PDA

View Full Version : Waterton Lake Trout from the Yak

LUNKDAWGEH
07-12-2021, 04:56 PM
Hey all,

I went down to Waterton on the weekend and hit up Upper Waterton Lake from shore and with my kayak. What a gorgeous place! I didn't find a 20 lb Brown.... but I tried!!!

Check it out in the link below if interested!

https://youtu.be/y1dbQbMTKHI

:sHa_shakeshout:

David Henry
07-12-2021, 05:47 PM
Nice, thanks for sharing the video.

pikeman06
07-12-2021, 06:18 PM
Right on bud. Don't hear much from down that way, good to see there's still some nice ones in there. Thanks.

Red Bullets
07-12-2021, 07:35 PM
Gorgeous fish. Thanks for sharing.

OL_JR
07-12-2021, 10:54 PM
Thanks for sharing that I've never been to Waterton but definitely looks like an interesting place to check out.

LUNKDAWGEH
07-13-2021, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys! I'd definitely recommend checking out the area. Very scenic. When you postcards from AB, it's usually a shot of Waterton it seems. I've hardly explored it but years back I remember getting some Brookies out of one of the nearby Alpine lakes too...

Does anyone know how rare it is to catch a Brown? I only found Lakers.

Sent from my motorola one hyper using Tapatalk

marlin1
07-13-2021, 12:31 PM
nice looking fish . good on you for letting the bigger one go

highwood
07-13-2021, 01:16 PM
Not sure if you've been to Waterton lakes on a windy day......you might want familiarize yourself with that when taking a kayak out there without a life jacket. It gets hairy. Fast.

GStyler
07-14-2021, 09:55 AM
nice looking fish . good on you for letting the bigger one go

I agree.

But, should have let the Foul hooked one go as well.

CardiacCowboy
07-14-2021, 11:30 AM
I agree.

+1

LUNKDAWGEH
07-14-2021, 11:38 AM
Not sure if you've been to Waterton lakes on a windy day......you might want familiarize yourself with that when taking a kayak out there without a life jacket. It gets hairy. Fast.

Life jacket was within arms reach if things took a turn for the worse luckily!

LUNKDAWGEH
07-14-2021, 11:40 AM
I agree.

Meh, pretty discretionary. I let the one that I caught at the creek go and it wasn't foul hooked. At the end of the day, I was almost done fishing and knew it would be my only fish taken.

Edit: To be clear, I likely wouldn't have taken this fish had I not already released two non-foul hooked fish. Also, intentional foul hooking is of course a no-no, whereas in this case the fish missed the hook in approx. 25 FOW where I could not see the fish.

58thecat
07-14-2021, 11:46 AM
now you got my gears going...yak fishing is a blast and congrats on the catch too....that one ya kept is what I call a eater all day long:sHa_shakeshout:

Esox
07-14-2021, 12:52 PM
the one in the marina was a cool looking fish for sure. I thought they had banned motorized boats on waterton but it looks like there were lots of them parked in the marina.

buckman
07-14-2021, 02:12 PM
I talked to a couple of old timers there years ago. They used to use a live whitefish for bait and wait. According to them 20lb plus lakers were fairly common.

I have caught them up to 15 lb off the cliffs close to where Cameron creek flows in on lures.

buckman
07-14-2021, 02:13 PM
the one in the marina was a cool looking fish for sure. I thought they had banned motorized boats on waterton but it looks like there were lots of them parked in the marina.

So you can use motors again? Anyone know if this is the case.

GStyler
07-14-2021, 06:39 PM
Meh, pretty discretionary. I let the one that I caught at the creek go and it wasn't foul hooked. At the end of the day, I was almost done fishing and knew it would be my only fish taken.

Edit: To be clear, I likely wouldn't have taken this fish had I not already released two non-foul hooked fish. Also, intentional foul hooking is of course a no-no, whereas in this case the fish missed the hook in approx. 25 FOW where I could not see the fish.

Not sure how it's discretionary, and I'm not sure how its something to be so lackadaisical about. It is not legal to fish by foul hooking. A foul hooked fish is a foul hooked fish, intentional or not. So, it was not a fish that could have been legally kept. Pretty cut and dried.

Kudos for releasing the other two fish. But legally, this one should have been put back. Replacing one foul hooked fish for one that wasn't foul hooked isn't how it works. It doesn't matter if its the end of the day, and you are gonna have to eat hotdogs otherwise.

What do you mean likely? The limit is 2. And if you had already kept 2 fish, you are supposed to stop fishing for the day, and this fish would never have been caught.

LUNKDAWGEH
07-14-2021, 06:59 PM
Not sure how it's discretionary, and I'm not sure how its something to be so lackadaisical about. It is not legal to fish by foul hooking. A foul hooked fish is a foul hooked fish, intentional or not. So, it was not a fish that could have been legally kept. Pretty cut and dried.

Kudos for releasing the other two fish. But legally, this one should have been put back. Replacing one foul hooked fish for one that wasn't foul hooked isn't how it works. It doesn't matter if its the end of the day, and you are gonna have to eat hotdogs otherwise.

What do you mean likely? The limit is 2. And if you had already kept 2 fish, you are supposed to stop fishing for the day, and this fish would never have been caught.This was the only fish I kept. Sorry for keeping this Laker instead of the previous one, next time I will correct my mistake.

LUNKDAWGEH
07-14-2021, 08:13 PM
the one in the marina was a cool looking fish for sure. I thought they had banned motorized boats on waterton but it looks like there were lots of them parked in the marina.I think they banned them in 2017 but now there is a 90 day quarantine rule... Not exactly sure how that works.

LUNKDAWGEH
07-14-2021, 08:14 PM
I talked to a couple of old timers there years ago. They used to use a live whitefish for bait and wait. According to them 20lb plus lakers were fairly common.

I have caught them up to 15 lb off the cliffs close to where Cameron creek flows in on lures.Nice.

Jigger
07-14-2021, 08:37 PM

What do you mean likely? The limit is 2. And if you had already kept 2 fish, you are supposed to stop fishing for the day, and this fish would never have been caught.

What are you talking about? You sound confused

58thecat
07-15-2021, 07:07 AM

Snagging – Attempting to catch a fish using a hook: a) other than to induce the fish to voluntarily take the hook in its mouth; or b) by intentionally piercing and hooking a fish in any part of the body other than the mouth.

Op was not snagging he was angling and the fish took a run at his lure and got caught....this happens often while angling and yup if the fish can be legally kept then so be it....

Your all over the map on your posts...he kept and bonked one....

Only thing I can say tomthe op is ahhhhh bigger net:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Like I mentioned earlier going to google that area and tak the yak there....thx for sharing

LUNKDAWGEH
07-15-2021, 09:50 AM
Only thing I can say tomthe op is ahhhhh bigger net:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Hahaha [emoji23] Yup, why are nets the bane of my existence. I guess I'm going to have to drop real money on one soon lol.

Thanks for clarifying.

koothunter
07-15-2021, 09:52 AM
What do you mean likely? The limit is 2. And if you had already kept 2 fish, you are supposed to stop fishing for the day, and this fish would never have been caught.[/QUOTE]

So you're not allowed to fish in places that the limit is 0 and all fishing is C&R??? That's a special thought process.

58thecat
07-15-2021, 10:10 AM
Hahaha [emoji23] Yup, why are nets the bane of my existence. I guess I'm going to have to drop real money on one soon lol.

Thanks for clarifying.

I found myself when in the yak I don't even use a net, play them to the side and go from there, I use a 30" ice fishing rod if jigging for any species as I like the small rods best for the simple fact I can lay them down beside me. If using my 6' rods for casting or trolling once I get the fish to the side of the boat they go in the rod holder but with the drag set rather loose then I can handle the fish and not worry about the rod etc....I think we all develop what works for us based on our yak make, model etc.....I have learnt some hard yak lessons over the last two years...and still learning...I like that you have your plyers etc attached to a floaty....I will buy a few pool noodle and modify accordingly....see ya never stop learning!

GStyler
07-15-2021, 11:00 AM
What are you talking about? You sound confused

I'll put it in simpler terms that you can understand...
He snagged a fish, and then kept it.

Snagging – Attempting to catch a fish using a hook: a) other than to induce the fish to voluntarily take the hook in its mouth; or b) by intentionally piercing and hooking a fish in any part of the body other than the mouth.

Op was not snagging he was angling and the fish took a run at his lure and got caught....this happens often while angling and yup if the fish can be legally kept then so be it....

Your all over the map on your posts...he kept and bonked one....

I know it happens all the time. It's still a snagged fish.
Where in Canada is it legal to keep a snagged fish?

The National Parks regs don't specifically state that you aren't allowed to keep an "accidentally" foul hooked fish. They define Foul hooking as: "foul hooking means fishing with a hook or hooks attached to a line manipulated in such a manner as to pierce a fish in any part of its body other than its mouth;" and it states: "16 No person shall fish in park waters by foul hooking."

If you foul hooked a fish, then you must have been fishing by manipulating your line in a manner as to pierce the fish in a part of its body other than its mouth.

Feel free to try explaining to a Park Warden that the fish you hooked in the belly was legal to keep.

Or, you could have some sense of sportsmanship, and let the fish go.

So you're not allowed to fish in places that the limit is 0 and all fishing is C&R??? That's a special thought process.

I think you should have a read of the National Parks regulations before making a comment bud.
If there is a retention limit on a species, and you have reached that retention limit, your day is over.
For 0 retention limit catch and release is ok.

Kawibunga
07-15-2021, 11:27 AM
And again I wonder why people post about their fishing.

You fish legally, you keep one to eat where the limit is 2, you release the bigger one to spawn another day, you're courteous enough to show us your awesome video........... and the fun police hassle you because the one you kept was ACCIDENLTY snagged?? Foul hooked cause it went to hit your bait and missed, this fish was on the bait and missed, it wasn't spawning in a river and getting snagged by a big treble or something, like come on..........

The Elitism and fun police in the fishing community never cease to amaze me.

Nice fish by the way, my 14 year old is saving up his lawn mowing money for his first Yak. But I guess I'll have to make sure I whoop him if he ever keeps one that was accidently foul hooked..... :)

koothunter
07-15-2021, 11:36 AM

The National Parks regs don't specifically state that you aren't allowed to keep an "accidentally" foul hooked fish. They define Foul hooking as: "foul hooking means fishing with a hook or hooks attached to a line manipulated in such a manner as to pierce a fish in any part of its body other than its mouth;" and it states: "16 No person shall fish in park waters by foul hooking."

If you foul hooked a fish, then you must have been fishing by manipulating your line in a manner as to pierce the fish in a part of its body other than its mouth.

Feel free to try explaining to a Park Warden that the fish you hooked in the belly was legal to keep.

I think you should have a read of the National Parks regulations before making a comment bud.
If there is a retention limit on a species, and you have reached that retention limit, your day is over.

Key word for snagging is "intentional". You obviously haven't fished much if you've never had a fish take a swipe at your hook and get hooked somewhere besides it's mouth. Was his hook "manipulated in such a manner as to pierce a fish in any part of its body other than its mouth"? No, he was trying to get the fish to bite the lure.

The retention limits is a moot point anyway, as he didn't keep any other fish.

DRhunter
07-15-2021, 01:14 PM
And again I wonder why people post about their fishing.

You fish legally, you keep one to eat where the limit is 2, you release the bigger one to spawn another day, you're courteous enough to show us your awesome video........... and the fun police hassle you because the one you kept was ACCIDENLTY snagged?? Foul hooked cause it went to hit your bait and missed, this fish was on the bait and missed, it wasn't spawning in a river and getting snagged by a big treble or something, like come on..........

The Elitism and fun police in the fishing community never cease to amaze me.

Nice fish by the way, my 14 year old is saving up his lawn mowing money for his first Yak. But I guess I'll have to make sure I whoop him if he ever keeps one that was accidently foul hooked..... :)

X2

Thanks to the OP for posting an awesome video!!

No wonder we hardly see any fishing or hunting pictures/videos on this forum anymore. Too many idiots out there that can’t wait to show everyone how “smart” they are on the regulations and how much “better” they are for only practicing catch and release. Very sad the one complaining doesn’t spend more time fishing/hunting rather than being a keyboard warrior.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallen1817
07-15-2021, 02:09 PM

So based on your interpretation, whether you foul hook a fish intentionally or not is irrelevant. So I'd watch it, sonny. Because the warden may just give you a ticket the next time you reel in a foul-hooked fish, because, as you said, "yOu MuSt HaVe BeEn MaNiPuLaTiNg YoUr LiNe In A mAnNeR...."

Go back to your cave and let the fishermen enjoy their fishing.

Great video, OP. Keep up the great work, and don't let the fun police chase you around. They have a "no pursuit" policy :sHa_sarcasticlol:

58thecat
07-15-2021, 02:39 PM

The key to this is intentional.....the OP was legally angling and not manipulating the hooks as to pierce the fishes body to encourage intentionally a foul hook set....or so called snagging......jeeper eh let it go

deanna
07-15-2021, 05:53 PM
This country is doomed. This is an Alberta forum & it's full of Woke, Judgmental scolds. Fack off. I'm going fishing for walleye tomorrow and plan on Killing a couple & having a nice supper of fresh fish. Sheesh. Good post I bet that laker tasted great

SNAPFisher
07-15-2021, 09:53 PM
All nice fish for sure. Casted out of the same inflow a few years back. I just caught small whitefish though. Should have brought the boat!

I'm not sure all the huff over GStyler. It certainly is not legal in Alberta to possess a snagged fish. National Parks...hard to tell. Lots of literature on this and generally frowned upon in most places. Try it in Alaska and let me know how it works out for you...

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/Search/Advanced.aspx?&h1dd3n1d=SC5L6S8598VC-17&ddC0nt3ntTyp3=Regulations&h1dd3nPag3Num=1&txtS3archA11=snagging#results

58thecat
07-16-2021, 07:22 AM
All nice fish for sure. Casted out of the same inflow a few years back. I just caught small whitefish though. Should have brought the boat!

I'm not sure all the huff over GStyler. It certainly is not legal in Alberta to possess a snagged fish. National Parks...hard to tell. Lots of literature on this and generally frowned upon in most places. Try it in Alaska and let me know how it works out for you...

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/Search/Advanced.aspx?&h1dd3n1d=SC5L6S8598VC-17&ddC0nt3ntTyp3=Regulations&h1dd3nPag3Num=1&txtS3archA11=snagging#results

The huff is that this GStyler is saying that the OP kept a fish caught illegally....in which he did not.....

I spent time fishing all over Alaska and when a fish made a run at the roe bag, lure etc and missed but got caught beside the mouth etc and it was a keeper well it went into the smoker ....now if you were chucking a large treble out and and pulling it in over a body of water with fish in it well you are going to be in a world of poop or using a lure to dangle beside a fish attempting to ill hook it in any manner well you again will be on the bad end of a ticket book....

Key words need to be understood....snagging....hook....altered lure....etc

Oh well hope the OP keeps on showing us places he went to and doesn’t go away cuz areas and information plus sharing with us is awesome....

CardiacCowboy
07-16-2021, 08:39 AM
Not indented to dump on op, his video was appreciated and not intentionally snagging. However.....My interpretation of rules has always been the a foul hooked fish was not legal to retain. Just looked up regs and it is not as clear as I remember (maybe they changed the wording). If intention was part of rules then it would be near impossible to prove. The not keeping foul hooked fish eliminate the defense of accidental snagging from those intentionally snagging.

Once again not directed at op but those piling on to GStyler. He pointed out an error and got attacked for it.

Straight from regs
It is unlawful to:
Possess fish taken by snagging

Snagging defined in regs:
Snagging – Attempting to catch a fish using a hook:
a) other than to induce the fish to voluntarily take the hook in its
mouth; or
b) by intentionally piercing and hooking a fish in any part of the body
other than the mouth.

The definition of snagging makes things not so clear. I am sure it was clear at some point in regs years ago that foul hooked fish must be released. That has been my understanding and practice for years. Maybe rule has changed. That is worth DISCUSSING but lets keep the personal attacks, politics, world view out of it.

Scott N
07-16-2021, 09:39 AM
I'll add my two bits here too...

One of my old high school buddies was a CO in BC and he introduced me to salmon fishing in rivers. Some of the fish get accidently foul hooked, and buddy told me "I don't care what you do, but you shouldn't keep fish that have accidently been foul-hooked." That's BC, not AB or a National Park, so take it for what it is. I only mention the point because it's not really as black and white as some are assuming, no need to jump on people for raising a concern over legal (or not legal) fishing practices.

Bottom line is that's a nice catch for Waterton, it's a nice area of the province and very unique.

LUNKDAWGEH
07-16-2021, 09:44 AM
I'm glad we got a conversation going on this as there is rightly confusion around the subject.

I would welcome a conversation with a CO or Park Warden for clarification but let's just take a second to really read into the provincial ruling...

(The National Park rulings seemed more vague as had been stated)

Snagging “Attempting to catch a fish using a hook:

a) other than to induce the fish to voluntarily take the hook in its mouth; or

--------

a) I was attempting to induce the fish to take the hook in it's mouth.

Example of Rule Breaking: Using a piece of bait attached to a string with no hooks on it, and then having hooks set a few inches behind that are designed to hook the fishes gills.

To say I did not induce the fish to voluntarily take the hook in it's mouth by manipulating the hook incorrectly isn't a true statement.

I was still attempting to induce the fish to take the hook in it's mouth even if it wasn't the end result.

This ruling actually seems to have quite a bit to do with intention.

b) I did not intentionally pierce the fish in any part of its body.

I saw some people saying that intention doesn't matter but it's right there in the wording.

Based on the provincial ruling this fish was taken legally in my opinion.

As for National Parks? Maybe someone else has better clarification.

This all being said, others have brought up good points on how discouraging it can be to take a lot of time, dedication, and luck (lol that's fishing) to producing a quality video, and be met with negativity which I think is true especially for the younger kids that are just starting out.

I have no problem keeping people honest and asking questions, but if we can keep it civil towards each other in this forum, it will help bring new growth to our sport rather than drive people away from it.

Kawibunga
07-16-2021, 10:13 AM
This all being said, others have brought up good points on how discouraging it can be to take a lot of time, dedication, and luck (lol that's fishing) to producing a quality video, and be met with negativity which I think is true especially for the younger kids that are just starting out.

If we can keep it civil towards each other in this forum, it will help bring new growth to our sport rather than drive people away from it.

And I think that's the crux of the matter as they say. My intention was not to have Gstyler piled onto. But when one is jumped on for posting what by most interpretations and opinions is perfectly legal. And jumped on when one takes the time to share their pictures and story. People just won't post again, completely taking away from the enjoyment of the board, and the stories that are told. That's really it....

Parker Hale
07-16-2021, 10:18 AM
Looks like an awesome fishing trip, but I think you need a bigger net!

CardiacCowboy
07-16-2021, 10:39 AM
Definitely nothing wrong with how the fish was caught. I always thought that a accidently snagged fish must be released.

Regs say you can't keep a snagged fish. My interpretation of "snagged fish" is foul hooked . However regs define snagging with intent. Catching fish with intent to hook them other then in the mouth is not allowed. Catching fish accidently by any part other then the mouth is not a violation. If you apply the reg definition of "snagging" not the common definition "foul hooked" to retention then said fish can be kept.

I think this thread is not about this and we should post a new thread about WHETHER A FOUL HOOKED FISH SHOULD BE RELEASED if we want to discuss furtherer.

I'm glad we got a conversation going on this as there is rightly confusion around the subject.

I would welcome a conversation with a CO or Park Warden for clarification but let's just take a second to really read into the provincial ruling...

--------

Example of Rule Breaking: Using a piece of bait attached to a string with no hooks on it, and then having hooks set a few inches behind that are designed to hook the fishes gills.

To say I did not induce the fish to voluntarily take the hook in it's mouth by manipulating the hook incorrectly isn't a true statement.

I was still attempting to induce the fish to take the hook in it's mouth even if it wasn't the end result.

I saw some people saying that intention doesn't matter but it's right there in the wording.

I have no problem keeping people honest and asking questions, but if we can keep it civil towards each other in this forum, it will help bring new growth to our sport rather than drive people away from it.

58thecat
07-16-2021, 12:15 PM
Looks like an awesome fishing trip, but I think you need a bigger net!

Haha that’s what I said earlier…..and a real bonker too….yak fishing can get chaotic at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BanffJohn
07-16-2021, 03:27 PM
This was the only fish I kept. Sorry for keeping this Laker instead of the previous one, next time I will correct my mistake.

Are you always such a passive-aggressive *******, or just when you get called out for keeping a foul-hooked fish?

BanffJohn
07-16-2021, 03:35 PM

So you're not allowed to fish in places that the limit is 0 and all fishing is C&R??? That's a special thought process.[/QUOTE]

Thinking he said ANYTHING about fishing somewhere where the limit is zero? A special thought process indeed.
As you SHOULD already know, but clearly don’t-if the limit somewhere is “x” and you’ve RETAINED that many, then your day fishing is supposed to be over.
It’s simple. Or at least it should be.

CardiacCowboy
07-16-2021, 03:53 PM
Maybe some people don't know you need to have a special license just for National Parks and there are different rules.

One of those rules is if you are fishing in a water where you are aloud to keep fish (2) once you have retained these you are supposed to stop fishing. If you are fishing where no fish are allowed to be kept then rules does not apply.

Thinking he said ANYTHING about fishing somewhere where the limit is zero? A special thought process indeed.
As you SHOULD already know, but clearly don’t-if the limit somewhere is “x” and you’ve RETAINED that many, then your day fishing is supposed to be over.
It’s simple. Or at least it should be.[/QUOTE]

SNAPFisher
07-16-2021, 07:50 PM
And I think that's the crux of the matter as they say. My intention was not to have Gstyler piled onto. But when one is jumped on for posting what by most interpretations and opinions is perfectly legal. And jumped on when one takes the time to share their pictures and story. People just won't post again, completely taking away from the enjoyment of the board, and the stories that are told. That's really it....

Leave it to LUNKDAWGEH on what he wants to do.

If somebody is that thin skinned, probably should stay away from all forms of social media anyways. :shark:

SNAPFisher
07-16-2021, 07:59 PM
The huff is that this GStyler is saying that the OP kept a fish caught illegally....in which he did not.....

I spent time fishing all over Alaska and when a fish made a run at the roe bag, lure etc and missed but got caught beside the mouth etc and it was a keeper well it went into the smoker ....now if you were chucking a large treble out and and pulling it in over a body of water with fish in it well you are going to be in a world of poop or using a lure to dangle beside a fish attempting to ill hook it in any manner well you again will be on the bad end of a ticket book....

Key words need to be understood....snagging....hook....altered lure....etc

Oh well hope the OP keeps on showing us places he went to and doesn’t go away cuz areas and information plus sharing with us is awesome....

My comment on Alaska is that snagging is well enforced. I've had my fish checked thoroughly there by the fish cops looking for any snagging mark. They will take those fish away, and, if they witnessed you keep them then write you up as well. For a guy visiting there twice, fished 10 times and was check half of those times...
They take it seriously. And there is no question on was it intentional or not. You keep something that was not caught in the mouth and you pay. No exceptions.

This is not the only forum talking about it. And that is because it is not legal in most places and commonly frowned upon. Don't understand the surprise here. No huff. GStyler was fine bringing it up.

https://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forum/alaska-fishing-forums/alaska-freshwater-fishing/126961-keeping-snagged-fish

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/confused-about-foul-hooked-fish.54695/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fishing/comments/d2h7jb/why_is_it_illegal_to_keep_fish_that_were_not/

https://www.fishingduo.com/is-snagging-fish-illegal-laws-for-all-50-states/

https://www.fishingwithrod.com/glossary/foul-hooked.html

etc.....

burbotman
07-16-2021, 08:20 PM
OP (LUNKDAWGEH) thank you for sharing your video and this post. Great day and some nice fish. Your post is an example of the posts that add value to this forum.

The easiest thing in the world to do is sit back and critic. I sure hope your critics have added value to this forum by sharing pics and videos like you have.

SNAPFisher
07-16-2021, 08:39 PM

--------

Intentional or not, snagging is snagging. Unfortunate that some of the worlds real idiots take advantage of it and ruin it for those that didn't plan on it. But that is the way it is.

Personally I don't care if you kept the fish at all. No problem with it. But,
I know if I posted a video on here of a fish I caught snagging (non-intentional) that I would expect a lot of flak....like a literal __it ton.

Last question, will this thread stop you from posting on here ever again?

thumper
07-16-2021, 08:42 PM
Great video & thanks for posting it.

I'm actually surprised that our National Parks still permit any fishing at all. You're not permitted to collect berries or mushrooms, keep any feathers or antlers you may find, or even stop to admire wildlife in some areas. Just catching wildlife (fish) is an anomaly in the National Parks - let alone killing them!

I think our days of fishing our mountain national parks are numbered, and I'll sorely miss it. Enjoy it while you can!

I’d rather be outdoors
07-16-2021, 08:59 PM
Great video & thanks for posting it.

I'm actually surprised that our National Parks still permit any fishing at all. You're not permitted to collect berries or mushrooms, keep any feathers or antlers you may find, or even stop to admire wildlife in some areas. Just catching wildlife (fish) is an anomaly in the National Parks - let alone killing them!

I think our days of fishing our mountain national parks are numbered, and I'll sorely miss it. Enjoy it while you can!

“Look but don’t you dare touch” does appear to be the way the national parks are going. They won’t blink to take away what’s left as soon as they find any excuse to.

LUNKDAWGEH
07-16-2021, 09:27 PM
Intentional or not, snagging is snagging. Unfortunate that some of the worlds real idiots take advantage of it and ruin it for those that didn't plan on it. But that is the way it is.

Personally I don't care if you kept the fish at all. No problem with it. But,

I know if I posted a video on here of a fish I caught snagging (non-intentional) that I would expect a lot of flak....like a literal __it ton.

Last question, will this thread stop you from posting on here ever again?I understand the sportsmanship side of things, and can see how it may be taken advantage of, legal or not, and to be honest if a situation like that were to occur I may think otherwise than going straight to bonk-city to appease my belly.

It won't prevent me from posting again... And I do expect the flak but here's the thing... Many people use the magic of editing to make fishing seem like everyone is perfect and no one ever makes a mistake.

Maybe this was a mistake, from a legality perspective perhaps no but from a sportsmanship perspective perhaps yes.

Regardless, there's now a record of that mistake so young anglers realize not everyone is perfect, and it's okay to make mistakes.

SNAPFisher
07-16-2021, 11:00 PM
I understand the sportsmanship side of things, and can see how it may be taken advantage of, legal or not, and to be honest if a situation like that were to occur I may think otherwise than going straight to bonk-city to appease my belly.

It won't prevent me from posting again... And I do expect the flak but here's the thing... Many people use the magic of editing to make fishing seem like everyone is perfect and no one ever makes a mistake.

Maybe this was a mistake, from a legality perspective perhaps no but from a sportsmanship perspective perhaps yes.

Regardless, there's now a record of that mistake so young anglers realize not everyone is perfect, and it's okay to make mistakes.

Cool. I kind of figured. Some of the posts on this thread are a little over-reaching.

I look forwards to the next video or pics. We all make mistakes for sure. I've had my share. :)

GStyler
07-19-2021, 04:30 PM
No wonder we hardly see any fishing or hunting pictures/videos on this forum anymore. Too many idiots out there that can’t wait to show everyone how “smart” they are on the regulations and how much “better” they are for only practicing catch and release. Very sad the one complaining doesn’t spend more time fishing/hunting rather than being a keyboard warrior.

So based on your interpretation, whether you foul hook a fish intentionally or not is irrelevant. So I'd watch it, sonny. Because the warden may just give you a ticket the next time you reel in a foul-hooked fish, because, as you said, "yOu MuSt HaVe BeEn MaNiPuLaTiNg YoUr LiNe In A mAnNeR...."

Go back to your cave and let the fishermen enjoy their fishing.

The one complaining was actually out of cell service spending time in the outdoors for the last couple days. I'm not trying to be Elitist, I am just trying to follow the regulations and make sure others are aware of the regulations as well. Never have I given anyone flak for keeping a legally caught fish. But, sure I'll accept the moniker of keyboard warrior and enter my cave for a minute...

In BC: "Snag (foul hook) fish (see definition, page 80). Any fish wilfully or accidentally snagged must be released immediately."
In NB: "Foul-hooked fish are those fish hooked accidentally in any part of the body except the mouth, which must be released unharmed immediately."
In NS: no one is allowed to "keep any sportfish if it is hooked in any part of the body other than the mouth. The fish shall immediately be returned alive to the water from which it was taken."
In ON: it is illegal to "Catch or retain a fish by impaling or snagging it with a hook through any part of the body other than the mouth. Fish hooked in this way must be released immediately."
in YK: "Snagging is catching or attempting to catch a fish with a hook in any manner other than by inducing it to take the hook in its mouth. It’s against the law to snag fish, with one exception (see “Snagging cisco for bait” on page 11). Release accidentally snagged fish in the least harmful manner."

So, Fallen1817 - yes, you had better watch it sonny if you go to those provinces, and keep a foul hooked fish.

In the National Parks, AB, and other provinces, the wording is not as clearly written as to whether it is legal to keep an "unintentionally" foul hooked fish or not. In all provinces (and the national parks), "snagging" - is clearly not allowed. But "intention" is either not mentioned in the wording, or it's not clearly stated if its allowable to keep an "unintentionally snagged/foul hooked" fish, so its up to interpretation. Note: I only went and read other provinces on line or .pdf fishing regulations "sysnopsis", and not from their official government printed regulations. ...this keyboard warrior doesn't have that much time on his hands.

I was pretty sure of my interpretation of the National Parks Regulations that keeping a foul hooked fish is illegal. But, the amount of people piling on to me for calling out the OP surprised me actually, and made me second guess my interpretation. So, I contacted a Warden for an answer. If I am wrong, I will be the first to admit it. As soon as I hear back from the Warden, I will let you guys know.

I also see a survey was started. Right now the No's are winning. But some of the responses indicate that some of those people didn't understand the question being asked. Some think the question was "if a fish was foul hooked, and injured should it be allowed to keep it, where otherwise it wouldn't be (for the sake of not wasting the fish)?". So I think the survey results in this case may not be accurate.

Scott N
07-19-2021, 04:46 PM
Good points GStyler. As I mentioned before, it's not as black and white as some are assuming.

burbotman
07-19-2021, 06:30 PM
I understand the sportsmanship side of things, and can see how it may be taken advantage of, legal or not, and to be honest if a situation like that were to occur I may think otherwise than going straight to bonk-city to appease my belly.

Respect! You handled this with class