PDA

View Full Version : Algae Bloom

KegRiver
09-03-2021, 12:22 AM
In the past I didn't fish lakes very often, and then mostly for Pike, and early in the year, waiting for the rivers to open for the year.

Then a couple of winters ago I was introduced to a lake with an overpopulation of Perch. Illegally introduced Perch.

I have wanted to learn how to catch perch since I was in High School in Wetaskiwin so when I was asked if I wanted to tag along with a group heading to the lake for Perch I jumped at the chance.

After fishing it a few times the novelty wore off, the fish were small, mostly under 6 inches and it is a two hour drive from my place to the lake.

But then my daughter asked me to take the grand-kids fishing and I chose that lake for their first fishing trip with grandpa.

They had a blast, even the six year old caught and released over thirty small perch. Grandpa had the best day of the year.

So when a neighbor asked me to take her kids fishing I was eager to do so.
But past experiences has taught me to check before committing.

What I found was the worst news ever. The lake was green with Algae and the fish weren't biting.

I waited two weeks and today I went back to see if the fishing had improved.
It has not. The lake is still green and the fish are still not biting.

Now I don't know what to expect. With so little lake experience I have never encountered a algae bloom that interfered with fishing before.

So I'm hoping you guys can educate me a bit.

How long will the bloom last? Will the water clear as soon as the bloom is over? will the fishing improve as soon as the water clears? Will the fish be safe to eat?

I really want to take these kids fishing but I don't want to waste their time or get them sick.

Any input is appreciated.

pikergolf
09-03-2021, 05:22 AM
Algae will disappear after first hard frost.

KegRiver
09-03-2021, 08:15 AM
Algae will disappear after first hard frost.

Thanks.

That is better then I thought. I figured it might last till the lake froze over.

CptnBlues63
09-03-2021, 10:28 AM
In the past I didn't fish lakes very often, and then mostly for Pike, and early in the year, waiting for the rivers to open for the year.

Then a couple of winters ago I was introduced to a lake with an overpopulation of Perch. Illegally introduced Perch.

I have wanted to learn how to catch perch since I was in High School in Wetaskiwin so when I was asked if I wanted to tag along with a group heading to the lake for Perch I jumped at the chance.

After fishing it a few times the novelty wore off, the fish were small, mostly under 6 inches and it is a two hour drive from my place to the lake.

But then my daughter asked me to take the grand-kids fishing and I chose that lake for their first fishing trip with grandpa.

They had a blast, even the six year old caught and released over thirty small perch. Grandpa had the best day of the year.

So when a neighbor asked me to take her kids fishing I was eager to do so.
But past experiences has taught me to check before committing.

What I found was the worst news ever. The lake was green with Algae and the fish weren't biting.

I waited two weeks and today I went back to see if the fishing had improved.
It has not. The lake is still green and the fish are still not biting.

Now I don't know what to expect. With so little lake experience I have never encountered a algae bloom that interfered with fishing before.

So I'm hoping you guys can educate me a bit.

How long will the bloom last? Will the water clear as soon as the bloom is over? will the fishing improve as soon as the water clears? Will the fish be safe to eat?

I really want to take these kids fishing but I don't want to waste their time or get them sick.

Any input is appreciated.

This is prettty normal for a lot of lakes that get hit with that type of algae. Cooler temps (especially water temps) tend to make it go away until it blooms again the next year.

As for fish not biting I think that might less to do with the algae and more to do with time of year/water temps. I know the walleye tend to slow down and go deeper when it gets warmer. SO prime walleye fishing is usually June/July. In the past I've fished some lakes that get hit with that algae early in the season and that didn't seem to slow the walleye down.

I've never fished a whole lot for perch. Typically I grabbed what came along while I was after walleye (and was big enough to make cleaning it worth it) so I can't say if they behave the same as walleye.

Hopefully someone who does fish a lot for perch will repsond and can say better whether it's typical that they slow down later in the year or if it is indeed algae induced.

Sundancefisher
09-07-2021, 01:22 PM
Algae is usually in the first 7 feet.

You should be able to catch them at 12 feet or so normally.