PDA

View Full Version : Repacing downrigger cable with PowerPro??

Rick.
09-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Hello all. I was wondering if any of you have used powerpro in place of the steel downrigger cable that comes on Scotty's. My reason for doing it would be to reduce the amount of cable drag when fishing say below 80 feet. They say it will also get rid of that objectionable constant hum. Please let me know your experiences and or thoughts. Thanks, Rick.

addicted
09-02-2009, 07:48 PM
good idea try it out, let us know how it works it won't transfer any electrical currents either

jusfloatin
09-02-2009, 08:41 PM
I do not think it would take the abuse it would need to take if it was attached to a 10lb ball dragging on a rocky bottom.

Rick.
09-02-2009, 10:17 PM
I do not think it would take the abuse it would need to take if it was attached to a 10lb ball dragging on a rocky bottom.

That's true but I don't intend to drag my balls on a rocky bottom. (no pun intended) I've broken scotty s steel cables doing that and only by mistake. I was just looking a powerpro's website and I see they are now making downrigger cables now but I purchased 80# test tonight and haven't seen the downrigger cable anywhere in Calgary. I'm going to give it a try, the powerpro that is, not the rocky bottom. Rick.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
09-03-2009, 12:03 AM
That's true but I don't intend to drag my balls on a rocky bottom. (no pun intended) I've broken scotty s steel cables doing that and only by mistake. I was just looking a powerpro's website and I see they are now making downrigger cables now but I purchased 80# test tonight and haven't seen the downrigger cable anywhere in Calgary. I'm going to give it a try, the powerpro that is, not the rocky bottom. Rick.

I hope its not the Red stuff , I bought 80 lb Power pro from Cabala's Winnipeg last year got my reel spooled , and I know I haven't caught any 80 Plus pound fish with my 10 ft musky rod , using it for Sturgeon fishing . And Ive had it snap 2 or 3 times . And its not snapping at the knot either . So Ive been in contact with Power pro and they did give me a new spool of line which was very impressive to which they stand behind there product .

Rick.
09-03-2009, 05:10 AM
I hope its not the Red stuff , I bought 80 lb Power pro from Cabala's Winnipeg last year got my reel spooled , and I know I haven't caught any 80 Plus pound fish with my 10 ft musky rod , using it for Sturgeon fishing . And Ive had it snap 2 or 3 times . And its not snapping at the knot either . So Ive been in contact with Power pro and they did give me a new spool of line which was very impressive to which they stand behind there product .

No I got the green color. Strange they sent you some new line. I bought a 150yd. spool of 40 lb. and when I put it on my line counter reel I discovered the spool only had 45 feet of line. I could not remember where I bought it so I sent PowerPro an email about it and never heard a word back from them. I guess they must have thought I was making up a story to get some free line. Not the case. I have been using it for some time as a leader on my floating pike flies and never had it break or cut yet. It is good stuff. Rick.

WayneChristie
09-03-2009, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=BIGBADJOHN;381835]I bought 80 lb Power pro from Cabala's Winnipeg last year got my reel spooled , and I know I haven't caught any 80 Plus pound fish with my 10 ft musky rod , using it for Sturgeon fishing .

with that rig you should be fishing for jetboats!!!! :lol:

surhuntsalot
09-03-2009, 08:59 AM
I have the 150lb. Power Pro downrigger line on both my cannons. It works great, and NO electrostatic hum that you get with the steel line. There are black boxes that you can use to manipulate the currant in the wire cable so it doesn't repel fish. I took that out of the equasion completely with the Power Pro, and saw a noticable increase in the strikes I got. I Would recomend alot stronger # test than 40, just for the increased shock and abrasion resistance...

Cal
09-03-2009, 09:11 AM

I've been having those same issues with my spider wire. The line breaks like 20 feet back from the knot during mid cast while I'm casting it with my baitcasting rig. My theory is that if the line gets wrapped over itself at all it is so darn abrasive that it is capable of cutting itself. 25 lb line should not be breaking while casting a couple inch long crankbait.

09-03-2009, 12:00 PM
I've been having those same issues with my spider wire. The line breaks like 20 feet back from the knot during mid cast while I'm casting it with my baitcasting rig. My theory is that if the line gets wrapped over itself at all it is so darn abrasive that it is capable of cutting itself. 25 lb line should not be breaking while casting a couple inch long crankbait.

See thats what my thinking was exactly , but it all started happening after I came back from Manitoba from fishin Cats . And well them fish were no where near what the line was rated for .

How do you like that spider wire , I was thinking of spooling my other reel with it .

09-03-2009, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=BIGBADJOHN;381835]I bought 80 lb Power pro from Cabala's Winnipeg last year got my reel spooled , and I know I haven't caught any 80 Plus pound fish with my 10 ft musky rod , using it for Sturgeon fishing .

with that rig you should be fishing for jetboats!!!! :lol:

Nawwww , Why fight them when ya just head up and reel them in . And not to mention get a good 150 foot cast with that puppy .

Cal
09-03-2009, 12:17 PM
See thats what my thinking was exactly , but it all started happening after I came back from Manitoba from fishin Cats . And well them fish were no where near what the line was rated for .

How do you like that spider wire , I was thinking of spooling my other reel with it .

I absolutely hate it, in one day of fishing you will start to notice grooves in your line guides. I spooled up all my reels with it this spring and have gone back to mono on everything except my baitcasting rig rather than let it wear out the line rolers on my spinning reels as well. I keep it on the baitcasting rig cause thats what I use to fish crank baits and in theory with the stronger line I should be loosing less of those pricey buggers. For the most part it works but at least once every couple trips I end up cruising around trying to find a crank bait that came off mid cast. This winter I will put the spiderwire on my tip-ups and try somthing else on the baitcasting rig, any suggestions?

Rick.
09-04-2009, 09:50 AM
I have the 150lb. Power Pro downrigger line on both my cannons. It works great, and NO electrostatic hum that you get with the steel line. There are black boxes that you can use to manipulate the currant in the wire cable so it doesn't repel fish. I took that out of the equasion completely with the Power Pro, and saw a noticable increase in the strikes I got. I Would recommend alot stronger # test than 40, just for the increased shock and abrasion resistance...

I used 80# for the down rigger. Can I ask where you found the down rigger line? I would have bought it if I had seen it. Rick.

Mudslide
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I see Scotty is selling a spool of 200 lb braid for their down riggers and they also have a blue rubber snubber that would be a good addition. I saw it at Crappy tire on the coast a couple of weeks ago but I'm pretty sure Bass Pro has it too. Any place that sells Scotty should have it. I just put a pair of Walker electrics on my boat and I think I may try the braid on at least one

huntsfurfish
09-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Fishin Hole has both the braided and stainless down rigger line in their catalog.

BigBuck$
09-04-2009, 06:15 PM
How heavy is the cannonball you are running? I've snapped 2 off my steel line now (7#).

Rick.
09-04-2009, 07:34 PM
We use 12# balls in the Shuswap but we are using a house boat and going real deep. For the downrigger on my 14ft. alum. I just bought a 3 lb. ball. I'm thinking that will be lots of weight for the smaller boat. Still I would consider changing out all our downriggers with the heavier Powerpro. I like the isolation from electric current and would welcome the quiet compared to the steel cable but the more important issue to me is the amount of drag on the steel cable compared to the Powerpro. I have looked at the Scotty line and it is very (IMO) expensive. Rick.

fisher Gord
09-04-2009, 07:51 PM
reports from a salt water forum favor power pro over scotty but either over wire so when I have to change out my wire i will use power pro, at least 150lb for my 10 lb weights. snubbers are a good addition in any case. Gord

Rick.
09-04-2009, 10:02 PM
I am using snubbers made by Scotty specifically for dipsy divers but I have also seen some they make that are blue and heavy and go between your clip and ball. What do they do? Are they to absorb impact if you hit a rock or are they to isolate the voltage thing. Have never really been sure. Rick.

pikester
09-04-2009, 11:38 PM
I absolutely hate it, in one day of fishing you will start to notice grooves in your line guides. I spooled up all my reels with it this spring and have gone back to mono on everything except my baitcasting rig rather than let it wear out the line rolers on my spinning reels as well. I keep it on the baitcasting rig cause thats what I use to fish crank baits and in theory with the stronger line I should be loosing less of those pricey buggers. For the most part it works but at least once every couple trips I end up cruising around trying to find a crank bait that came off mid cast. This winter I will put the spiderwire on my tip-ups and try somthing else on the baitcasting rig, any suggestions?

I have not used spider wire on my tip-ups but my buddy does & he has the scars to prove it. He's gotten a few cuts from that stuff which he probably should have had stitched up:lol: I get enough cuts trying to land big pike on Power Pro.

Cal
09-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Good point, dammit I just cant find a good use for that stuff.