PDA

View Full Version : Night fishing tips?

Jayball
09-02-2009, 09:24 AM
I am planning on taking the kids out for a bit of night fishing just off shore this weekend at pigeon, weather permitting. Any tips of walleye hunting at night? From your experience, do walleye feed based on sight or smell or both?

I am bringing glow sticks for rod tips... flashlights etc... minnows...

Thanks in advance,

Jay

nicemustang
09-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Pickeral rig and minnows?? Or if on a boat, glow jig head and minnow? That's all i've ever used with lots of success. Nothing special, walleye can see in the dark.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
09-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I absolutely night fishing so of course I have all the gear .

I have glow bobbers , Glow jig that you recharge with a UV light , Im not concerned about the rod , but we use lanterns and head lamps . Ive fished right threw the night a few times , went in for breakfast and fished all day . Yeah yeah yeah im an addict :lol::lol::lol::lol:

troutpirate
09-02-2009, 11:39 AM
I am planning on taking the kids out for a bit of night fishing just off shore this weekend at pigeon, weather permitting. Any tips of walleye hunting at night? From your experience, do walleye feed based on sight or smell or both?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

i only fish for trout but............................................... .................................................. ..................................... the lunar table dictates my success on that, totally and completly...............................

addicted
09-02-2009, 07:45 PM
don't fall in, in the dark :lol:

WayneChristie
09-02-2009, 07:57 PM

I have glow bobbers , Glow jig that you recharge with a UV light , Im not concerned about the rod , but we use lanterns and head lamps . Ive fished right threw the night a few times , went in for breakfast and fished all day . Yeah yeah yeah im an addict :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hi My name is Wayne, Im an addict too LOL like my fishing in the daylight tho, I like having 10 fingers and toes.

Fishin' Fool
09-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Last summer we ended up not leaving Pigeon till dark one evening. We docked at Mulhurst and while my bud went to get the truck and trailer, I held the boat at the launch. Being an addict, I couldn't stand by a fish-bearing water body without casting a time or two.

Well, holy crap! I was getting a walleye every cast! I must have nailed 6 or 8 in the few minutes it took for my bud to show up with the truck. I handed him the rod and he landed a couple before losing the jig on a snag.

This was casting from the actual launch, not a pier. I doubt we were reaching more than 3 or 4 feet of water, but the 'eyes were in close and were hungry.

If you are on the north end, you might want to give it a try.

Good luck,

FF

-JR-
09-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Did Pigeon lake 20 years ago just as the sun was going down in sept.
The temp.went down also.It got very cold.We had flash lights Took us a while just to find the west end. Everything looks the same at night
If I would do it again ....a gps in the boat and I would park my truck at the boat launch with the lights pointing at the dock with a 1 mile remote start system on it..Be sure your boat has the legal evening lights on.
PS
We did not catch any fish that evening as pigeon was also fished out back then .

bruce44
09-03-2009, 07:07 AM

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Is it legal to fish with a lamp, i thought you werent allowed to use lights. I never knew that i always go in the pitch black and use my cell as a light to stop f&w from spotting me.

DarkAisling
09-03-2009, 07:56 AM
You're aren't allowed to point a light into the water, but I think it is perfectly legal to use a light so you can see what's going on around you.

Geezle
09-03-2009, 08:09 AM

That actually sounds like something I'd enjoy doing :cool:

Jayball
09-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Last summer we ended up not leaving Pigeon till dark one evening. We docked at Mulhurst and while my bud went to get the truck and trailer, I held the boat at the launch. Being an addict, I couldn't stand by a fish-bearing water body without casting a time or two.

Well, holy crap! I was getting a walleye every cast! I must have nailed 6 or 8 in the few minutes it took for my bud to show up with the truck. I handed him the rod and he landed a couple before losing the jig on a snag.

This was casting from the actual launch, not a pier. I doubt we were reaching more than 3 or 4 feet of water, but the 'eyes were in close and were hungry.

If you are on the north end, you might want to give it a try.

Good luck,

FF

i too have had success there... right on that launch. my daughter caught her first fish. i was using a Pickeral rig.

Jayball
09-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Ok all thx a ton for your advice. I picked up some glow in the dark jigs... a couple bobbers with lights and some headlights for the kiddies.

Now I just need some calm weather. So if weather is good tonight or Saturday night ... we will head out around 8-8:30 on pigeon to the point off silver beach.

everyone welcome.

sdimedru
09-09-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm looking into buying one of those uber cool headlamps, looking for some suggestions.

I've been looking at the Energizer Hard Case Pro Headlamp, here are some specs...

100 lumens of light
4 light modes: 1 white LED (high & low), 2 red LEDs, 1 green LED
Survives 15’ drop test

I hear the red LED's are invaluable as a method of keeping bugs and insects away while tieing knots/unhooking fish...

Any other suggestions?

Beazer
09-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Buy Petzl...especially the Taktika.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
09-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I wrote and email to my Friend that works for Fish and wildlife and will answer the question of the myths about night fishing and to answer what is allowed and not allowed . Will follow up in the next day or two with this info . I'm kind of interested to know aswell . Nothing in the regulations or fishery's act .

Paul C
09-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I really enjoy fishing on full moon. I cast the bobber on the moon light on the water. Trout seem to be very active on full moon which is why fishing is slow during the day.
Happy Fishin:D

huntsfurfish
09-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Another tip
but relating to safety-please make sure you use your navigation lights.

Had a close call once with a dark boat when I was returning to the launch. Some guys were fishing and had no nav lights. Turned on a flashlight just before I got to them. Then had the nerve to say I shouldnt be running down the lake in the dark.:mad3: Told em well you could have died tonight and it could have easily been avoided had they had them on.

Oddly it is not real uncommon to see boaters without nav light especially at first"dark". I guess they figure they only have a short trip to the launch or whatever!

Have fun.

Geezle
09-09-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm looking into buying one of those uber cool headlamps, looking for some suggestions.

I've been looking at the Energizer Hard Case Pro Headlamp, here are some specs...

100 lumens of light
4 light modes: 1 white LED (high & low), 2 red LEDs, 1 green LED
Survives 15’ drop test

I hear the red LED's are invaluable as a method of keeping bugs and insects away while tieing knots/unhooking fish...

Any other suggestions?

I just have one that I picked up for a couple bucks at Princess Auto...I think it has 9 LED's and 3 different brightness settings. Use it all the time in the winter at work, and it's cheap enough that when I eventually break it (it's bound to happen at work) I don't have to feel bad about it.