PDA

View Full Version : Boat inspection in Leduc AB

smp747
08-26-2021, 10:19 AM
I live on Vancouver Island and work in Grande Prairie.

There is an older aluminum boat i found in Leduc that i'd like to have a marine survey done or at least an inspection done prior to committing to driving my truck to Alberta to pick it up.

Can anyone recommend someone in the area who could go do an inspection of the boat for me who would be knowledgeable about aluminum boats. Obviously I would be willing to pay for their time.

Thank you very much.

WM

Robins36
08-26-2021, 10:43 PM
I live in Leduc, know a little bit about boats. What specifically are you wanting someone to look at? Engine? Welds? Rivets? Transom?

Daryl

smp747
08-27-2021, 09:46 AM
The boat is an older aluminum guide boat from the coast.

Its been well used and the bottom has been had another layer of aluminum put on due to previous wear and tear.

I just want to make sure that its structurally sound and the retrofits are done well, and everything checks out.

Im not expecting a new boat by an means, i just want to end up with a beat up boat i can use and not a project i'm going to have to sink the value of the boat back into it to get it to float.

Lornce
08-28-2021, 07:40 AM
Its been well used and the bottom has been had another layer of aluminum put on due to previous wear and tear.

Run Forrest run.

Robins36
08-28-2021, 08:27 AM
I don’t claim to be an expert but if extra aluminum was “added” my first thought would be what did they hit and how big was the hole. I did structural maintenance on airplanes in my younger days and if the mating surfaces of the patch were not prepped correctly, you will have corrosion issues.

Daryl

Dean2
08-28-2021, 09:10 AM
Go find another boat to buy. You do NOT want this one.

TROLLER
08-28-2021, 01:16 PM
Run Forrest run.

X2 run and quikly

EZM
08-30-2021, 04:21 PM
I'd share the general consensus here - even if it's covered up well and looks OK - you STILL are not going to be able to see the stingers underneath and what they did to repair any possible damage.

I'd move on to another boat - this one sounds sketchy.