PDA

View Full Version : My prop is dented - should I replace it?

alxwang
07-07-2021, 09:06 AM
Hi There, Wind blows my boat to a shallow area and I shut down my engine too late. Therefore, my prop is dent as showing in the attached photo. After the accident, I did not feel any difference when driving the boat. For sure, my top speed is 20K after got my small boat. The front hub looks well too.

The question is should I replace the prop? My research tells me if I do not see the problem I should not replace it. On the other hand, a damaged prop could damage the engine in the long run.

If I should, does there any cheaper choice other than blackmax which will cost me $200?

My outboard is Mercury 25mlh and the boat is Lund WC-16.

Thanks!

elkhunter11
07-07-2021, 09:15 AM
Larger props are worth having repaired, the smaller props not so ,much. If you look online, there are suppliers other than the original manufacturers that sell some pretty cheap props.

SamSteele
07-07-2021, 09:36 AM
I would plan on replacing it or sending it to be repaired. You can file down the rough edges and try to smooth it out, but unbalance may remain which can cause undue wear on your driveshaft, bearings, etc.

Blackmax props are the Merc version. Quicksilver is the cheaper brand of merc props and they are identical as far as I can tell. It would be worthwhile pricing one of them out.

SS

Dean2
07-07-2021, 09:50 AM
Well, in this case you can clearly see the problem, even if you can't feel it. Another vote for get it fixed or replace it and keep this as a spare in the boat in case you prang the next one worse. Running unbalanced props is VERY hard on the motor, definitely not worth doing for the relatively low cost of getting a prop rebuilt or replaced.

58thecat
07-07-2021, 10:33 AM
Replace it, get the other repaired and keep as a spare.

thorne
07-07-2021, 10:37 AM

Yep....what cat and the others say....its now a spare.

schleprock
07-07-2021, 11:43 AM
I would replace it immediately.

TROLLER
07-07-2021, 11:59 AM

Best advise. Send it to Prop Masters in Airdrie. The can repair it no problem

Walleyedude
07-07-2021, 12:59 PM
Larger props are worth having repaired, the smaller props not so ,much. If you look online, there are suppliers other than the original manufacturers that sell some pretty cheap props.

X2.

Get the part number or the diameter and pitch and do a search online. Lots of inexpensive options out there for a new replacement. I completely agree with the others, running a damaged prop is not good, I’d look into replacing it ASAP.

If it still functions OK like you’ve stated, I wouldn’t repair it myself, I’d keep it as a useable spare.

If you do look into getting it repaired, I did NOT have a good experience with Prop Masters, and I definitely wouldn’t recommend them.

AlbertanGP
07-07-2021, 03:01 PM
Perfect opportunity to upgrade to a 4 blade Spitfire prop....100X better than that three blade for your setup. Part #8M8026655.

TROLLER
07-07-2021, 04:31 PM
Perfect opportunity to upgrade to a 4 blade Spitfire prop....100X better than that three blade for your setup. Part #8M8026655.

Without a doubt. If you are running a 3 blade it should become your spare. Get a 4 blade for sure. You will notice a considerable diff. if performance

deanna
07-07-2021, 04:51 PM
Can a damaged prop make the outboard sound like it has an issue. I damaged my prop last time I was out last year and motor was running really rough on the way in had to crawl in. Didn't realize the prop was damaged until I got it out of the water. Haven't had time to fire it yet this year it's this weekends project

old dog
07-07-2021, 04:53 PM

And he does a great job for a reasonable price and he also carries new props

fish99
07-07-2021, 06:16 PM
prop masters has cheap new props as well , i picked up a 4 blade as a spare for my 150 merc , was under $200. at the time .

DiabeticKripple
07-07-2021, 07:42 PM
If you don’t change it out you’ll likely take the bearing out later on.

ragweed
07-07-2021, 08:12 PM

I second this suggestion. Stew is the man for this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thorne
07-07-2021, 09:50 PM
Its not just the "Dent" the profile can be thrown way off as well which will cause serious performance issues and balance issues besides what the weight difference makes on the damaged blades. Once hit a submerged lod with an aluminum prop...lifted the motor to inspect and could see no noticeable damage, however after the boat seemed sluggish, longer to get on plane, and just performance issues in general. I took a good look at the prop and still...it looked perfect! Did a bunch of motor maintenence and checked out the leg looking for issues and all seemed to be fine....finally just said screw it and bought a new prop exact match to the one I was replacing...and all issues resolved! Ran perfect. Took the new prop off and did as best a Face to Face comparison as I could, and couldn't see a damn difference, but obviously a blade or three was slightly bent a hair off true and it was the issue. And I hate to say it, but its a small price and a quick fix...if a boat has an issue, and the fix is $200.00 and a few minutes to swap out, you are doing great! Remember...BOAT is an acronym...Bill Out Another Thousand!

Frank_NK28
07-07-2021, 10:24 PM
If you continue to run it like that it can wear the housing off centre from running off true center. Have it repaired. I left one one season years ago and wore the housing out on a 25 Mariner. Had to replace the entire lower unit casing.....alot cheaper to repair and you have the added problem if it's not running true of leaking water into your lower unit past the seal.

alxwang
07-08-2021, 01:40 PM
Thank you all! I have bought the replacement already. I will replace it before the next time getting into the water.