PDA

View Full Version : The Big of Big in Canada Fresh Water

barbless
07-24-2021, 10:21 AM
Ok I'll start with 3. Sturgeon (dino) Musky, (top of the food chain predator), Northern Pike (next in line predator and maybe size). Or you can add for the fight for their size.

SamSteele
07-24-2021, 02:23 PM
I’d put lake trout over pike for size and fight.

If you include salt the list changes significantly.

SouthWestRanger
07-24-2021, 04:08 PM
I’ll put Lakers over pike as well, they can get monstrous in some lakes

tool
07-24-2021, 04:20 PM
I’d agree. I’d say most trout species, even rainbows fight ferociously relative to their size when compared to Pike.

Ever been Bass fishing? Those things fight like crazy for their size.

The few saltwater species I have ever caught were pretty benign. Still fun though.

OL_JR
07-24-2021, 09:19 PM
Would echo that lakers are probably best for the size and that would be shortly followed by other trout species. A good rainbow can put up a good tussle if the water isn't to cold or to warm. Browns I find can put up a really good fight but it depends on the water body. For instance I find the bigger ones on a smaller creek to be pretty sluggish once they get up in size but give them some room and current to work with and it gets a lot more fun.

Pike have to get pretty big to make a good battle of it but once they get in that 40inch plus range they can take some pretty unstoppable runs unless you are using some serious heavy gear, but they have to get up in size to make an account of themselves. Fight for size pike are pretty low on the list imho.

Red Bullets
07-24-2021, 09:47 PM
The big redhorse in heavy current, caught on light gear, are a good challenge. On light tackle even a 4 lb. rocky mountain whitefish in strong current is a good fight too.

thumper
07-24-2021, 11:31 PM
Big, Fraser River sturgeon. They evolved around 200 million years ago - alongside the dinosaurs. Battling one involves time travel to a period well before any human walked on this planet.

Crankbait
07-24-2021, 11:54 PM
Big, Fraser River sturgeon. They evolved around 200 million years ago - alongside the dinosaurs. Battling one involves time travel to a period well before any human walked on this planet.

A good guide helps too

PerchBuster
07-25-2021, 07:47 AM
Yes nothing bigger than those sturgeon that’s for sure and here’s 3 more that get really big and fight like hell in freshwater, mainly back east, that maybe are a little less thought of here in Western Canada but grow huge just the same a) Chinook Salmon Tyee size in the Great Lakes b) Channel Cats over 20+ lbs c) Carp over 20+ lbs with big ol scales on them like an inch in diameter.

barbless
07-25-2021, 08:26 AM
Yes the Lake Trout can be a good size and definitely put up a great fight. Channel cats for sure do get to be a good size (Lockport, Man.) The great lakes salmon will give you a good run for your money. Even small mouth Bass put up a good fight for their size. Hell even a good size Sun fish running sideways can be a challenge with real light gear LOL

CardiacCowboy
07-25-2021, 08:57 AM
I find a big difference in type of fight. Trout react as soon as they are hooked and will fight until they are spent. Pike often will not react at all when hooked but when they decide to make a run not much you can do.

fish99
07-25-2021, 09:09 AM
lake white fish that get well over 5 lbs fight great way better then pike or trout

JohnB
07-25-2021, 09:58 AM
lake white fish that get well over 5 lbs fight great way better then pike or trout

They sure do.