PDA

View Full Version : Calling Boat launch

highwood
08-10-2021, 07:08 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen......boat launches are for launching and trailering boats, not unpacking, taking off tie downs, putting on trolling motors, etc. If you are new to this, make sure you boat is absolutely ready to go into the water before you back into the launch. Although Calling can often be a poop storm due to volume, it has been especially annoying this year due to new boat owners. Launching and trailering a boat can certainly be challenging, however, there is no excuse for completely blocking a double launch for 20 minutes while you untarp and put coolers in your boat. Congrats on your investment, it's now time to learn how to use it.

Highwood

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

-JR-
08-10-2021, 05:33 PM
I think we need to start taking pictures of this stuff happening and post it . Just happening to Often.

I had a gentleman do this at cold lake ,launch his boat and tied it over the launch then went to go park his truck while a line up was waiting . Must have been bad Karma !
When he came back he realized he forgot to put the plug in .

mike.elmes
08-11-2021, 09:07 AM
I think there should be a sign posted that list Boat Launch etiquette....just for newbies.:sign0161:

nick0danger
08-11-2021, 09:32 AM
Oh man i was launching our Big Pontoon, father in law in the truck me in the boat at the helm ready to go. Buddy comes up and asks if he can bump ahead of us they only have an inflatable. Sorry dude we will be quick and ill try to stay to the side if you want to slip in the other side of the launch. Father in Law backs me in, and I am launched and gone in under a minute. Father in law parks the truck back at the lake house, then the fam gets there poop in a group I pick em up at our dock, and we go on our way, all the while they are STILL launching there boat (at least 15 mins). You should be less than 2 mins on the launch (unless poop happens) I really do not get people that do not prepare ahead of time.

elkhunter11
08-11-2021, 11:20 AM
Oh man i was launching our Big Pontoon, father in law in the truck me in the boat at the helm ready to go. Buddy comes up and asks if he can bump ahead of us they only have an inflatable. Sorry dude we will be quick and ill try to stay to the side if you want to slip in the other side of the launch. Father in Law backs me in, and I am launched and gone in under a minute. Father in law parks the truck back at the lake house, then the fam gets there poop in a group I pick em up at our dock, and we go on our way, all the while they are STILL launching there boat (at least 15 mins). You should be less than 2 mins on the launch (unless poop happens) I really do not get people that do not prepare ahead of time.

It seems that there is always that one person that pulls up to the ramp with the cover and all tiedowns still on the boat. Then they can't back up properly, then they have to take off the cover and tie downs, fold the cover up nicely, then they have to load their gear into the boat, after they discuss what to take,and then one guy has to explain to the other person where to park. Then the guy on the boat discovers that the trailer isn't far enough into the water to float the boat off. Then when they are done boating, the same confusion occurs, and they tie up the ramp for 15-20 minutes again.

pikergolf
08-11-2021, 02:49 PM
I think there should be a sign posted that list Boat Launch etiquette....just for newbies.:sign0161:

That is actually a good idea. Also have a time frame of how long it should take.

SamSteele
08-11-2021, 04:38 PM
I’ve certainly seen people holding things up at the launch and I have to admit that I get impatient as well. That said, we all need to remember that we want people to care about and enjoy the outdoors so more newbies is a good thing.

I like the idea of a “before you launch” checklist to help folks, but a kind word could also help.

lromanchuk
08-11-2021, 07:13 PM
Good ol Calling boat launch. This was a few weeks back witnessed with my own eye balls. :sEm_oops2:

lmtada
08-11-2021, 08:12 PM
This happened today in the States. Shooting for blocking boat ramp. Craziness.

A 36-year-old female suspect from Missouri was backing up a trailer to put her family’s boat in the water, blocking the couple from leaving the launch area. An argument ensued over the use of the boat launch.

The suspect pulled out a small caliber gun and shot the victim.

https://www.9and10news.com/2021/08/11/antrim-county-sheriffs-office-continues-torch-lake-shooting-investigation/

highwood
08-12-2021, 07:02 AM
Good ol Calling boat launch. This was a few weeks back witnessed with my own eye balls. :sEm_oops2:How did they manage this?

highwood
08-12-2021, 07:06 AM
I think there should be a sign posted that list Boat Launch etiquette....just for newbies.:sign0161:This is actually a great idea. I would gladly pay 5 or 10 bucks extra for my license to pay for installing these at busy launches

elkhunter11
08-12-2021, 07:49 AM
A sign with a checklist may actually help some people, as many people don't even consider that they are delaying other people. But it won't help the people that can't back up a trailer, or that simply don't care.

lromanchuk
08-12-2021, 05:59 PM
How did they manage this?

Who knows. Some serious communication break downs. Several breakdowns in the process if I'm being honest.

CptnBlues63
08-19-2021, 03:14 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen......boat launches are for launching and trailering boats, not unpacking, taking off tie downs, putting on trolling motors, etc. If you are new to this, make sure you boat is absolutely ready to go into the water before you back into the launch. Although Calling can often be a poop storm due to volume, it has been especially annoying this year due to new boat owners. Launching and trailering a boat can certainly be challenging, however, there is no excuse for completely blocking a double launch for 20 minutes while you untarp and put coolers in your boat. Congrats on your investment, it's now time to learn how to use it.

Highwood

I fish there a lot. I'm usually on the water by 05:15 and I'm coming off around 09:00 (ish) to avoid these people. Truth be told, if there's nobody running the launch, this is typical behavior and I've seen it on a lot of different lakes over the years. In some cases it's ignorance (that can be cured) but in others it's an entittled sense of self importance which is extremely frustrating. I can excuse you not knowing and will happily help.

One morning I pulled up at 05:00 and there were two trucks with boats (VERY unusual that anybody is there before me) in the launch area blocking both lauches. As usual, I stop in the prep area and get my boat ready (5 min's max). Soon as I was ready I drove up and asked politely if one of the two would move so I could launch (they were unpacking getting ready).

One guy got snarky and started mouthing off to me. I told him politely that you're supposed to prep where I did before pulling up to the launch in order to avoid just this situation. Dude started getting louder and more indignant and said, "We weren't expecting anybody else to be here at this time of day".
I told him, it doesn't matter the time of day always prep before moving to the launch. About that time a guy from the other vehicle offered to move with an embarassed look on his face. I launched, parked my truck/trailer and was out on the water for a good 20 min's before either of their boats got launched.

One of the funniest things I've seen at Calling was one morning coming off the lake there's a guy trying to back his boat into the water. His trailer is all over the place and his poor wife standing on the dock looked rather embarassed. Finally she walked up to the car and then the two swapped places. She had it in first try. I mentioned this to my bro back when it happened a couple years ago. I remember telling him, "Dude should let his wife do the backing up all the time" So this past June when my bro was up we're coming off the lake one morning and there they are! He's on the dock while she's backing the boat in. :D

Such a simple but (hopefully) useful idea. Maybe even with a little map depicting the launch area and detailing the boat prep lane so that there's no mistaking where you should stop to get your boat ready.

58thecat
08-19-2021, 04:00 PM
Seen a fella early spring all worked up launching well he backed up fast then stopped to get his boat off the trailer…then went forward fast to take another go at it…we’ll the dam boat ended up in the box of the truck as he had the tailgate down….I was in my kayak coming in and never even thought of a picture….his partner on the dock was bent over laughing….gong show!

Maybe I will start a YouTube show and just sit at a public dock with a GoPro….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MooseRiverTrapper
08-19-2021, 05:03 PM

Highwood

Couldn’t have said it any better. These idiots walk among us…