PDA

View Full Version : Old Town Kayak

Stella
08-06-2021, 08:38 AM
Hello,
Is there anyone here that has a Sportman or Top Water fishing kayak? If so, i have a few questions to ask them about these great kayaks. You can PM me or just reply back. Thank you!

HuyFishin
08-06-2021, 10:06 AM
pm'd

58thecat
08-07-2021, 08:08 AM
Hmmmm inquiry minds won’t to know too:)

Always looking to upgrade etc but like to hear more about other models out there.

Smoky buck
08-07-2021, 08:41 AM
Those were on my list and they seemed nice but the more research I did on the different drives I went with a hobbie compass

I fish a lot of weedy areas and the hobbie drive can push through most weeds till it gets really thick

There are things you can do with the hobbie drive you just can’t with others for example propel yourself with one foot and run really shallow by fluttering the find tight to the hull. I find I use these tricks all the time out fishing. It is something I didn’t consider well choosing a kayak but now that I have it I love the extra abilities the hobbie drive gives you. I like to drift and cast working structure so these are big perks for me

Very comfortable drive to use both the wife and I have no issues fishing for 10hrs without breaks and my wife loves to troll

The drive is light and easy to handle even for my wife

Only downside is there is no instant reverse so you must pull the cable

Think about the areas you fish and how you fish before deciding on what you want to buy. For my fishing the hobbie has been awesome but if I was fishing deep lakes with less weeds and was more into anchored jigging or trolling I bet the Old town kayaks would have been a great fit too

Make sure you do your research and think about your fishing needs. For the wife and myself the hobbie has been a great fit. I use the features that only come with the hobbie drive so much I can see me ever switching to other brands

58thecat
08-07-2021, 09:07 AM
Those were on my list and they seemed nice but the more research I did on the different drives I went with a hobbie compass

I fish a lot of weedy areas and the hobbie drive can push through most weeds till it gets really thick

There are things you can do with the hobbie drive you just can’t with others for example propel yourself with one foot and run really shallow by fluttering the find tight to the hull. I find I use these tricks all the time out fishing. It is something I didn’t consider well choosing a kayak but now that I have it I love the extra abilities the hobbie drive gives you. I like to drift and cast working structure so these are big perks for me

Very comfortable drive to use both the wife and I have no issues fishing for 10hrs without breaks and my wife loves to troll

The drive is light and easy to handle even for my wife

Only downside is there is no instant reverse so you must pull the cable

Think about the areas you fish and how you fish before deciding on what you want to buy. For my fishing the hobbie has been awesome but if I was fishing deep lakes with less weeds and was more into anchored jigging or trolling I bet the Old town kayaks would have been a great fit too

Make sure you do your research and think about your fishing needs. For the wife and myself the hobbie has been a great fit. I use the features that only come with the hobbie drive so much I can see me ever switching to other brands

Thx for the input....I fish all types of lakes Cold Lake for lakers And other lakes in The area for perch, eyes and pike....I know there is no so called perfect one but that being said I need a 30-06 type yak...errr I mean my wife is interested:)

Smoky buck
08-07-2021, 09:26 AM
I put in a lot of research before buying partly do to availability issues and for my price range and size range I wanted my top 3 choices were

Hobbie compass

Jackson bite

Old town sportsman 120

When I took my fishing style, locations, and ease of use for my wife these were my top 3 choices in order