PDA

View Full Version : Where's The TUNA???

Marty S
08-18-2021, 08:59 AM
Just curious!

Any tuna reports yet? With the heat wave, are they gonna be running closer to land than usual?

I'm off to Island end of the month, fantasizing about doing some tuna-ing, however, wife and daughter not up for it. Guide would do it, he sez "...if the stars align, the tuna there, and the weather decent..." Could potentially share the boat a day. Guide is the town killer!!!

SNAPFisher
08-18-2021, 07:23 PM
There were some at the docks in Tofino. I didn't ask anything though but obviously some are catching already. If it doesn't work out, you can always stop at French Creek in Parkville. Not the same as freshly caught but as close as possible.

https://www.frenchcreek.ca/

We picked up several loins on our way back to top of the freezer.

Marty S
08-21-2021, 12:37 AM
I still have a bunch of them lill’ albacore steaks from last year. Nope didn’t catch them, kinda mooched them in UQ, kinda, they was frozen whole, guts in. Got some Hoots to slice them up, I thaw, pull the loin chunks off and BBQ... YUM!!!

Was killing them repeatedly in my quest for Med rare, finally sought help, the “good” people here on the forum helped me along, now doing 20 seconds a side virtually all sides... YIKES!!!... YUM!!!

Gettin pretty pumped for my trip. Plan to try surf casting on the beach in addition to 2 days with Matt Oclen even tho “... ITS JUST A HOLIDAY NOT A FISHING TRIP...” I was shocked when my Lucky Craft plugs showed up from CA two days after ordering, especially when I only paid $25 shipping UPS from CA!

I’ll try to mooch a couple more when I’m there... me thinks. Might be a long time before I get to visit the island again.

SNAPFisher
08-21-2021, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I didn't get a chance to surf cast as I was too early. That should be fun.
I know I'll target the East side of the Island when I do try it. So many rivers there...

Good luck on the trip!

Marty S
08-22-2021, 10:52 PM
I’m gonna try surf casting for them lill surf perches. Should be entertaining. Anybody know anything about catching them lill beggers? I want to eat some.Are they better than eatin rockfish or not?

the local angler
08-23-2021, 04:34 PM
the tuna you are referring to is it just albacore or do you get any other species of tuna?

SNAPFisher
08-23-2021, 06:34 PM
the tuna you are referring to is it just albacore or do you get any other species of tuna?

BC regulations only allow for albacore harvest:
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/mplans/tuna-thon-ifmp-pgip-sm-eng.html

From the videos I've watching they say you could encounter other species of tuna. Probably low probability but I'm just guessing...never been, yet :)

calgarygringo
08-23-2021, 08:20 PM
I was out in Port Alberni for the weekend and saw many salmon coming in off the boats. I was at my buddies place and we went across the street for a few pops late Saturday night and had a fishing discussion and he said all they have seen themselves or talked to people with salmon, halibut and ling cod and they caught all 3 themselves. Showed me some nice pics too. Would have been nice to have spent some serious time there and get him to take me out for some.

fishpro
08-23-2021, 09:48 PM
Heading out to Tofino September 20-24 to target tuna on the fly, can't wait!! I'll be using other methods too, but the goal is to get a few on the fly.

Marty S
08-24-2021, 08:54 AM
They sure fine cuisine if you dont kill them when you cookin them!

Gboe8
08-28-2021, 09:16 PM
We were just out for two weeks in Haida gwaii they were bringing in tuna everyday is was calm enough to go. We didn’t take our boat out. But our two buddies went and caught a few on there boats. Looked like a blast on the videos they took.