PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake trout blood

Bob A
08-28-2021, 10:33 PM
Moved here last fall. Went ice fishing, no luck. Bought a boat this spring and was on the lake and had no luck until the last couple of weeks. Caught 15 and lost 6 two were legal but everything went back. Today I caught two and both seemed to be hooked in the lower jaw, middle of the tongue. They were bleeding quite badly. I was using a LT spoon with a single hook, barb pinched. There was a lot of blood. At this time I quit fishing. I have never fished lake trout before. Is this common? Will these fish survive? Can this be prevented? Thanks
Bob

HuyFishin
08-28-2021, 10:40 PM
some fish are heavy bleeders. I find lakers are bad for it. Immediately get them back in the water if they are bleeders. The cold water will help coagulate and clot the blood. survival is hit and miss depending on how long you fought it for and howmuch blood it lost most likely

58thecat
08-29-2021, 11:32 AM
Get them back in the water and revive them….I hold them by the tail and move them back and forth so they get water through the gills…you will feel it want to go and then one strong
Move of their tail and they are off..you didn’t gill hook them so I bet they are healthy to catch another day.
Read some threads on fishing the lake looking for structure, bait balls etc then hit those areas up and you will have a blast….good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob A
08-29-2021, 12:20 PM
I try to keep the fish in the net to release them. Both fish swam away and down immediately, so hopefully they will survive. They were trailing some blood. Just was not sure. I have fished quite a bit, but never lake trout, so I never experienced this before.