PDA

View Full Version : Leeches

Lowrance Fishburn
09-20-2021, 02:29 PM
Does anyone have any leeches for sale? Preferably jumbos, the bigger the better. Headed on a trip and wanting to lindy rig but local retailers are out of stock. Will pay top $ for juicy leeches lol. Let me know - Thanks.

Freedom55
09-21-2021, 07:19 AM
Local dealers have been out of stock since leeches were the go-to bait, meaning that the fish-go-to. The fish are now going to minnows and there is a very real chance that, because of evaporated ponds across the nation, there will be an even greater shortage next spring when they are most needed. That said, I did purchase leeches in Nipawin about this time 2 years ago. Wasted my money but there was a tournament on and you can never have too much bait.

I favor glide baits and hair/marabou jigs (slip bobber or not) this time of year but long-lining is the way to go in the fall. Or night. Like tonight.

Free

Lowrance Fishburn
09-21-2021, 12:34 PM
Local dealers have been out of stock since leeches were the go-to bait, meaning that the fish-go-to. The fish are now going to minnows and there is a very real chance that, because of evaporated ponds across the nation, there will be an even greater shortage next spring when they are most needed. That said, I did purchase leeches in Nipawin about this time 2 years ago. Wasted my money but there was a tournament on and you can never have too much bait.

I favor glide baits and hair/marabou jigs (slip bobber or not) this time of year but long-lining is the way to go in the fall. Or night. Like tonight.

Free

I just want to see if I can get my hands on any jumbos as i prefer them for lindy rigging despite it being fall and a minnow bite. I've caught many big girls late fall on a leech. If anyone knows or wants to sell me some, plz let me know.

Freedom55
09-24-2021, 07:22 AM
You might try rigging a 'slow death' with a piece of night crawler with a Smiley blade half way up a 7' leader trolled at 0.5 mph or less.

Free

TROLLER
09-24-2021, 12:22 PM
X2 The slow death hook with a smiley and dew worm is killer especially on the big wallys'

I don't quite agree with speed, most luck for me has been 2oz. bouncer 3=4 ft leader and troll speed .8mph.

the slow death is a killer you should for sure give it a try. Blue smilies work best for me and the larger ones if you can find them

trigger7mm
09-24-2021, 03:08 PM
X2 The slow death hook with a smiley and dew worm is killer especially on the big wallys'

I don't quite agree with speed, most luck for me has been 2oz. bouncer 3=4 ft leader and troll speed .8mph.

the slow death is a killer you should for sure give it a try. Blue smilies work best for me and the larger ones if you can find them

How far is your smilie from your hook usually? Thanks for the tip.

TROLLER
09-25-2021, 10:21 AM
Behind the hook I usually go with 2 or 3 small white or silver beads then the smiley.

If you can find them the best slow death hooks are the ones with the swivel built in. Other wise just use the standard ones and tie on without any swivel.

trigger7mm
09-25-2021, 03:51 PM
What would your top three colours be?

TROLLER
09-26-2021, 08:15 AM
Blue is the one I almost only use in a smiley. Other wise I use a blade, small silver or green almost always works for me. I usually use a blade for all my bottom bouncing. Again blue blades are very effective as are the 5 of diamonds.

Freedom55
09-27-2021, 08:10 AM
Does anyone have any leeches for sale? Preferably jumbos, the bigger the better. Headed on a trip and wanting to lindy rig but local retailers are out of stock. Will pay top $ for juicy leeches lol. Let me know - Thanks.

As alluded to earlier, Twin Marine is currently advertising large or better leeches for sale.

EZM
09-27-2021, 09:53 AM
I have used black blade or prop on my slow drift (bouncing) with some success in the fall on overcast days. Stumbled across this by chance (experimentation) and have been trying it ever since and it seems to hit more often.