PDA

View Full Version : PB Leaps 3x to its Escape!

Rikkles Fisher
08-05-2021, 07:52 PM
I have been flyfishing for these critters for alot of years and this is the biggest one I have seen!
https://youtu.be/lhDzD7Voo-g

trainerdave
08-06-2021, 08:35 PM
Yes they usually get away when they are that large, they are surprisingly powerful-like a bulldog in the current when they get over 3lbs. I caught and landed, weighed and entered one over 4 lbs. in the Bow river. I caught it in the spring which means it would have weighed much more in the fall when full of eggs. My fly was stuck right in the cartilage nose bulb at the front of the mouth-which they use for flipping rocks BTW. So unlike most of them that size it held. Likely most of the huge whitefish in the Bow river died when the flood hit, but they will return. Unfortunately for me it was the same year the AB record was broken so I won zip in the old fish and game weigh in that year. Imagine presenting a 4 lb. plus Rocky for the win and having someone say well, sorry, normally a trophy winner but not this year...not even close. I caught a few more close to that size, but always released them. Nice try...

Rikkles Fisher
08-07-2021, 10:51 AM
Yes they usually get away when they are that large, they are surprisingly powerful-like a bulldog in the current when they get over 3lbs. I caught and landed, weighed and entered one over 4 lbs. in the Bow river. I caught it in the spring which means it would have weighed much more in the fall when full of eggs. My fly was stuck right in the cartilage nose bulb at the front of the mouth-which they use for flipping rocks BTW. So unlike most of them that size it held. Likely most of the huge whitefish in the Bow river died when the flood hit, but they will return. Unfortunately for me it was the same year the AB record was broken so I won zip in the old fish and game weigh in that year. Imagine presenting a 4 lb. plus Rocky for the win and having someone say well, sorry, normally a trophy winner but not this year...not even close. I caught a few more close to that size, but always released them. Nice try...

Wow great story! Sounds like a brute. They really are a unique fish species that doesn't get enough credit.

Sooner
08-07-2021, 11:53 AM
Back in the day we would catch some tanks out of the Athabasca in late Sept. When those big ones use the current, it is fun fun. Nice video, we all have felt that defeat when they get off the hook.

Marty S
08-07-2021, 04:36 PM
Whats PB mean bob? 3 lbs, doesnt sound real big for anything. 30 lbs seems good tho. Any 30 lb PBs out there?

Mr Flyguy
08-07-2021, 08:24 PM
Whats PB mean bob? 3 lbs, doesnt sound real big for anything. 30 lbs seems good tho. Any 30 lb PBs out there?

Yeah, caught a 31lb goldeye in the NSR last year!

Marty S
08-07-2021, 11:15 PM
PB… Goldeye…

I dont see a connection, but some people do think im stoopid

Rikkles Fisher
08-10-2021, 11:06 PM
Back in the day we would catch some tanks out of the Athabasca in late Sept. When those big ones use the current, it is fun fun. Nice video, we all have felt that defeat when they get off the hook.

Thanks! You feel my pain then. I have never tried for whites there I may have to try!