PDA

View Full Version : Welded smoker craft boats

wildalberta
07-18-2021, 10:17 AM
Im intrigued by the phantom and pro sportsman series of boats by snoker craft. Love the welded all aluminum consoles and transoms. Any input or insight on these boats or newer smoker crafts quality in general? Seems like they will be quite hard to find if i move forward with one.

TROLLER
07-18-2021, 10:21 AM
My fishn bud has the 17 Smoker and it is a very nice boat indeed.

His has the 115 Merc which seems plenty of power for that size of boat. Rides great and handles the big wind we get is so Ab. nicely.

You should be ok

wildalberta
07-18-2021, 10:33 AM
I had a tracker v18 targa. Boat handled things well, but what a headache with boat/trailer and merc verado issues in only 1 season. I loved the size of the targa but its a heavy pig. Id like to simplify a bit more but keep the size and get better quality. Im wanting suzuki or yamaha for a motor, will likely go brand new and want a fully welded aluminum boat.

lmtada
07-18-2021, 11:52 AM
Had a Hewescraft welded boat. Rugged boat. Sat little low in drivers seat, they are rough In water (as are all aluminum boats), Was Good boat. I did Miss the fishing front end like Lund, alumacraft. Thinking heavier glass boat, with outboard.

Drewski Canuck
07-18-2021, 12:37 PM
At one time sylvan /smokercraft where the same company.

This still is a riveted hull. That being said, my 1992 Sylvan 17.5 ft is still going strong.

Hull bottom plate is now .125, which is a bit better. .160 to .200 is what I would prefer.

Otherwise, you really want to know if the transom is composite or just plywood. You also want to know if the floor is starboard or just plain plywood.

with carpet on top to hold the water and moisture, plywood floors rot. I completely rebuilt mine from the inside of the hull up because of rotting plywood issues.

Drewski

wildalberta
07-18-2021, 02:17 PM
At one time sylvan /smokercraft where the same company.

This still is a riveted hull. That being said, my 1992 Sylvan 17.5 ft is still going strong.

Hull bottom plate is now .125, which is a bit better. .160 to .200 is what I would prefer.

Otherwise, you really want to know if the transom is composite or just plywood. You also want to know if the floor is starboard or just plain plywood.

with carpet on top to hold the water and moisture, plywood floors rot. I completely rebuilt mine from the inside of the hull up because of rotting plywood issues.

Drewski

Check out the specs on the phantom and pro sportsman. Thicker material, no flooring cover just coated, fully welded aluminum construction.

curtz
07-18-2021, 04:21 PM
I know it's not same boat your looking at but I've had my pro angler for 9 years now and it's been a great boat. I wouldn't think twice about buying another smokercraft.

Drewski Canuck
07-18-2021, 05:17 PM
Found the welded info in the video for the 202 phantom. Nice boat, but the specs say .160 and the video says .190?

It would really help if they identified "how" they are welding the plate and what grade of aluminium it is. It makes a huge difference in finish and longevity.

Alot of product inquiry posts turn out to be stealth marketing. Usually a low post count from the inquirer identifies that its an informercial endorsement flogging a product, not a trusted member.

However, this boat needs to compete on PRICE as the west coast welded aluminum boat market is very mature, with some top quality boat builders. Hewsecraft, Kingfisher, North West, Thunderjet, Spartan, Silverstreak, all come to mind.

Funny part about these test boats is no livewell? Just a fish box? On the 202 without the pod, there really is no where to put a livewell??? That is not going to sell well inland.

Look at what the existing builders do on their hulls to address this problem.

Also, no reboarding ladder? That is necessary in Canada with the high freeboard.

If you want some pointers on how to build a better boat, PM me. I toured the Kingfisher plant in Vernon in 2015 and explained why their transom was not safe in following seas. I even drew out for the VP what I was looking for. They kind of built it.

Drewski

EZM
07-18-2021, 08:10 PM
There are many "premium" all welded boats out there - but they come at a premium price ....

Staying in the similar price range - If you are truly looking for a 18'-20' rugged all welded outboard, look at Custom Weld - there is a model called the Bush that has an outboard bracket, available with Honda or Yamaha outboards and I was very impressed with the quality of the material, the welds, etc....

Having said that - they are ugly. Functional, solid as a brick, well designed, but ugly.

wildalberta
07-18-2021, 08:34 PM
There are many "premium" all welded boats out there - but they come at a premium price ....

Staying in the similar price range - If you are truly looking for a 18'-20' rugged all welded outboard, look at Custom Weld - there is a model called the Bush that has an outboard bracket, available with Honda or Yamaha outboards and I was very impressed with the quality of the material, the welds, etc....

Having said that - they are ugly. Functional, solid as a brick, well designed, but ugly.

These welded boats, although have less bling, are far cheaper than the big lunds and the like.

wildalberta
07-20-2021, 06:03 AM
Found the welded info in the video for the 202 phantom. Nice boat, but the specs say .160 and the video says .190?

It would really help if they identified "how" they are welding the plate and what grade of aluminium it is. It makes a huge difference in finish and longevity.

Alot of product inquiry posts turn out to be stealth marketing. Usually a low post count from the inquirer identifies that its an informercial endorsement flogging a product, not a trusted member.

However, this boat needs to compete on PRICE as the west coast welded aluminum boat market is very mature, with some top quality boat builders. Hewsecraft, Kingfisher, North West, Thunderjet, Spartan, Silverstreak, all come to mind.

Funny part about these test boats is no livewell? Just a fish box? On the 202 without the pod, there really is no where to put a livewell??? That is not going to sell well inland.

Look at what the existing builders do on their hulls to address this problem.

Also, no reboarding ladder? That is necessary in Canada with the high freeboard.

If you want some pointers on how to build a better boat, PM me. I toured the Kingfisher plant in Vernon in 2015 and explained why their transom was not safe in following seas. I even drew out for the VP what I was looking for. They kind of built it.

Drewski

Pm sent fella