PDA

View Full Version : Fenwick warranty

Bfishing
07-07-2021, 07:32 AM
Hey all, has anyone had any luck contacting them?
I broke my new rod and submitted a warranty request online and haven't heard a peep back.
Tried calling, got transfered a couple times and sat on ignore for 2 hours yesterday and half hour this morning so far.
Getting the feeling the warranty is all hot air.

mlee
07-07-2021, 07:46 AM
Where did you buy the rod? I've had 2 warranty rod issues from 2 different manufacturers (both were mid level rods around the $200 mark). I had zero issues taking them back to the store I bought them from for warranty. One was exchanged on site same day, the other was about 3 days later they called and told me to come pick up a new rod and it didn't even have to be the exact same rod just from the same manufacturer.

bessiedog
07-07-2021, 08:01 AM
Fenwick is crap. I used to have a nice 2nd gen graphite rod 9’ 6wt fly rod …. They said I had a lifetime warranty. This was when they were still made in Canada. Tip broke from just normal use…..took me forever to actually talk to a guy. The guy finally sent me a brand new rod but said that my warranty is over so don’t call back.

Stuff is all manufactured in China now as well.

Tip broke from normal use again a year later……

Good luck. On site vendors refuse to help to.. ya gotta call the number.

CardiacCowboy
07-07-2021, 08:58 AM
Have had luck on going back to store I bought it and talking to right people. Sometimes they will replace, sometimes they keep product to show to vendor, sometimes they have shipped for me for warranty replacement, sometimes nothing but worth the try,

ghostguy6
07-07-2021, 11:43 AM
I sent one rod to them. I had to fill out the online form because like you I never could talk to anyone useful on the phone. Fenwick says the rod never arrived, Canukistani Post showed it arrived. This was about 2 years ago so I have accepted the rod is not going to be replaced.

I bought the rod at the Fishin Hole's boxing day sale and had to wait 5 months before open water only to have the tip break off on the first cast. They were no help because I couldn't find the receipt.

Stubb
07-07-2021, 12:15 PM
I've had the same experience with Fenwick warranty and like many others, i just gave up.

LJalberta
07-07-2021, 01:45 PM
Received a new Aetos fly rod after my first one broke. Due to manufacturing backup it took about 6 months to actually get the rod though.

Broke a different rod recently. I hope it's a quicker turn around. I'd just keep emailing them.

English Setter
07-07-2021, 04:45 PM
I broke one last summer and applied on line for warranty replacement. I all but gave up hope and then a few months ago I received a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyrodfisher
07-07-2021, 06:38 PM
Sheesh...you guys are tough on rods...

bessiedog
07-07-2021, 08:35 PM

Well when ya catch fish bigger n 12”………gear gets tested.

My fenwick tip busted on a20+” bull trout

They pull lil bit.

flyrodfisher
07-07-2021, 10:50 PM
Well when ya catch fish bigger n 12”………gear gets tested.

My fenwick tip busted on a20+” bull trout

They pull lil bit.

LOL
Been FFing for over 40 years....never had a rod (or reel) fail...yet.
More days on the water each season than some have had in a lifetime.
Used a 35 year old Orvis 4 weight to land a 28 inch bully last fall....

And before I get jumped on for using light tackle for big fish...I was targeting rockies when the bully hit...

Smoky buck
07-07-2021, 11:29 PM
LOL

And before I get jumped on for using light tackle for big fish...I was targeting rockies when the bully hit...

Getting close to 40 years of fishing myself broken more than a few rods but all we’re operator error or hooking unintended species

As for reels I have fried the gears in many reels over the years. Heavy use on mid size to larger species. River fishing salmon was the worst for killing reels

I put in a lot of days as well and have found where and what you are targeting makes a big difference

And Fenwick has poor customer service I basically act like they don’t have warranty if I buy one

ghostguy6
07-07-2021, 11:47 PM

I think a big part of it is people bending the tips too far in the store then putting them back on the rack for the next poor sucker to buy.

I'm hard on my gear and I'll admit many of the failures are my fault. I dont know if its bad luck or what but I have had a few rods fail on the first use that should not have failed. Perhaps rods are just not built like they used to be.

bessiedog
07-08-2021, 01:38 AM
LOL

Is this the part where we pull out our expertise… er…cards…?

Sheesh indeed.

Perhaps your initial reply was tad huffy-shee-shee-snotty-poo-poo?

Oh ya…. I’ve been fishing for longer than…… oh never mind. It seems like my experience with Fenwickis very similar to others…. So….

flyrodfisher
07-08-2021, 02:11 AM
Is this the part where we pull out our expertise… er…cards…?

Sheesh indeed.

Perhaps your initial reply was tad huffy-shee-shee-snotty-poo-poo?

Oh ya…. I’ve been fishing for longer than…… oh never mind. It seems like my experience with Fenwickis very similar to others…. So….

Sorry...not intended to be snotty.
Just surprised at the amount of folks breaking rods...

StringTheory
07-08-2021, 11:09 AM
I've had pretty good experiences with Fenwicks warranty so far. So much so that slowly all my rods are becoming fenwicks. I've broken two HMG's in the last two years, both my fault. The first was replaced within a couple weeks of submitting the online form. The second (during Covid) took 4-5 months, cant remember exactly how long but everyone was experiencing shortages in that time. But both were replaced at a discount since it was my fault, I was able to speak to someone on the phone both times as well.

CardiacCowboy
07-08-2021, 11:17 AM
The new rods can fail fairly easily. Slightest imperfection in manufacture can cause a weak spot. Usually if it doesn't fail on first time out it good to go and if it fails after that usually you have nicked it and created a weak spot.

Penner
07-08-2021, 08:42 PM
I broke the tip off a Walleye Class rod rod a number of years back. Sent them an email and a pic of the rod. Had a new tip mailed to me a few weeks later. Was quite a while back so maybe things have changed.

ghostguy6
07-08-2021, 10:59 PM
I broke the tip off a Walleye Class rod rod a number of years back. Sent them an email and a pic of the rod. Had a new tip mailed to me a few weeks later. Was quite a while back so maybe things have changed.

Things have changed. You now must get an RMA number or they will not accept the rod. You have to mail the rod to them and it is up to Fenwick to decide if the rod failed due to manufacturer's defect or abuse. The original rod will not be returned. They will either send a new rod or sell you a new one at a discount. Replacement tips are not available anymore.

Bfishing
07-13-2021, 05:38 AM
Thanks to those who stayed on topic and discussed their experiences with Fenwick warranty.
Im sure the reason it seems that so many have broken rods is that its a "broken rod' thread lol.
I resorted to calling Cabelas and low and behold....I am taking the rod in this weekend for an exchange. They apparently have a 60 day no question warranty. Nice!!!
As far as Fenwick warranty goes.... pretty much none existent it seems. Not sure I would buy another.
Cheers all!

The Fisherman Guy
07-14-2021, 03:38 PM
Head over to the Fenwick website and review the information and instructions on their warranty page. Follow the instructions to file a warranty claim being sure to include the information requested to qualify under the terms of the warranty program.

Not all rod breaks are a result from a defect in materials or manufacturing, while some are - many are not.

Once you've filed a claim, give them some time to review and process your claim. If you haven't heard back in 14 business days, follow up with a phone call to receive an update.

Fenwick even offers to give you a discount on a new rod if you broke one by accident - taken from their warranty page: "Everyone has broken a rod by accident, but Fenwick isn't going to penalize you for it. We're going to give you a sweet deal on a replacement rod and get you back on the water."

Take the time to read all the information on the warranty page, and file a claim accordingly. Be patient - it's the height of summer fishing season, at the tail end of a pandemic which caused disruptions to the supply chain. You might not get a replacement immediately - but you will be taken care of if you follow the instructions.