PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon lake update for Aug 29...damn wallies

icehunter
08-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Any one goin on fishin pigeon lake take heed..here is some helpful advice. Me and a buddy got there at 9;30 am and hit the spot off the provincial camp site. I tried everything to catch em but they didnt want anything we had. From 9:30 to 12 I only hooked 1 wally....I went from leeches to minnows to straight lead jigs to chartruase..I even tried a lindy rig and nothing.

So at noon in about 15 k winds with the waves cresting at 1.5 feet I went ultralight with 8 pound line,a simple j hook from a pickeral rig , slip bobber.and just enuff weight to get the leech to the bottom...within 2 minutes by bobber was gone and hooked a wally. Brought it in and threw it back in...2 minutes later another one so set my buddie up with a very simple bobber system set at about 1.5 feet off the bottom and we hooked 40 to 50 in 2 hours. It was back to back action till 3 or so when the waves were cresting at about 3 feet then it just died right off.

The under currents were actually bringing the bobbers right back to the boat in 3 foot waves but at least we hooked up on a bunch of eye's. So if you are lookin to catch some eye's in the next week or 2 this method might work out really good....They just dont seem to be biting on a simple jig method off the boat....Ultra light seems to be the way to go with them right now....

Edit to add...I wanted to get the boat in 15 feet of water and target them..we ended up in 16 to 16.5 feet of water but it seemed to work really good about 1.5 feet off the bottom....friggen wind its really hard to get exactly where you want to be...

-JR-
08-30-2009, 02:03 PM
We where out there also .But at a different spot. Fishing was fair as it took us most of the day to emty 4.5 trays of minnos.Lots of 50 cm walleye.
We did pull in a 5 inch walleye which is good to see that they are stlll producing
I think its time they cut back on the 50 and over walleye tags as we could not find anything bigger.
The provincial boat launch needs to get digged out ,as it was only2 inches deep along the concreat wall. or have the wall and launch extented out into the lake more like a merina !

burbotman14
08-30-2009, 11:18 PM
They do not have any 52cm and over tags for Pigeon. I think it is just B and C class but i may be mistaken.

hockeyfish
08-30-2009, 11:22 PM
They do not have any 52cm and over tags for Pigeon. I think it is just B and C class but i may be mistaken.

your not

muskie032
08-30-2009, 11:56 PM
I find this time of year you need to go to 25' of water to get wallies. If you were in 15' that might have been part of the problem.:cool:

sheephunter
08-31-2009, 12:00 AM
We caught a ton in 5.5 feet on Tuesday in Pigeon. Walleye are where the food is.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-31-2009, 12:28 AM
We caught a ton in 5.5 feet on Tuesday in Pigeon. Walleye are where the food is.

We fished between 4.5 to 8 feet we were on walleye 10 minutes after dropping anchor. Lots of walleye between 49 and 55 cm . Went out with 5 tubs of minnows came home with none. so thats 15 tubs of minnows between 3 of us. Fished my useual 12 hours. Got a nice tan .

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/015.jpg