PDA

View Full Version : "Birds' Nests" and Spinning Reels

DarkAisling
08-31-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm getting bad birds' nests in my spinning gear when reeling in. This is happening on my spool equipped with 6lb test (I have one of these spools with 8lb, and it doesn't seem to happen), and with my reel that is wound with 12lb test.

The 8lb is from a bulk spool of Spider Wire (I think). The 12lb test is "Bass Pro Shops XPS Fluorocarbon." (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_37510____SearchResults). I don't remember what my 6lb is. The quality of that should be somewhere between the other two.

I wound all of the line myself. I don't know if I made an error when I wound the line, or if something else could be going on. I've had to cut line out of the 6lb twice in one fishing trip, and I had to cut a LOT of the fluorocarbon line in one trip.

I could use some tips.:o

Rick.
08-31-2009, 09:18 AM
It's called line twist and the lighter the test the more it happens. If your on a boat, take your bait off and feed line behind the boat to the point where you notice there is no twist occurring. Then just troll for a few minutes with your line out there and the twist will come out. If your shore fishing I think you will have to continue to cut line when you get bad twist. You can help prevent it by using more and better swivels but some lures will twist it no matter what precautions you seem to take. Rick.

sheephunter
08-31-2009, 09:22 AM
It sounds like you are reeling against the drag as that's about the only way you can get significant twisting in your line with a spinning reel.

walker197
08-31-2009, 09:56 AM
i had this same problem, i fixed it by putting a piece of tape on the spool with about 30 yards of line out. that way i only loose a little bit of line when it twists all up...worked for me

DarkAisling
08-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks, guys. A little more research (thanks to your direction), lead me to a post on another forum (http://www.reel-time.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67420)that goes into quite a bit of detail about "wind knots" (what these birds' nests I'm getting are apparently called).

With the 6lb line, I got wind knots while reeling in a very small (1/32) jig on a 7' ultralight rod without a swivel (and with no fish on the jig).

With the 12lb line, I got the wind knot (a really bad one) reeling in a larger spoon without a swivel (and no fish on the spoon) on a 7' med/heavy rod. When I cut out the line I added a swivel, and I didn't have anymore wind knots. I didn't make that connection yesterday, but it all seems "fluorocarbon" clear this morning ;)

I always use a swivel on my 8lb.

I think I've got the knowledge to prevent this in the future. Thanks!

Beazer
08-31-2009, 02:34 PM
AIsling...good tip if your going to go for those perch is to stick a swivel a couple feet up your line, that way your swivel isn't in the fish' face.

Also, I tend to keep a very light touch on my line as I reel it in, almost like a last guide.

DarkAisling
08-31-2009, 02:39 PM
AIsling...good tip if your going to go for those perch is to stick a swivel a couple feet up your line, that way your swivel isn't in the fish' face.

Also, I tend to keep a very light touch on my line as I reel it in, almost like a last guide.

Beazer, that isn't a good tip . . . it's a GREAT tip. I wasn't sure what to do about perch fishing, as I know the jig should be tied directly to the line. You've provided the perfect solution. :)

baitfisher83
08-31-2009, 06:35 PM
helps to let go of the line when you cast it too...snicker....

Geezle
08-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Beazer, that isn't a good tip . . . it's a GREAT tip. I wasn't sure what to do about perch fishing, as I know the jig should be tied directly to the line. You've provided the perfect solution. :)

X2 I always like to have a swivel on my line...this makes it a little easier and less obtrusive for some situations :)

DarkAisling
08-31-2009, 06:41 PM
helps to let go of the line when you cast it too...snicker....

Wow. That one just really ****ed me off. Maybe people would be happier to fish with you if you didn't get ignorant.

baitfisher83
08-31-2009, 06:44 PM
i was kidding..sheesh

DarkAisling
08-31-2009, 06:49 PM
i was kidding..sheesh

A "snicker" isn't "kidding." A "snicker" shows disdain, pure and simple. Disdain is "a feeling of contempt for someone or something regarded as unworthy or inferior."

baitfisher83
08-31-2009, 06:50 PM
ummm ok, idnt think of it that way.......

DarkAisling
08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Sorry. I shouldn't have said that. It was a low blow on my part.

baitfisher83
08-31-2009, 07:47 PM
you dont know me very well, as most people on here don't i do joke around alot...some people take things way too seriously