PDA

View Full Version : Help picking out a fish finder

Mr.goldeye
08-30-2009, 06:10 PM
I need help finding a good portable fish finder. So far I think the pirhana Max 150 is my best choice but i would like to have more options. I mostly would use it for vertical jigging (for perch) so I want one that can detect a fish 6 inches off the bottom. I am willing to spend 200 bucks. Can you guys help me out?

sheephunter
08-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Eagle Fish Easy245. Great unit for the money.

Goater
08-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I like to check prices here, its the U.S. but they ship USPS.
. http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Fish-Finders-s/1.htm

Rick.
08-30-2009, 08:21 PM
This may sound strange but I looked at the 150 this spring and decided on a 160. The 160 had something the 150 didn't but now I can't remember what it was. the 160 was for selling oddly enough for 160.00. Wish I could tell you what the difference was. Rick.

rustynailz
08-30-2009, 09:51 PM
I spent three weeks this spring fishing with the PirhanaMax 240 off the pontoon boat and was really unimpressed. Was trying to find trout in 20-30' of water and you'd often see really good sized fish swim by without picking them up on the finder. It worked very well for finding depth and structure, but it didn't mark fish very well at all. Tried several different settings (sensitivity, etc) but just didn't get what I expected.

Could be that I didn't have it set up right, to be fair.

jrcw
08-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Hard to go wrong with a Lowrance. That many tourney pros and guides can't be wrong. I've used several and have had nothing but good experiences.

Jayball
09-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Alot depends on the price point... my wife just bought me the Humminbird 343c for my 40th birthday. It cost her about $320 as it was on sale at fishinhole (now is the time to by 'em). She got the portable one with a battery,charger and nice carrying case. It really is an awesome little unit as I tried out many times this weekend at the lake.

I am sure the eagle and lowrance work well... but generally the higher you go in price the more options you have with color screens (which do make a difference IMO) and PTP power etc.

good luck...

Buckhead
09-02-2009, 05:32 AM
I can say that I am not the least bit impressed with Lowrance products.
The X52 that came with my new boat is JUNK. I recognise that this is a lower end unit - but it should work properly for more than a week.

I have always used Eagle and Humminbird products and I will be sticking with those - never had a problem.

javlin101
09-02-2009, 02:08 PM
I used the FishEasy 245 DS Portable Fishfinder on my 12ft boat & it worked very well. I now have which came with my used boat the Lowrance LMS-350A. It is a Fishfinder & GPS but an old model. Discontinued By Lowrance but non the less a great unit. Even found a guy who rebuilds them in the states so when mine was acting funky I replaced it with a rebuild which I have had for 3 years & 0 problems.