PDA

View Full Version : Fireline very noisy

TimC
08-31-2009, 08:29 AM
got a line change from Power Pro to fireline (the original) for my baitcast reel last week and tried it out on Sat.

very noisy!!:confused:

it made such a noise on the guides and on the levelwind of the reel even my wife said to me : is it something wrong with your fishing rod?" :lol:

I don't remember my old Power Pro line was that noisy. Does it quiet down with use?

How about the new fireline braid?? or any other brand of braid that is easier on the guides and quiet?

thanks.

colour86
08-31-2009, 10:43 AM
i have the braid and never noticed it being noisy. its awesome stuff too. tough to cut and tie, but i have never had it break on me.

floppychicken
08-31-2009, 11:21 AM
Sounds like the line has a twist in it.... (could be from the Manufacturer..)
I would consider putting on a 'large' snap swivel and tossing it behind the boat until almost all of your line is out and then reel it in nice and steady... while hoping nothing 'grabs it'. :D

Others here may have a better method...

Cheers,

/FC...

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Did you spool it yourself ? I know I had the same problems , and In Fact the line was biting into the ceramic guides . So I went and bought a new rod that has all aluminum guides , not a sound to be heard . Also did you use a Monofilament backing when putting on the Braided line , that could also be your problem .

TimC
08-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Did you spool it yourself ? I know I had the same problems , and In Fact the line was biting into the ceramic guides . So I went and bought a new rod that has all aluminum guides , not a sound to be heard . Also did you use a Monofilament backing when putting on the Braided line , that could also be your problem .

Fishin hole spooled it on for me and yes there is some mono backing. i did buy a new rod (Shimano Cumara) to fit it onto.

Beazer
08-31-2009, 02:26 PM
I like the new fireline braid(the tracer stuff is rad).
Never had an issue with noise at all.

m88.358wn
08-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Go back to Power Pro. It's the best.

08-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Fishin hole spooled it on for me and yes there is some mono backing. i did buy a new rod (Shimano Cumara) to fit it onto.

Humm thats same Rod Im using for my bait caster with the fireline . Never a problem once I changed rods . Talk to the fishin hole , im 90 % certain they will re spool it for you .

TimC
08-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Humm thats same Rod Im using for my bait caster with the fireline . Never a problem once I changed rods . Talk to the fishin hole , im 90 % certain they will re spool it for you .

thanks BBJ :wave:, I did some reseach online and some say there is a break-in period for fireline, it will supposly get better once it is broken in.

it does feel a little too stiff and waxy right now, will try it a few more times to see if it does get better.

08-31-2009, 05:26 PM
thanks BBJ :wave:, I did some reseach online and some say there is a break-in period for fireline, it will supposly get better once it is broken in.

it does feel a little too stiff and waxy right now, will try it a few more times to see if it does get better.

Ok granted , but it just seems weird it would be doing soo , maybe you have delicate ears :lol::lol::lol: Im just kidding hopefully it all works out .

jrcw
08-31-2009, 11:34 PM
I have the FireLine Tracer Braid on one of my spinning reels and have noticed the noise too. I thought it was my reel at first but I've since heard several people report the noise issue. No complaints about the line's performance however.

LacLaBicheNS
09-01-2009, 09:02 AM
i've used fireline a few times. I've probably gone through 3 or 4 300 yrd spools.. and its ALWAYS noisy. I have used 15lbs and 20lbs test and the 20 is deffinitily worse...

TimC
09-01-2009, 09:19 AM
i was playing with the fireline again last night and i think i'm going to take it off the reel. :o

it just sound terrible!. i spend the money for rod and reel so i can have a ultra smooth fluid like combo. However, the fireline just ruined the whole setup i think.

anyone can recommend a braided line that is quiet? i'm doing so research on the Daiwa Samurai Braid and many said it's the best braid.

I might switch back to mono if nothing works at the end. ;)

allenford
09-01-2009, 09:42 AM
to my experience, for fireline, anything under 10 lbs is very nice, over 10 lbs I am using Powerpro.

TimC
09-01-2009, 09:54 AM
and what lb test are you guys using for a walleye rod setup??

thinking about stepping down to 12 lb braid (currently with 20 lb which could be my problem).

will 12 lb braid too small and dig into the spool?:confused:

Waxy
09-01-2009, 11:00 AM
I find this thread pretty baffling.

In my experience the original Fireline is WAYYYY quieter than any other superline, especially the braided stuff like PowerPro. In fact, the noise and abrasiveness of the PowerPro is what turned me completely off of it. Any superline or braided line will be noisier than mono, but it's worth the tradeoff IMHO.

The only thing I can think of is that I generally don't use any line bigger than 10lb test. I have tried the 14/6 Fireline in the past, and I didn't notice it being noisy.

I really don't think there's any need to go bigger than 10lb line in AB unless you're directly targeting big pike or some other large fish and casting large lures. For average AB fishing, as long as you have a decent rod and reel with a good drag system, 6-10lb Fireline is more than strong enough. All my trolling and bottom bouncing rods get the 10/4 Fireline (pretty much universally standard practice), the rest get either the 8/3 or 6/2 depending on what they're intended for.

At any rate, just my $0.02, but I doubt you'll find a quieter superline/braid.

Waxy

P.S. I think you're really going to like that new Cumara...

allenford
09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
I find this thread pretty baffling.

In my experience the original Fireline is WAYYYY quieter than any other superline, especially the braided stuff like PowerPro. In fact, the noise and abrasiveness of the PowerPro is what turned me completely off of it. Any superline or braided line will be noisier than mono, but it's worth the tradeoff IMHO.

The only thing I can think of is that I generally don't use any line bigger than 10lb test. I have tried the 14/6 Fireline in the past, and I didn't notice it being noisy.

I really don't think there's any need to go bigger than 10lb line in AB unless you're directly targeting big pike or some other large fish and casting large lures. For average AB fishing, as long as you have a decent rod and reel with a good drag system, 6-10lb Fireline is more than strong enough. All my trolling and bottom bouncing rods get the 10/4 Fireline (pretty much universally standard practice), the rest get either the 8/3 or 6/2 depending on what they're intended for.

At any rate, just my $0.02, but I doubt you'll find a quieter superline/braid.

Waxy

P.S. I think you're really going to like that new Cumara...

I couldnt agree more.

for walleye, 8 lbs fireline is plenty already.

pikester
09-01-2009, 07:11 PM
I will just throw my 2cents in as well. I ran into this exact same "problem" with my walleye rod/ fireline setup. I have one of those cheap $35 rod/ reel spincast combos from Canadain Tire & found that the last guide & the tiptop is too small in diameter & of the ceramic type that someone else mentioned which doesn't seem compatible with heavier fireline. I have 17# Fireline crystal on my heavy baitcast/ trolling rod & have had no issues what so ever with noise on that setup but that rig also has much bigger guides as well as being metal.

TimC
09-01-2009, 08:13 PM
ok, i put on some 20 lbs spiderwire stealth that was laying around (i only removed half the spool and fill it again with the new line)and it's is way better!, at least something i can live with.

and yes, it's definitely rubbing at the last gudie and the tip.

I've use fireline before and never had this problem either.

Maybe it's the fuji guide on the cumara rod.....but BBJ said he has the same rod with no problem.....

Well, at least problem solved for now. :wave: