PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to take photos when out alone?

AlbertanGP
11-12-2021, 03:08 PM
I like to take photos of the bigger fish I catch, but I'm having a hard time finding a setup I'm comfortable with. Last year I used my iPhone with a mount that went on my tripod. Taking a picture was a hassle though even if I was all set up ahead of time. And of course the phone would always shut off when it got cold, so I missed a lot of good pictures.

This guy's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOT-Gt3Yzcw) setup seems pretty sweet. Is it true that you can voice command a GoPro to take a picture? If so, does anyone know how they hold up outside (do they tend to shut off like the iPhone if the battery gets cold?). Any feedback and help would be appreciated. Cheers.

SamSteele
11-12-2021, 03:22 PM
Voice activation on GoPros is the way to go. Hero 9 and up have a front facing screen as well so you can see yourself and frame the photo better.

ETA: Forgot to mention that you can power them externally using a USB cord and a power pack. They are like any other battery. Getting them cold drops their battery life. I wire a USB port into my shuttles and then mount the camera on there and plug it into the same battery as my sonar units use.

AlbertanGP
11-12-2021, 03:29 PM
Thanks Mark. I'll have to look into them a bit closer. Sounds like the way to go. You just use a small tripod I take it? Your photos look like their taken from up off the ice a bit. Cheers.

SamSteele
11-12-2021, 05:57 PM
I often use a clamp on gooseneck mount like this one. You can put it pretty well anywhere. Clamp on the shuttle, atv, sled, or tent pole.

Sametop Jaws Flex Clamp Mount with Adjustable Gooseneck Compatible with GoPro Hero 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, Session, 3+, 3, 2, 1, Max, Hero (2018), Fusion, DJI Osmo Action Cameras https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CQ6PWSA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_YCZJ4S2CXT5N361PWR1K?_enc oding=UTF8&psc=1

AlbertanGP
11-12-2021, 06:50 PM
I picked up the GoPro 10 and their tripod mount kit from GoPro's site, and the flex clamp mount you recommended and a waterproof case on Amazon. I think I should be good to go. Thanks for your help. :)

KegRiver
11-12-2021, 07:15 PM
I'm not really into taking pictures of dead critters but I do carry a point and shoot camera when I think of it.

My main camera is too heavy for one hand operation so I carry the point and shoot because it is small, light and easy to operate with one hand.

I only take hunting and fishing pictures to show friends and family what I got, if they ask. But most of the time I don't carry any camera at all, and definitely not a cell phone with camera.

The last thing I want is to be answering phone calls when I'm trying to get away and relax.

HuyFishin
11-12-2021, 07:47 PM
I picked up the GoPro 10 and their tripod mount kit from GoPro's site, and the flex clamp mount you recommended and a waterproof case on Amazon. I think I should be good to go. Thanks for your help. :)

Yea easiest way is how mark mentioned it. Face the camera and say “GoPro take photo” and you got your photo. I run my gopros all day with a powerbank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Bullets
11-13-2021, 12:52 AM
A guy should come up with a battery powered battery warmer. :sHa_shakeshout:

There are cams that clip to your ball cap. Then a person can edit the video frame by frame for the good shots. Only it is first person view. Batteries are next to your skull so they wouldn't freeze up.

SamSteele
11-13-2021, 07:57 AM
A guy should come up with a battery powered battery warmer. :sHa_shakeshout:

There are cams that clip to your ball cap. Then a person can edit the video frame by frame for the good shots. Only it is first person view. Batteries are next to your skull so they wouldn't freeze up.

I have the mounts that slip on your cap brim but found that I didn’t trust them to not fall off when I’m looking down. I took an old hat and drilled a hole through the brim and screwed a mount to it. I put my Hero 7 on there and the Hero 9 on a mount facing me. I use voice activation to turn it on (GoPro, turn on) and then either take a picture (GoPro, take a picture) or start recording a video (GoPro, start recording). They both turn on and do what I ask at the same time. Gets you a couple angles and you aren’t fumbling with stuff.

When you’re done, tell them to turn off to save battery. Having them on voice activated standby does use battery but it is so convenient.

AGP, you are going to like that setup. I haven’t played with the Hero 10 (I have a 9) but they look very similar. Get the GoPro Quik app on your phone and you can take pictures and video remotely as well as download and edit your pics and video through a dedicated wifi connection.

AlbertanGP
11-13-2021, 08:18 AM
I think the Hero 9 might have been a better fit for me than the Hero 10 tbh. They both take incredible pictures, but the Hero 10 definitely chews through the battery a lot faster. I think I'll set mine up to just sit on a tripod wired in to a spare Dakota Lithium 10Ah battery and just forget about it all day. I should have what works best for me figured out in a couple of trips.

Willowtrail
11-13-2021, 12:47 PM
I run my Hero 10 and Hero 7's without the dive case. They're waterproof to 10m/33' without a case, once you plug in external power they aren't waterproof anymore.

It's best to run video of you for a few seconds then go through the app and do screen grabs. The 10 does I believe 23mp and the speed on the 10 is so awesome with the new GP2 processor. It'll last all week on a 10ah Dakota.

Scotty makes a great GoPro camera mount for the boat or tent, just need a mount location for it

Frank_NK28
11-13-2021, 03:17 PM
I use my iphone mounted on a tripod. It only takes a second to go into the Display & Brightness settings and set it to "never" so it doesn't turn off when you set it up then select the timer on the camera. It counts down from 10 backwards showing you the countdown. Plenty of time to get ready for a shot. Ice fishing I just set it on my tailgate and fire a quick shot...In my boat I set it up on a suction cup mount on my windshield aimed rearward overlooking the downriggers and when we get a strike turn on the video and record....I set it again to not lovk and have it ready to go. I just keep the power plugged in constantly so it doesn't run out of power when I need it.....

Zip-in-Z
11-14-2021, 04:19 PM
Nothing fancy, a point & shoot Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 with 30X zoom, it fit's nicely in my vest top zipper pocket.

D.

https://i.imgur.com/Vzwklbfh.jpg

AlbertanGP
11-14-2021, 07:37 PM
I think all of the setups mentioned can work. I've never had good luck with my iPhone. I have used point and shoots in the past. I think the voice activation on the Go Pro is really going to make my life easier and be better for the fish to boot. They aren't cheap, but I view it as a one and done purchase so I don't mind paying more.

Sundancefisher
11-14-2021, 07:39 PM
I'm not really into taking pictures of dead critters but I do carry a point and shoot camera when I think of it.

My main camera is too heavy for one hand operation so I carry the point and shoot because it is small, light and easy to operate with one hand.

I only take hunting and fishing pictures to show friends and family what I got, if they ask. But most of the time I don't carry any camera at all, and definitely not a cell phone with camera.

The last thing I want is to be answering phone calls when I'm trying to get away and relax.

Put your cell phone on airplane mode. Bam. No calls or messages.

SamSteele
11-16-2021, 08:24 AM
I think the Hero 9 might have been a better fit for me than the Hero 10 tbh. They both take incredible pictures, but the Hero 10 definitely chews through the battery a lot faster. I think I'll set mine up to just sit on a tripod wired in to a spare Dakota Lithium 10Ah battery and just forget about it all day. I should have what works best for me figured out in a couple of trips.

I was in Costco the other day and they had the Hero 9 packages in there for a good price if you really wanted a 9. I would probably stick with the 10 as there are some good features like the hydroscopic coating on the lens so water droplets don't ruin your shots. The rear touch screen is apparently more responsive as well.

SS

AlbertanGP
11-16-2021, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I did order a Hero 10 directly from GoPro last weekend. But maybe I'll grab the 9 at Costco if the price is right. Not that I have any aspirations of being the next Jay, Clayton or Aaron or anything. lol.

KegRiver
11-16-2021, 12:03 PM
Put your cell phone on airplane mode. Bam. No calls or messages.

For those who wish to use a cell phone that would work.

I prefer to use the P&S because if I loose it or damage it it's no great loss, but a lost or damaged cell phone is. For me.

Because it's a seven hour round trip drive just to get a new one, from home.
Eight from my favorite hunting and fishing area.

The cost of fuel alone doubles the price.

AlbertanGP
11-20-2021, 01:22 PM
Tried the GoPro for the first time this morning. Definitely the way to go compared to the iPhone IMO. Thanks for the gear tips. :)

HuyFishin
11-20-2021, 01:28 PM
Tried the GoPro for the first time this morning. Definitely the way to go compared to the iPhone IMO. Thanks for the gear tips. :)

If you want a more normal looking photo rather then superwide fish eye look then change your photo setting to linear.

Wide and superwide will make your fish look massive while making you look smaller though LOL

AlbertanGP
11-20-2021, 01:42 PM
If you want a more normal looking photo rather then superwide fish eye look then change your photo setting to linear.

Wide and superwide will make your fish look massive while making you look smaller though LOL

I have to take it home and find a good YouTube video with a walk through of all the menus. I can't believe for the price of a Hero 10 that it doesn't come with any sort of manual...just a little warnings booklet in 20 languages. I did take this photo this morning just trying to see how the voice commands worked. I was surprised that it captured such a wide angle without having a real fisheye appearance. I'll check the aspect ratio setting though. Thanks for the tip. ;)

https://photos.smugmug.com/Ice-Fishing-2021-2022/i-FFqBDvg/0/2c4a5f4d/X2/GPTempDownload-X2.jpg

SamSteele
11-20-2021, 05:11 PM

Yep, linear is the way to go. I do use wide or super wide if I have the camera on a pole trying to capture underwater shots as it gives you more margin for error when guessing on composition for the shot.