PDA

View Full Version : Best flasher for somebody new to it?

AK47
11-08-2021, 08:53 AM
Hello,

So I am thinking about getting a flasher for upcoming ice fishing season. Never used one before, any tips on what I should be looking for so it would be not too complicated to learn to use it and it still would be decent quality? budget would be up to 500$.

Thanks.

JohnB
11-08-2021, 10:46 AM
Vexilar FL8

AlbertanGP
11-08-2021, 10:58 AM
Don't be butter soft and let down the flasher posse. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_NgABmD9yQ)

Poppa
11-08-2021, 02:16 PM
Hello,

So I am thinking about getting a flasher for upcoming ice fishing season. Never used one before, any tips on what I should be looking for so it would be not too complicated to learn to use it and it still would be decent quality? budget would be up to 500$.

Thanks.
Chevy / Dodge / Ford...... it's really personal preference. But for me, the Helix series from Humminbird is the most user friendly. There's a lot of good YouTube content for how to use it properly.

JohninAB
11-08-2021, 03:24 PM
Vexilar FL-8SE gets my vote as well.

AlbertanGP
11-08-2021, 03:39 PM
At your price point, the FL-8SE would be my first choice...and I own a Humminbird Ice 55. I'd swap out for a 12* cone on the transducer. But other than that it's a great flasher.

kinwahkly
11-08-2021, 04:03 PM
I've got an Ice 55 for the past 10 years. No issues

FlyTheory
11-08-2021, 04:03 PM
I started with an ice 45 and it was great. Other all season units are only a little more expensive but have benefits of open water use too

AK47
11-08-2021, 04:09 PM
I started with an ice 45 and it was great. Other all season units are only a little more expensive but have benefits of open water use too

I have helix 5 on my boat so no need for open water use... seems like Vexilar is most suggested option and price is 429$ so within budget. Watched few videos, seems pretty straightforward. In one video it was quite noisy though.... is it regular thing with all of them or just that particular unit?

AK47
11-08-2021, 04:13 PM
One more question - so if FL8 does not have zoom function would it still be good fishing in 40-60 ft for lake trout? Or that zoom function is a must for deep water fishing?

JohninAB
11-08-2021, 04:30 PM
I have helix 5 on my boat so no need for open water use... seems like Vexilar is most suggested option and price is 429$ so within budget. Watched few videos, seems pretty straightforward. In one video it was quite noisy though.... is it regular thing with all of them or just that particular unit?

The FLX models are brushless and are a lot quieter. The FLX-12 is the brushless version of the FL-8SE.

I seem to fish mostly in depths between 15’ and 30’ and use the zoom feature all the time.

JohnB
11-08-2021, 05:27 PM
Garmin striker 5 is another option. Can set way points. I used mine in the summer to map a few lakes. I have used both striker and the FL8 at 60'

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garmin-striker-vivid-5-ice-fishing-bundle-0771857p.html#srp

mlee
11-08-2021, 06:24 PM
Garmin striker 5 is another option. Can set way points. I used mine in the summer to map a few lakes. I have used both striker and the FL8 at 60'

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garmin-striker-vivid-5-ice-fishing-bundle-0771857p.html#srpI'll second the Striker 5. I have a 5cv plus and a 7dv vivid both set up for ice. I've used mine to 130ft deep, cone angle is adjustable from 16-24* on the gt8 ducer and 9-15* on gt10. You can split screen and run flasher mode and 2d sonar at the same time plus it is a fully functioning gps unit and lake mapping unit. Can't go wrong imo.
I will however suggest a better place to shop than garbage tire lol.

https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/striker-vivid-5cv-ice-fishing-bundle.html

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Duramaximos
11-08-2021, 08:48 PM
Vexilar

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

SamSteele
11-08-2021, 08:56 PM
If you already have a Helix 5 why not save some money and use it with an ice transducer and possibly a shuttle? I use my helix units on the ice all the time.

SS

HuyFishin
11-08-2021, 09:49 PM
If you already have a Helix 5 why not save some money and use it with an ice transducer and possibly a shuttle? I use my helix units on the ice all the time.

SS

This is probably the best bet. Has good power for deep water too. I would pair it with a lithium though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OL_JR
11-08-2021, 09:59 PM

SS

Agree, 130 dollar transducer, 30 dollar battery, can even home build a shuttle for it. I love vexilars but that will be much better bang for the buck.

One caveat though is in my experience converting a regular helix meant for boat use the software isn't set up the same, not as much an issue in shallow water but laker fishing I need to manually dick around with frequencies to not have it interfere with anything within 100 yards it seems. The dedicated hardwater units seem to have that easier to manipulate with "cone angle" settings.

SamSteele
11-09-2021, 05:03 AM
Agree, 130 dollar transducer, 30 dollar battery, can even home build a shuttle for it. I love vexilars but that will be much better bang for the buck.

One caveat though is in my experience converting a regular helix meant for boat use the software isn't set up the same, not as much an issue in shallow water but laker fishing I need to manually dick around with frequencies to not have it interfere with anything within 100 yards it seems. The dedicated hardwater units seem to have that easier to manipulate with "cone angle" settings.

There are two different ice transducers. The XI 9 20 which has a 20 degree/60 degree dual beam cone and the XI 9 1521 that has a 15-21 degree cone and is only compatible with CHIRP units. If you are using the XI 9 20 transducer the 60 degree cone in deep water may be what’s causing your interference.

I use the XI 9 1521 on my units and I don’t see the interference you mention when fishing around other units. I’ve intentionally tried it around Marcum flashers, Lowrance activetargets, and other Helix units while on Cold Lake.

sns2
11-09-2021, 06:51 AM
When it comes to fishing, I listen to SamSteele. No one gets out there and does it more than him. Booksmart and “in the field” smart.

I’m a Vexilar fan for on the ice, simply for durability, but his suggestion to use your helix is likely the best one.

AK47
11-09-2021, 08:51 AM

SS

Boat is shrink wrapped and winterized.... not taking it off the boat.

OL_JR
11-09-2021, 08:26 PM
There are two different ice transducers. The XI 9 20 which has a 20 degree/60 degree dual beam cone and the XI 9 1521 that has a 15-21 degree cone and is only compatible with CHIRP units. If you are using the XI 9 20 transducer the 60 degree cone in deep water may be what’s causing your interference.

I use the XI 9 1521 on my units and I don’t see the interference you mention when fishing around other units. I’ve intentionally tried it around Marcum flashers, Lowrance activetargets, and other Helix units while on Cold Lake.

It's a helix 7 chirp gps g2 with the 1521 transducer. Do you have a cone angle setting on your units that you take ice fishing? Mine doesn't even in "ice fishing" mode but the dedicated ice units I've seen do. Maybe I'm in need of a software update or something but iirc I have to walk back the maximum frequency to narrow my "cone". I just adjust it down to where there is no more interference and I can still see my hook and fish and then I can fish closer to my other units within reason. There is interference rejection but doesn't seem to work as well.

Dean2
11-15-2021, 10:49 AM
Another vote for the Vexillar FL series of Flashers. For use specifically on ice they can't be beat and I have tried almost all of the common options. I have one original FL-8 that is nearly 30 years old, has had one set of brushes replaced, is on its 3rd battery and a LOT of use.

Vapor
11-15-2021, 12:04 PM
Vexilar 100% Bulletproof.

Brovacs
11-15-2021, 02:03 PM
You can also find some decent deals on refurbished Vexilars on their website. When my girlfriend really started getting into icefishing (and I was tired of sharing my FLX-28), I bought her a refurbished FL-20 GENZ pack for $400 with shipping. Unit arrived and I could not find a single scratch or sign of wear on it. It has performed flawlessly for two seasons of heavy use (>30 trips/year).

AK47
11-16-2021, 06:54 AM
Sorry for dumb question - I was looking at depth scale on Vexilar in the store and it looks like it goes to 35 ft only? How does it work in 60ft depth?

Dean2
11-16-2021, 07:00 AM
Sorry for dumb question - I was looking at depth scale on Vexilar in the store and it looks like it goes to 35 ft only? How does it work in 60ft depth?

The scrren actually says 20 feet in white or 30 in yellow. The range button is the second knob down on the side. You choose the range according to the depth so multiply 20x1,2 or 4 in white or 30x1 or x2 etc in the yellow range range choices.etc. The muliplication factor applies to each marked dept, so 4x0 is still zero, but the 5 mark is now 20 feet.

https://www.sail.ca/media/catalog/product/v/e/vexilar-gp0819__01.jpg?quality=80&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=&width=&canvas=:

SamSteele
11-16-2021, 01:05 PM
It's a helix 7 chirp gps g2 with the 1521 transducer. Do you have a cone angle setting on your units that you take ice fishing? Mine doesn't even in "ice fishing" mode but the dedicated ice units I've seen do. Maybe I'm in need of a software update or something but iirc I have to walk back the maximum frequency to narrow my "cone". I just adjust it down to where there is no more interference and I can still see my hook and fish and then I can fish closer to my other units within reason. There is interference rejection but doesn't seem to work as well.

I'm not sure what version your software is on your unit, but I will outline how to change it here. I'm currently looking at a Helix 8 MSI+ G4N (software version 2.660) on my ice shuttle with the XI 9 1521 transducer attached.

Step 1: Put your unit in "Ice Mode" by pressing menu twice to get to the big menu screen, scroll over to the sonar tab, scroll down until you see "Ice Mode". Select that. The unit will reboot.

Step 2: Press the menu button once. A small menu will pop up and the third option listed is "Cone Angle" where you can select 15-21 degree, 15 degree, or 21 degree cone angle.

If you are still getting interference there is an interference rejection menu option with 6 different modes that you can access when the unit is in Ice Mode. Press the menu button once and select "CHIRP IR". As you cycle through you will see that they alternate between a 15 and 21 degree cone for IR.

The Helix units also have a Noise Rejection setting as well, regardless if it is in Open water or Ice Mode. To access this, press the menu button twice, scroll over to the sonar tab, scroll down to "Noise Filter" which also has 6 different settings.

I haven't had to mess with the IR and NR settings much, but it appears as though you can set them independently. For example I can set the IR to setting 3 and the NR setting can be anything from None to setting 6.

I hope that helps you. Sorry for the delay but I wanted to be in front of the unit to ensure the details were there.

OP, sorry for the derail.

SS

ETA: I just confirmed the settings are the same on my Helix 5 G2 CHIRP with the most up to date software version (version 2.330). Your Helix 7 CHIRP G2 should be exactly the same if updated.

OL_JR
11-16-2021, 03:58 PM
Thanks for taking the time to go through that and I can tell immediately that you must be running different software than mine as the unit I have is different. There is 100 percent no cone angle option and I've never had the unit re start when selecting ice fishing mode.

Next I guess time to check for an update and will let you know how it goes but won't be looking at it until after hunting 🙂.

Apologies as well for the derail

JBKING
11-17-2021, 03:26 PM
I would look at the marcum m5l. The dual beam is nice for fishing super shallow or deep. Not too many settings, but your not missing any of the features that might make you upgrade later. The battery life with the brushless motor and lithium battery would be deadly. I have seen them for $500 on sale at Sail's website fairly often.

Having seen the m5 in person I can say it is quieter than average. It does also have zoom. Great for Lakers to have the full water column on one side and the zoom on bottom on the other.

I loved my lx5, had it for years before it died from a bad sled crash. I have the helix 7 now which is crazy cool but not necessary. Not nearly as easy to use.

pinelakeperch
11-17-2021, 07:56 PM
It's a Ford/Chevy thing. I have a Marcum LX-7 and love it. I've found that the hardcore midwest ice fishermen tend to prefer Vexilars.

OL_JR
11-18-2021, 07:52 PM
Thanks for taking the time to go through that and I can tell immediately that you must be running different software than mine as the unit I have is different. There is 100 percent no cone angle option and I've never had the unit re start when selecting ice fishing mode.

Next I guess time to check for an update and will let you know how it goes but won't be looking at it until after hunting 🙂.

Apologies as well for the derail

Update - this was bugging me so decided it couldn't wait. Went and looked up a software update and threw it on the Helix along with the recommended basemap refresh. It's basically a different unit now, kind of funny honestly. Menu options are what SamSteele described. The way I was running it was working with some tweeks but this should be much more convenient.

Once again thanks for taking the time to post that as after reading it was pretty obvious there was a fundamental difference in operation.

SNAPFisher
11-18-2021, 08:02 PM
It's a Ford/Chevy thing. I have a Marcum LX-7 and love it. I've found that the hardcore midwest ice fishermen tend to prefer Vexilars.

Yeah,... Liked mine as well when it worked. Mine was an early model and was certainly not built tough. Not sure if they are better now. For the price it just wasn't worth it imo

SamSteele
11-18-2021, 08:54 PM
Update - this was bugging me so decided it couldn't wait. Went and looked up a software update and threw it on the Helix along with the recommended basemap refresh. It's basically a different unit now, kind of funny honestly. Menu options are what SamSteele described. The way I was running it was working with some tweeks but this should be much more convenient.

Once again thanks for taking the time to post that as after reading it was pretty obvious there was a fundamental difference in operation.

Glad it worked out for you! Hopefully the ice builds and you get a chance to use it soon.

SS

fish99
11-20-2021, 12:47 PM
Glad it worked out for you! Hopefully the ice builds and you get a chance to use it soon.

SS

can u up date a gen 1 helix 7

SamSteele
11-20-2021, 05:14 PM
can u up date a gen 1 helix 7

The last update for the Helix 7 Gen 1 was in 2016. It is still available on the Humminbird website, but the features of that unit will be different than those described above. I dont think I’ce mode was an option on them but I can’t recall specifically.

SS

fish99
11-21-2021, 09:30 AM
The last update for the Helix 7 Gen 1 was in 2016. It is still available on the Humminbird website, but the features of that unit will be different than those described above. I dont think I’ce mode was an option on them but I can’t recall specifically.

SS

thanks for the info .
yes it does have ice mode used it last year for the first time ice fishing after my camera quit working .
u can easily see a wire worm on the screen it is quite sensitive .

Gbuss
11-21-2021, 03:12 PM
The best bang for your buck is a Garmin Stryker 4. It is on sale this Friday at Cabela's for 230 bucks you can mark way points and what not as well so you can return to your spot. It has a flasher mode and A scope/ traditional. the 77herzts function is a 45 degree cone and the 200herzts is a 25 degree cone( I think haven't used that option much). The one for 230 comes with a all-season case battery. the good thing too is if you want to upgrade the head unite later you can fit a 7" screen in the all-season case.

gbuss

Heater
11-21-2021, 06:05 PM
New to ice fishing electronics as well. Trying to decide between Vexilar FL8 or Garmin Striker 4 ice bundle .Not looking for lots of bells and whistles?:confused0024: Thanks to everyone for their input.

Scott N
11-22-2021, 06:31 AM
I noticed that Cabela's has the MarCum M1 flasher on sale for $299, which is $100 off the regular price, on one of their Black Friday sales starting today.

OP requested an easy to use model, and I bought the predecessor of this model in about 2014 and it's still the unit that I own and use. It doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of other models, but I use mine out at Spray Lakes in 90+ feet of water every season and it suites my needs just fine. $300 is a pretty decent deal for a flasher.

SamSteele
11-22-2021, 08:50 AM
I noticed that Cabela's has the MarCum M1 flasher on sale for $299, which is $100 off the regular price, on one of their Black Friday sales starting today.

OP requested an easy to use model, and I bought the predecessor of this model in about 2014 and it's still the unit that I own and use. It doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of other models, but I use mine out at Spray Lakes in 90+ feet of water every season and it suites my needs just fine. $300 is a pretty decent deal for a flasher.

Was going to recommend that one as well. Good price and mine has been a solid unit. No bells and whistles, but it works pretty well. I would say it’s better for 80 feet of water or less and it kind of loses power past that. Suspect most entry level flashers are similar in that regard.

SS

WinefredCommander
11-22-2021, 11:50 AM
Depends where you fish. If deep water go LX7. They outshine the rest in depths.