PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a kayak rod for pike/lake trout/walleye

scel
07-03-2021, 01:13 PM
Long time reader, infrequent poster. I asked a similar question question a year or so ago, but then the whole world was thrown upside down.

I have $500 to build a rod/reel/line for kayak fishing. I have enough space on my 12' cargo canoe (it is like a hybrid between a canoe and kayak) for 2 rods. The first slot is taken by an 8wt fly rod. I go on paddling camping trips and full-day paddling excursions (covering 20-30km in a day). I have settled on a baitcaster set-up. The reason why is simply for space. I have used baitcasters before. They are not super simple to use (like a spin-casting reel), but once the learning curve is surpassed, they seem to be overall more utilitarian.

I am a fly fishing person. I know it is frustrating when people ask 'I would like to build a fly fishing set up for salmon, barracuda, and small trout. Can you recommend something for $200 to do this?' I know there is not a 'do-it-all' setup, but I need something that fits multiple roles.

Setup would be used for 40% pike, 40% lake trout, and 20% walleye. If I am fishing for walleye, it is for food, not fun.

My research has landed me on Abu Garcia Revo Beast X Low profile ($250). I also think that braid will be a better choice over mono (I am competent with making leaders). Is this a decent choice? Would you recommend anything different?

What rod to pair with this reel? Fly rods are far more confusing, but I am having a bit of an issue figuring out if I need a MH or H rod. I assume the difference is simply the size of lure it can cast. Any recommendations in the $150-$200 range? Time would be spent equally between trolling, casting, and jigging.

The last $50 is for line, clasps, swivels, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Smoky buck
07-03-2021, 06:13 PM
Kinda hard to find a truly good do all rod if it’s casting, jiggling and trolling

Something that would make a decent fit for casting/trolling for pike and lakers is the bass pro brand musky predator rod in medium heavy. I just got into kayak fishing this year so opted to get the spinning model for simplicity we getting used to the kayak

So far it has impressed me for being a a bass pro brand rod

For jigging I prefer a shorter rod with more back bone so I would not be happy with it for that

EZM
07-03-2021, 08:22 PM
Your reel choice is OUTSTANDING ...... Abu Garcia is consistently amongst the best products (for reels) in the $200-$400 range ........... and this series is excellent.

I would suggest a Medium to Medium Heavy St.Croix Eyecon series (like around $200) up to whatever your budget allows - Avid, Legend being the higher end stuff. Pick the length you want, likely around 7ft and the tip action, fast tip or extra fast ....

You will have one sweet set up ...

scel
07-04-2021, 06:26 PM
Your reel choice is OUTSTANDING ...... Abu Garcia is consistently amongst the best products (for reels) in the $200-$400 range ........... and this series is excellent.

I would suggest a Medium to Medium Heavy St.Croix Eyecon series (like around $200) up to whatever your budget allows - Avid, Legend being the higher end stuff. Pick the length you want, likely around 7ft and the tip action, fast tip or extra fast ....

Sweet. Thanks so much, mate!

HuyFishin
07-04-2021, 08:11 PM

This would be a sweet set up. I use a 7foot med heavy for pike/walleye when I’m casting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZM
07-04-2021, 11:11 PM
This would be a sweet set up. I use a 7foot med heavy for pike/walleye when I’m casting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. And it also wears a Abu Garcia Revo ........... My favorite go to rods are nothing but St.Croix casting and spinning rods. Love them all.