PDA

View Full Version : baitfish collection

B.O.
06-16-2007, 07:51 AM
I am tired of buying freezer burnt tubs of minnows at $4-5.00 per tub. Thinking I will catch my own bait. I see there are two types of nets available. If anyone has any experience with either a minnow seine or a casting net, which would be better? Thanx for any advise

Cam-hunter
06-17-2007, 11:04 PM
I would also be very interested in a input from you guys and gals about how to get minnows as as well

thanks

-NDN-
06-17-2007, 11:06 PM
me too. it might be a great way to pass some time. Or at least get a little one out in the outdoors.

what is the best method? there is a boatload of Blacktail shiners in Devils lake. some so big we were catching them on tiny perch rigs through the ice last season.

Pigshanks
06-18-2007, 07:58 AM
I have used a seine net in the South Sask river, but it does take 2 people to use. I mainly use a minnow trap now, with frozen oatmeal balls as bait.

Cam-hunter
06-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Hey Pigshanks how do you make up the oatmeal balls?

Pigshanks
06-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Hey Pigshanks how do you make up the oatmeal balls?

I usually mix up a small bag at a time. Just dump oatmeal and a 1/2 cup of salt into a bowl and keep adding water a bit at a time until it all sticks together. I then make some golf ball sized balls and put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer until they harden up a bit, then toss them in a ziploc bag. Put a few in your trap and chuck it out. I will leave mine out a few hours befor pulling it in as the oatmeal will thaw out quickly and disperse in the trap.