PDA

View Full Version : Rattle Baits (Lipless Crankbaits)

fishingnut
08-09-2021, 06:34 PM
Has anyone ever used these and had any success with them? If so, what color would you recommend. Thx!

Smoky buck
08-09-2021, 06:53 PM
Yup colors all depends on where and what species I am fish for

Drewski Canuck
08-09-2021, 07:15 PM
You mean the chrome with blue back pattern Rattle Trap sold by Tower Lodge that they use to catch huge Pike and Walleye at Dore Lake????

Nope, never heard of them (Get the biggest, salt water size if you know what's good for you).

Drewski

jungleboy
08-09-2021, 11:36 PM
I have more luck at Wabamun lake using these than anything else in the tackle box.

I have a perch pattern one that looks like it was dropped in the blender it has so many teeth marks in it.

dustinjoels
08-10-2021, 02:29 AM
Lipless rattling rapala RNR8 in chrome blue is my go to. I probably use this lure 80% of the time I’m fishing for pike and works well for walleye as well.

barbless
08-10-2021, 06:54 AM
You mean the chrome with blue back pattern Rattle Trap sold by Tower Lodge that they use to catch huge Pike and Walleye at Dore Lake????

Nope, never heard of them (Get the biggest, salt water size if you know what's good for you).

Drewski

:thinking-006:Have no idea what you talkin bout. Never seen em.:bad_boys_20: But have lost a few to some lively pike. One of my go to casters.:sHa_shakeshout: I still got a few left. For some reason they like that clicking sound. Guess it sounds like an injured bait fish. Rattle and Rap. The under water music:)

58thecat
08-10-2021, 07:14 AM

aulrich
08-10-2021, 08:48 AM
Love rattle baits, they are very useful

No5 for walleye bigger for pike.

Fire tiger, blue/silver or perch are good places to start.

Straight retrieve, rip and pause or vertical jigging are the normal presentations.

SamSteele
08-10-2021, 09:25 AM
The Rattlin Rap size 7 is my "go to" for midsummer pike, especially over shallower weed beds (6-10 FOW). I have had really good success with the Rippin Rap over rocks at sunrise or sunset in early spring for walleye. Picked up a few Rap-V blade baits recently as well but haven't tried them.

I find the orange crawdad and black/gold colors work best for me. The baby bass is also a good one, but the finish on them appears to be a foil and doesn't last as long as the others for some reason.

If I were to pack a small box of lures for a canoe trip, a few rattlin raps would be in the box for sure. They also work well for ice fishing.

mapleleafman3
08-10-2021, 02:04 PM
Rattlin Rap or the Rippin Rap work great. Yellow Perch in the Rippin Rap is the colour i used the most.

New2Elk
08-10-2021, 09:23 PM
I never really used them in Alberta much, just never really tried them out. Up here we now use a bunch of different sized rattlin Rapalas ice fishing for whitefish. The kids call them the fish call. I’ve caught a number of whitefish on the size 4 ones in different colors but mainly we use the larger ones to “call in” the whitefish. Whenever it gets a little slower, we drop one down in a size 7 and rip it through the water a number of times. We’ve had cameras set up to watch the effect and more often then not, the whitefish will come flying in to check it out. We usually catch them on a wire worm or other smaller hook in a second hole but the rattle does seem to bring them in.

curtis_rak
08-12-2021, 08:05 PM
The “(S Silver”) pattern lipless that 58thehat posted is my go-to…. Been very productive the past couple weeks In the wabamun/isle/ste Anne/la nonne lakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WayneChristie
08-12-2021, 09:39 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=402072

dodger
08-13-2021, 03:05 PM
Run away, run. away. Don't use them as they are dangerous to your health and family. Everyone please stop using them !!!

:)

Dodger.

Gbuss
08-19-2021, 06:53 AM
Rattle baits work year round. They are great. My personal favorite are the live target ones. I normally order them on the black friday deal in november. They are canadian made and look and perform awsome. Through the ice you can here it rattle in 25ft of water. So yeah they work and work extremely well year round.

Gbuss

tirebob
08-19-2021, 07:31 AM
174386The "S" Silver has slayed more big walleye for me than just about any other lure in my tackle box I think.

EZM
08-19-2021, 09:41 AM
These are not just for summer time use ........... I use these for ice fishing too ...... sometimes a little noise and some bottom pounding is the ticket to getting things moving.

fish99
08-19-2021, 10:02 AM
ice fishing for big pike at lake newell the rattle baits is the best way to draw in the big ones . hang on as they slam these baits.

RACKER
08-19-2021, 05:38 PM
I had great luck this year using one made by frostbite at Pigeon.Called the glow craw.When i was ice fishing and the walleye werent interested in a jig and minnow they would hammer that hook.