PDA

View Full Version : Check this out, absolutely insane!

JohninAB
06-14-2007, 08:45 AM
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.fullscreen&videoid=1125465453

Rockymtnx
06-14-2007, 10:12 AM
What the heck! Very cool video.

Any idea where that is?
What type of fish they are?
Why the are jumping like crazy?

sheephunter
06-14-2007, 10:16 AM
They are jumping carp...likely on the Illinois River. No one is really sure why they jump but many boaters are injured each year by them.

albertaboy74
06-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Man I gotta give that a try, looks like fun. Although I think that I would stick with a recurve for it. It would kinda suck blowing the cable off a compound.

baitfisher83
06-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Man that's freakin cool, makes me wish i lived in illinois, now why can trout that big freak out about a motor???lol

Cam-hunter
06-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Thats crazy i saw a program on those things they kill any river/lake system they get into they are heading towards the Great lakes through the lock systems

Snap Shot
06-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Thats unreal.... I would just like to rip through the school when there jumping... let alone coast through and bow them... That would be good times..!

sheephunter
06-14-2007, 03:30 PM
It seems that they jump more when you go through schools under power at a fair speed...not sure if they'd jump just driting through them. Cool definitely but an unwanted invader from overseas that is having a very negative impact on native species....not to mention boaters...lol.

Red Sky Shane
06-15-2007, 09:19 PM
The asian carp are slowly destroying the Mississippi and all it's headwaters.

Go to youtube, and type 'Asian Carp' in the search window. Click on the videos titled 'Asian Carp Invasion I and II'. It takes 10-15 minutes, but it'll blow your mind.

Farmers used them to keep their fish farms clean and when the Mississipppi flooded its' banks the carp got into the rivers. Instead of being a vicious predator, it destroys the food chain by eating way too much out of the bottom.

Watch the vid where they turn on some current in the water, you won't believe how many fish there really are jumping then!!

As camhunter and the video says, the great lakes are in huge danger of being wrecked too. I saw another documentary that caught some asian folks releasing these monsters from backyard pools into a lake.

I did some research with my wifes uncle in Medicine Hat this spring about this junk. There are some carp being released into the aquaducts and waterways around the Brooks and Med Hat area to keep control of grasses and such according to him.

The scary thing for uncle Kenny and his buddies is that they are now catching Walleye in a lake that only used to have trout, and Lakers in a lake that never had fish before. The only commonality they could think of was the aquaduct that connected some of them to each other. Scary stuff. The carp may be a different kind though, I have no idea.

Anyone ever read the National Geographic a while ago about Australia's problems?? Starting like a hundred years ago somebody brought in a bug. Then, since it had no predators and got out of hand, they got a bird. (Forgive my facts being wrong, as it's been a bit since I read it...) The bird took over, so they got a rodent to eat the eggs. The rodent took over, so they got a snake, etc, etc. It is still so screwed up because nobody could manage the long term solution, just a quick band-aid.

Sorry to ramble.

Another good example is a country near Chile in S.A., that brought beavers in from Canada to give the locals a fur trade for the economy. The climate made their fur undesirable, they had no predators, and populations soared. Whole river valleys of rainforest have been destroyed. Entire areas have been so overpopulated with beavers that locals hoped that the areas' size would eventually limit expansion like a big fish in a small aquarium... It didn't. The beavers made it to a different part of the country across some real tough terrain. Then they thought that was it...nope. The last thing I saw about it had a bit about the beaver adapting an extra eyelid and swimming in seawater to get to other lands and islands thought untouchable.

Long reply. Sorry.

Anyways, watch the videos and see how horrible mother nature can be when played with...Shane.