PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Sturgeon

Remi3006
08-15-2021, 09:04 AM
Hi all,

Planning a DIY to the Fraser mid September with some buddies. We plan to launch out of Mission (easier stretch to fish with a prop boat) but Chilliwack is an option as well. I have been up and down the River a handful of times but this will be the first year doing it myself!

Anyone fish a good hole on a guided trip they are willing to share? Yep, I’m looking for your “secret” spot, GPS location is even better haha!

Anyone else going for the Pink run this year?

Have a good day all, thanks in advance if you share.

Positrac
08-15-2021, 09:14 AM
I’d fish from the Mission bridge up a few kms. Lots of big dinosaurs holding in that stretch so no need to go any farther unless it’s just for a scenic trip. With a prop boat you are fairly safe in the lower reaches. Find a 40 foot deep pool and anchor up. It’s one of my favourite fisheries.

Remi3006
08-15-2021, 09:29 AM
Thanks Positrac!

Smoky buck
08-15-2021, 03:09 PM
I’d fish from the Mission bridge up a few kms. Lots of big dinosaurs holding in that stretch so no need to go any farther unless it’s just for a scenic trip. With a prop boat you are fairly safe in the lower reaches. Find a 40 foot deep pool and anchor up. It’s one of my favourite fisheries.

This is solid advice

I grew up fishing sturgeon in this stretch and so did my Dad. Just use your electronics to find the holes. The more active fish are often on the tail out but some days dropping it deep can be good. If you ave an imager you could also do what some of the less knowledgeable guides do and Cruze slow till you see fish. It doesn’t work well in rocky bottom but sand it’s clear as day

My biggest sturgeon came from within sight of the mission boat launch up stream of the bridge in a hole with lots of sunken logs people often avoid. On the mission side down stream from the bend( and another popular hole locals call Hatzic bend) there is a really deep hole with a rocky bottom that most guides don’t fish because the imager doesn’t work well. I have caught many 8ft plus fish out of this hole.

From the bridge to the bend on either side has a number of different holes. Sorry I can’t give GPS locations I just know where every hole is by markers on shore lol

Remi3006
08-15-2021, 10:10 PM
This is solid advice

I grew up fishing sturgeon in this stretch and so did my Dad. Just use your electronics to find the holes. The more active fish are often on the tail out but some days dropping it deep can be good. If you ave an imager you could also do what some of the less knowledgeable guides do and Cruze slow till you see fish. It doesn’t work well in rocky bottom but sand it’s clear as day

My biggest sturgeon came from within sight of the mission boat launch up stream of the bridge in a hole with lots of sunken logs people often avoid. On the mission side down stream from the bend( and another popular hole locals call Hatzic bend) there is a really deep hole with a rocky bottom that most guides don’t fish because the imager doesn’t work well. I have caught many 8ft plus fish out of this hole.

From the bridge to the bend on either side has a number of different holes. Sorry I can’t give GPS locations I just know where every hole is by markers on shore lol

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I do have electronics and side imaging... I’ll definitely be using it haha.

I have fished Hatzic bend, thanks for the spot though.

Smoky buck
08-16-2021, 02:17 AM
Thank you for taking the time to comment! I do have electronics and side imaging... I’ll definitely be using it haha.

I have fished Hatzic bend, thanks for the spot though.

Down river from the bend not hatzic bend it self there is a deeper hole on the mission side that I am talking about. There is decent holes all along that side between the two mills actually

58thecat
08-17-2021, 10:50 AM

Yup and dial in The down imaging....find the fish and plop half a salmon head in front of him....hang on:sHa_shakeshout:

Ohhh and keep fresh bait don’t be afraid to let it sit no longer then 30 minutes....sooner or later the chubby one will show up for a snack:)

mlee
08-17-2021, 11:02 AM
Another good diy area that's away from the crowd is where the harrison River meets the Fraser. You can launch into the harrison at Kilby and there are some good holes just up stream and just downstream where it meets the Fraser. Lots of squaw fish in the harrison right by the bridge for fresh bait.

58thecat
08-17-2021, 11:06 AM
Another good diy area that's away from the crowd is where the harrison River meets the Fraser. You can launch into the harrison at Kilby and there are some good holes just up stream and just downstream where it meets the Fraser. Lots of squaw fish in the harrison right by the bridge for fresh bait.

Yeah we tried the squaw fish and they wouldn’t touch it but the half salmon heads seem to be the ticket....I guess having a variety of bait is the way to go cuz ya never know what they want.

Good thread as I am taking note....maybe in a kayak:)

Smoky buck
08-17-2021, 04:03 PM
Yeah we tried the squaw fish and they wouldn’t touch it but the half salmon heads seem to be the ticket....I guess having a variety of bait is the way to go cuz ya never know what they want.

Good thread as I am taking note....maybe in a kayak:)

Squaw fish are good in June July not so good when salmon are in the river

Jayhad
08-17-2021, 05:27 PM
Another good diy area that's away from the crowd is where the harrison River meets the Fraser. You can launch into the harrison

I grew up in Abbotsford, guided the area and worked in a tackle shop for 12 years. I have many buddies that guide the area, if I was heading out with a guide friend to fish, we would be fishing the Harrison.

Remi3006
08-17-2021, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys, keep it coming! I’ve done a fair bit of guided trips, so I’m fairly comfortable with the process, bait, etc. Our biggest (8’4”) came off a pike minnow.

Hoping to find a few locations where we won’t have 10 boats around us.... boat control with a big one on will be new to me haha!.

I’ll keep these spots listed in mind! I’m definitely still open to any tips and advice anyone has, Thank you! Getting fired up for this trip! Sturgeon have definitely become an addiction for me over the last few years.

Kayak trip would be pretty crazy!

guru fisher
08-18-2021, 06:20 AM
Can anyone post if the pinks are in the river yet? Pink year it should be good the first few weeks when they show up.

Smoky buck
08-18-2021, 07:05 AM
Can anyone post if the pinks are in the river yet? Pink year it should be good the first few weeks when they show up.

On pink years they will be in the river throughout August but numbers don’t get better late August early September. They go down hill fast so expect to start sorting to find clean fish in September

If you are thinking about sturgeon fishing they can be tougher to catch when the river is full of pinks. They can bite lighter or even just lay on your bait because they are so stuffed

Jayhad did you work at Hubs by chance? Odds are we have crossed paths

Positrac
08-18-2021, 07:28 AM
It is a Pink year and they are heavy in the rivers all up and down Vancouver Island and have been for a few weeks now. I don’t have any up to date info on the Fraser but I’d have to think they would be in there by now too.

mlee
08-18-2021, 07:52 AM
Last time I was there (Harrison area) was the weekend before September long, it was a pink year and they were not up that far yet.

Smoky buck
08-18-2021, 08:41 AM
Last time I was there (Harrison area) was the weekend before September long, it was a pink year and they were not up that far yet.

They are there at that time just lower numbers

I have caught pinks in the fraser hope area mid August well fishing sockeye

Spent a ton of time fishing and hunting the Fraser when I lived there know it really well

Smoky buck
08-18-2021, 08:42 AM
It is a Pink year and they are heavy in the rivers all up and down Vancouver Island and have been for a few weeks now. I don’t have any up to date info on the Fraser but I’d have to think they would be in there by now too.

Squamish river and the island pink runs start 3weeks to a month earlier

guru fisher
08-19-2021, 11:21 AM
Pinks in up around harrison yet?

Smoky buck
08-19-2021, 11:34 AM
Pinks in up around harrison yet?

The fishing for pinks in the Harrison has always been slow till early September. After the first week is best but the farther into September you go the more dark fish you catch

There is always a few early ones for those who want to work for them though

guru fisher
08-19-2021, 01:32 PM
meant for sturgeon bait !!! LOL pink year i heard is a good time to easily catch them. i have a buddy who lives there and struggles to catch sturgeon

Smoky buck
08-19-2021, 02:00 PM
meant for sturgeon bait !!! LOL pink year i heard is a good time to easily catch them. i have a buddy who lives there and struggles to catch sturgeon

I actually find a pink years a bad thing because it creates an over abundance of feed.

Personally I would say sturgeon are easy to catch but I also grew up with a father who was tagging them before the days of pit tags so learned a thing or two about them from a young age. He actually showed some of the first guides on the river how to catch there first sturgeon. He also helped inch creek hatchery get their brood stock for their hatchery program. He was obsessed with sturgeon and even fished them on night shift working the log booms on the Fraser

It’s just a matter of using the right bait at the right time of year and dropping it in the right spot. Make sure your bait is on the bottom and not spinning in the current.

Heck I used to ride my bike down to the river as a kid and catch them off the shore or log booms even

If your buddy has issues catching them a pink year won’t help. He needs to adjust what he is doing because it’s not working

guru fisher
08-20-2021, 09:45 AM
Hes to one dimensional and doesn't like burning boat fuel !!!! LOL