PDA

View Full Version : Fishing near Caroline

270hunter
08-27-2021, 09:20 PM
Hey ao, I’m heading out this weekend to do some fishing. We are meeting a family from innisvaill. I’ve drove past beaver lake by Caroline and it seems busy and heard it’s tough fishing. We will have paddle boards to cast from. With 7 kids I want to go somewhere where it’s quantity over size. The kids would you spinning gear but the adults could fly fish if need be. We have gear for trout, walleye, pike and perch so I’m open to suggestions. We need a place to picnic on the shore or in a park too. Was thinking about burnstick because of quantity of perch and smaller size pike. Where would you recommend me going for the weekend within an hour of innisvail?
Thanks!

OL_JR
08-28-2021, 02:30 AM
Around Caroline for what you describe burnstick is probably the best bet.

270hunter
08-28-2021, 08:09 AM
Around Caroline for what you describe burnstick is probably the best bet.

Ok thanks ol jr. is access best near the east side by the campground. Could we fish that little bay or do we have to go out to the big part of the lake. With paddle boards we don’t want to be in everyone’s wake. Just thinking of tossing spoons and maybe small spinners for the perch. Any other suggestions guys?

TROLLER
08-28-2021, 09:54 AM
Phyliss lake just west of Caroline. Nice trout and lot's of small perch.

270hunter
08-28-2021, 10:47 AM
Thanks I’ll take a look.

270hunter
08-28-2021, 01:06 PM
Any last minutes suggestions?

Jim Blake
08-28-2021, 02:12 PM
Strubel is usually a good bet.

thumper
08-28-2021, 02:41 PM
I'd do Phyllis. No gas motors, so more suitable for paddle boards and kids.

270hunter
08-28-2021, 04:09 PM
Thanks guys. I’m thinking Phyllis or strubel so we don’t have boats whizzing by us. Pickerel rigs and worms for kids and elk hair caddis on the fly rod for me?

OL_JR
08-28-2021, 06:41 PM
Ya shoot I should almost apologize, re reading those would be better options on paddle boards for sure. Burnstick is a fun lake for pike and perch and there are fish to be caught on the ends outside of the main lake but the boat traffic on weekends would be frustrating.

Haven't fished either Struble or Phyllis during summer in a long, long time but just about anything would work, regular old powerbait, worms, cheese, corn etc., just need to cycle through a few.
On a fly rod a simple woolly bugger dragged along should work if nothings rising. Tay river is just down the road from phyllis as well if there's time for the flyfishers to sneak away for a bit. Trout there are smaller as well but usually willing.