PDA

View Full Version : Moab Lake in Jasper

myhippocket
08-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi all,
I am going to Jasper next week with my 5 year old nephew. I am planning to try out Beaver Lake. I was also told that Moab Lake might be a good option. Anyone have any experience with this lake? Is it a good lake for a 5 yr old to catch a few fish in? Can you fish it from shore?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hip

IanL
08-28-2009, 09:16 PM
I was at Moab earlier this week for an hour or two - had a few bites, caught a 12 inch rainbow.

I would suggest you rent a boat from one of the sports shops in Jasper - they are padlocked to the jetty at Moab - as it was difficult to get access to the lake. I was fly fishing and lost a whole bunch of flies against the trees and bushes. Spinning may also work

Good luck!

lambski
08-28-2009, 11:07 PM
I fished it a few times. We took a motor, batteries the whole nine yards. Loaded everything in a wheel barrow to make it a little easier. I wont be going back any time soon.:evilgrin:

Wulfespirit
08-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi all,
I am going to Jasper next week with my 5 year old nephew. I am planning to try out Beaver Lake. I was also told that Moab Lake might be a good option. Anyone have any experience with this lake? Is it a good lake for a 5 yr old to catch a few fish in? Can you fish it from shore?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hip

There's a fair amount of fish present there but size-wise they're pretty tiny (with the odd exception). If you're not going to do the boat, you can catch a few from shore with the smallest mepps you can find.

Everytime I've been to that lake there's been several piles of bear crap around - wouldn't hurt to make some noise on the hike in and out. :cool:

fishman
08-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Beaver lake is a little to far walk for a five year old better of to go to moab, read the regs as one part of the lake u can't fish within 100 yards of the creek flowing out if i remeber right....somebody can't verify that here for u or the regs will tell u.......i would rent a boat if i were u, not a big lake easy to find the fish in a boat

Wazzy
08-29-2009, 08:58 AM
I was at both Moab and Beaver a couple weeks ago and It was the slowest fishing I can ever remember. I fish both lakes frequently with my float tube but only managed a couple little guys outta Moab. I have caught them, in the past up to 17 or 18 inches so I disagree about the comments relating to "only little guys." There are also nice lakers in mOab although I have yet to catch one...I always target the rainbows. Beaver is usually a fun lake packed with brookies as well however the water conditions were extremely low when I was there, and thus didn't even bother fishing it. Like others have said, I would consider renting a boat if you fish Moab as it will certainly increase your chances. Other good bets if you are simply looking to get into fish are the Snaring River under the HWY 16 bridge (usually the rockies are stacking up this time of year, even the odd bull), as well as Talbot Lake from shore. The smaller pike near the weeds can be quite voracious which would be fun for the little ones! Good Luck.

Wazzy

myhippocket
08-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info everyone.

I am not too concerned about the size of fish - just the number. This will be my nephews first fishing experience so I want him to have a good time so he wants to go again. For him this likely means catching at least a few small fish. I will rent a boat for sure if I go to Beaver or Moab. I will probably try trolling a fly or, if he gets the hang of casting fast enough I will have him cast out a small mepps or panther martin and retrieve it. I may also try pyramid. I have a day to scout before he gets there so hopefully I will find some fish.

Big Bull
08-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Try Patricia Lake instead of Pyramid, fishing has been better there lately.

thumper
08-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Moab's tough from shore - you'll need to rent a boat. But you can row from one end to the other in 20 minutes, so a motor and battery isn't needed.
This time of year, try to be on the water in the early morning or later in the afternoon/evening - and if you're fly fishing, use dark coloured weighted nymphs (no lead in the park though).
The hike in is short - fine for 5 year old. I wheel my 12 ft kayak in there no problem.
Here's some shots at Moab from this spring...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/P1030445.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/P1030451.jpg

I'm not sure about the whitefish on the Snaring or Athabasca, but the ones on the Bow in Canmore haven't started schooling up much yet. Give them a couple more weeks before that fishery heats up.

Safety D
08-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Moabs been dead lately from what I hear....