PDA

View Full Version : Fall walleyes on Lac la biche.

trigger7mm
09-27-2021, 02:52 PM
I heading up toLac la biche lake this weekend. Any tips for catching fall walleyes up there would certainly be appreciated. Thanks for the tips.

guru fisher
09-28-2021, 08:22 AM
It will be slow. slow presentations will get a few

Freedom55
09-29-2021, 08:16 AM
This time of year I prefer to ditch the finesse baits and long line with crank baits rigged for depth (slip weights, clip weights, dipsey divers and planer boards.) Look for bait balls and troll through with balsa wood Rapalas. Fewer maybe but bigger likely.

Sitting at the helm with a cigar and a cup of tea, relaxing in the sun. No stress, no pressure and no woman barking in my ear. :)

Free

JohnB
09-29-2021, 10:27 AM
Bottom bouncers and spinners with worm worked well on a lake I fished last weekend.

Chief27
09-29-2021, 11:35 AM
I heading up toLac la biche lake this weekend. Any tips for catching fall walleyes up there would certainly be appreciated. Thanks for the tips.

Hope the lake is as calm as it has been the last few days. Barely anyone on there and just like glass.

EZM
09-29-2021, 01:47 PM
It took me 20 years to figure out that you need to be prepared to switch up your tactics and presentations (and bait) any time of year to focus on what they are taking. Walleye can be the hardest fish to catch sometimes.

General rules like leeches early in year and minnows later in year don't always apply to all lakes .... same as dragging cranks in summer and slow walking bouncers when water is cooler is another one that isn't 100% true all the time.

I'd say go out an mark some fish, try a few different presentations from subtle, small and slow to fast and large and see what happens.

CptnBlues63
09-29-2021, 03:24 PM
This time of year I prefer to ditch the finesse baits and long line with crank baits rigged for depth (slip weights, clip weights, dipsey divers and planer boards.) Look for bait balls and troll through with balsa wood Rapalas. Fewer maybe but bigger likely.

Sitting at the helm with a cigar and a cup of tea, relaxing in the sun. No stress, no pressure and no woman barking in my ear. :)

Free

That's my favorite kind of fishing! I always bring a cigar with me when I'm fishing alone or with someone who doesn't mind if I puff on one.

If you ever get the urge, head up to Calling Lake in June/July. The walleye fishing there has been amazing the last 5+ years and we could meet up for a cigar....and maybe some fishing too! :)

trigger7mm
09-29-2021, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the tips. I plan to throw the book at them. Spinner rigs, slow death rigs, Lindy rigs, deep cranks, jigs, you name it. I love it when you have to really fish hard for them, but have the chance to catch a really big one. I’d trade one or two big ones for a bunch of smaller cookie cutters. Fished pigeon yesterday, but the wind was so bad that I haven’t had a boat ride like that in a long time. It was dangerous actually. Only fished about an hour and a half, but still managed a few despite trying hard to control the boat.

dustinjoels
09-29-2021, 09:58 PM
I was on the lake today just tossing lipless cranks for some pike. Algae on the water was still pretty nasty. Also water level was down a few feet since I was there in July.

It was glass calm. Only saw one other boat all day and no one else at the launch on old trail road.

Good luck. Try avoiding the white algae patches, they stink something fierce.

Willowtrail
09-29-2021, 11:00 PM
I'm heading out there as well this weekend. Hope to find where they're hiding.

Freedom55
09-30-2021, 06:01 AM
That's my favorite kind of fishing! I always bring a cigar with me when I'm fishing alone or with someone who doesn't mind if I puff on one.

If you ever get the urge, head up to Calling Lake in June/July. The walleye fishing there has been amazing the last 5+ years and we could meet up for a cigar....and maybe some fishing too! :)

Great idea. When I get up for that I'll give you a call.

pikeman06
09-30-2021, 09:47 AM
Troll crankbaits, cover lots of water, pick off the aggressors. They will be nice chunky fish for sure.

Buckhead
10-01-2021, 10:27 AM
In the fall I like to use bouncers with slow death and a crawler. Mark and pinpoint the fish and then slow troll at about 0.6 mph. I don’t catch a lot of fish this way but most will be good ones - 30 inches +.

Willowtrail
10-02-2021, 08:20 PM
Wife and I are finding them for sure. We got 8 yesterday in 3 hours and 26 landed today.

Mostly walleye, a few pike. My old faithful jig and a minnow off structure. Some on bottom and some suspended. The Lowrance ActiveTarget helped catch a ton of them. You see them come in to your lure and how they react and what you need to do differently or you see them suspended and reel up to them or cast 30’ out to them. So many caught all different ways but the ActiveTarget was the golden ticket for sure.

I’ll have some videos up later this week or next week on our adventures.

-JR-
10-03-2021, 06:01 AM
Looking forward to your video Scott as all ways .

trigger7mm
10-03-2021, 05:40 PM
Fished LLB last couple of days. Destroyed the prop on my motor going around Sir Winston Churchill point. Was about a hundred yards offshore, when suddenly the water was about a foot deep. Gravel bar. Beware to anyone going there! Limped the boat out the next evening, and caught a few beautiful walleye and a couple of pike. Like Willowtrail said, some fish on the bottom, and some suspended. I love catching the suspended ones. Cool to see them on the sonar, reel up to them, and wham, fish on. I think I met you Willowtrail, I was in the Mirrorcraft boat.

Willowtrail
10-03-2021, 06:30 PM
Fished LLB last couple of days. Destroyed the prop on my motor going around Sir Winston Churchill point. Was about a hundred yards offshore, when suddenly the water was about a foot deep. Gravel bar. Beware to anyone going there! Limped the boat out the next evening, and caught a few beautiful walleye and a couple of pike. Like Willowtrail said, some fish on the bottom, and some suspended. I love catching the suspended ones. Cool to see them on the sonar, reel up to them, and wham, fish on. I think I met you Willowtrail, I was in the Mirrorcraft boat.

That was me and my wife. Nice to meet you. Sucked that you were getting ripped off locally for a prop replacement. We ended up with 26 total fish Saturday, close to half pike and half walleye but sure was fun.

trigger7mm
10-03-2021, 08:56 PM
Yeah, Lac La Biche Sporting Goods wanted $100 more than Recreational Sporting Goods in Edmonton for a new prop, plus they didn’t seem to care less about trying to help me out by making things right and doing a quick inspection of the lower unit. Wasn’t impressed with their customer service, so I just left. My buddy who lives there didn’t have anything good to say about them either. Glad you guys had a great day.

guru fisher
10-04-2021, 03:07 PM
Any big northerns boys ?

trigger7mm
10-04-2021, 04:25 PM
Not for me, couple only a couple. One around 5 lbs, and one about 8 lbs. Had a couple more nip the jig off my line. Very healthy looking fish.

Willowtrail
10-04-2021, 04:49 PM
Fridays video is Live now

https://youtu.be/GuBBcYEhT8Q