2021, 06:17 AM
I gotta say I agree with some of the sentiments that using bigger presentations, looking for the right structure can produce bigger fish but in the end when looking for something special no matter what the species it's a lot like hunting, you gotta be where the game is, not where you think it should be.

Some lakes will just plain produce better than others no matter how much you hope and dream and throw big stuff and livescope and map and etc...etc...

Of course you increase your odds fishing areas with a higher population of large fish.

There is many smaller waters in Alberta that you are going to have a tough go finding a big pike. In central Alberta there is no real stand out location for big pike though. Most of the large lakes are fairly equal with a possibility of a large pike. Many will say Wab but in all honesty the average size pike I catch in wab is nothing special and actually a little smaller then other locations

It has been a long time since I have fished southern Alberta but I caught larger pike with a better average in the southern reservoirs. If this heat backs off I plan to take a trip south with the kayak to fish pike in my old fav spot. But I don’t know what to expect with how many fisheries have changed

The reality is the pike fishing in central Alberta is just OK and not a prize location for giants so you are going to work for them. There is no where in central Alberta that stands out as an amazing pike fishery so you are instead putting in the effort and time to find the hidden gems in a lake

Your point on location playing a role with the odds of catching big pike is is true but when you have to give a recommendation for a region that doesn’t have a truly stand out pike fishery you can’t give a great recommendation

Remove the regional restriction and I would be heading south east or north east or northern Alberta

Alberta’s management has not promoted quality pike fishing either

Smoky buck
07-02-2021, 06:36 AM

Of course they will eat small baits especially if you drop it right on there nose but they will also decide to completely ignore small baits at times. If they have to expel too much effort vs intake they will ignore the small offering.

When it comes to pike what most think is a big lure is only mid size. When you are offering a 6-8 inch lure to a fish that will eat a 20inch fish is the lure really that big or is it snack size?

I will eat a sunflower seed but I won’t walk across the room to eat one. Now set a steak on the other side of the room I will go get it without hesitation

The other issue with small baits with big pike is increased mortality do to them inhaling the bait. With larger baits you are more likely to lip hook them instead

Just something to consider

Sundancefisher
07-02-2021, 07:24 AM
I spent an hour with the search bar, lots of posts on places quite far away so was just looking for filler info closer to home.

Also had an account 4-5 years ago with tons of posts but I cant remember the login or email for it.

Thanks for the input though! Very helpful.

Always good to not setup multiple accounts. Do a search on a topic that you posted lots on and go back 5 years. Should be able to find it. PM a Mod to see if they can help.

You can understand people’s suspicions when your first post is asking for someone’s big pike location.

It makes people think it’s either someone selfishly wanting to lazy piggy back on others efforts or knowing people may find this post rude think it’s a troll post.

Maybe post some pictures of yourself with pike. Make it a more honest a personal post?

58thecat
07-02-2021, 07:31 AM

Wife got one on a jig and sparkly tail...42” beast....came in like a log...thought she was snagged...

Also caught a beast reeling in a 12” walleye.....yup nothing like live bait:)

Ya just never know when or where :confused:

buckman
07-02-2021, 09:52 PM
Pike are opportunist feeders,they eat or attack whatever they can get when hungry,angry or territorial.

I have caught them on 12 inch herrings and 2 inch minnows. I fish a lake that holds huge pike of 30lbs plus. I have kept a few from there and they were all stuffed with scuds.

Certainly larger baits may deter smaller pike form hitting, but not always.

Smoky buck
07-03-2021, 05:43 AM
Pike are opportunist feeders,they eat or attack whatever they can get when hungry,angry or territorial.

I have caught them on 12 inch herrings and 2 inch minnows. I fish a lake that holds huge pike of 30lbs plus. I have kept a few from there and they were all stuffed with scuds.

Certainly larger baits may deter smaller pike form hitting, but not always.

I agree they are opportunistic and they will eat an easy small meal that is right in-front of them. There is no doubt they will eat small baits if it’s worth the effort

What I am stating is a large pike is often will often expel more effort to take a mid size to large meal.

As for keeping off small pike that seems to be impossible lol. Seems like they try to eat things 3/4 of their body length .

In the end go with what works for you. Myself I prefer 6-9inch baits which really is not big by pike standards but personally I experience better results. I also experience less deeply hooked fish. It definitely is not stopping the 20inch pike either lol

But hey it’s fishing and theories amongst anglers are endless