PDA

View Full Version : Bow Mount Trollers

TROLLER
09-19-2021, 09:53 AM
Thinking of changing out my bow mount for the Motor Guide xi3 55 12 volt

Anyone have any experience with this model and if so how good is the anchor lok and the gps? And have you had any issues.

T hanks

EZM
09-19-2021, 10:19 AM
GPS technology on all new units is rock solid. I do not believe the GPS is any better or worse comparing MinnKota versus Motorguide and they both seem to track well and are fast and accurate.

Your spot lock anchor depends on this GPS data to hold it on spot AND it WORTHLESS if your motor can't hold you on the spot in wind or current.

I'm not sure what your boat is, but I'd always suggest getting MORE thrust, more battery power and reserve (24V versus 12V), and longer shaft length.

When it's windy and pitching you will appreciate the extra bucks you spent.

TROLLER
09-19-2021, 10:26 AM
Thanks. 55 thrust is plenty as I have down sized to 14.5 tiller. Has not been easy as I started with an 18 then a 16.5 and now a smaller tiller which I am still getting used to loading. lol Can't seem to find the end of the boat while driving onto the trailer. Used to sitting with the steering wheel closer to the bow.

I am using a 55 thrust now with the auto pilot but no spot lok. It works great but I am thinking I could really used the anchor lok. Getting to damn old to be messing with anchors even if they are only 15lbs. This Motor Guike xi3 seems to fit the bill but I am curious if anyone else has or is using one.

EZM
09-19-2021, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I agree, a 55lb would be plenty for a small tiller .... so it would be a good choice.

As far as that specific Motor, I can't offer anything other than Motor Guide is a good brand with a solid reputation ..... just like MinnKota.

Those would be the only two brands I'd consider.

TROLLER
09-19-2021, 03:04 PM
I have been told that I need a special plug for this motor. Because of GPS I wonder if any one else has heard of this. The plug is $200 which is a ton considering I have a few spares kicking around my garage.

So if I go ahead and just wire it up with a regular plug the question is will I then lose the navigation and anchor lok?

BTW was also told this plug is also now needed on the new Minn Kota's with I Pilot

Sea Hawk
09-26-2021, 11:25 AM
I upgraded the bowmount electric on my boat to a 24 volt 80 lb XI5. I did it to get the spotlock feature. Last summer when I was fishing and put it on spotlock it would work fine for a while and then the head would begin to rotate and windup the cables. Over the winter I contacted motorguide and they instructed me how to make some programming changes to improve performance. I also read online that my problem could have been caused by weak batteries in the remote control. This spring I reprogrammed the unit, changed the batteries in the remote and recalibrated the unit. This summer it worked flawlessly. It held my 16ft crestliner in one spot for 1 hour in whitecaps. The unit when I bought it plugged right into the existing power plug in my boat. The only expensive cable I am aware of is the "gateway" connector. This cord is used to connect your lowrance sounder to the motorguide unit to enable you to control the motor with the sounder. The cost of the cable is ridiculous. My only complaint is the foot control does not have all of the controls you find on the remote. Other than that I am very happy with the unit.

TROLLER
09-26-2021, 02:14 PM
Thanks I found out they were just thinking I was gonna hook up to my lowrance which I am happy where it is mounted. So I saved a few hundred.

Now all i gotta do is sell my Minn Kota

Freedom55
09-27-2021, 09:25 AM
I have Minn Kota which I prefer over my buddies' Motorguide for one reason. My remote has a screen that tell me speed and settings while the other brand keeps me guessing. Personally my only upgrade would be a Vantage hanging off the stern.

Free

fish99
09-27-2021, 09:53 AM
I upgraded the bowmount electric on my boat to a 24 volt 80 lb XI5. I did it to get the spotlock feature. Last summer when I was fishing and put it on spotlock it would work fine for a while and then the head would begin to rotate and windup the cables. Over the winter I contacted motorguide and they instructed me how to make some programming changes to improve performance. I also read online that my problem could have been caused by weak batteries in the remote control. This spring I reprogrammed the unit, changed the batteries in the remote and recalibrated the unit. This summer it worked flawlessly. It held my 16ft crestliner in one spot for 1 hour in whitecaps. The unit when I bought it plugged right into the existing power plug in my boat. The only expensive cable I am aware of is the "gateway" connector. This cord is used to connect your lowrance sounder to the motorguide unit to enable you to control the motor with the sounder. The cost of the cable is ridiculous. My only complaint is the foot control does not have all of the controls you find on the remote. Other than that I am very happy with the unit.

i have a minnkota with the auto stow and when going to stow it just keeps goes around until the cable is all rapped around the shaft .
anyone else have this issue .