PDA

View Full Version : A Terrible Hunting Season Takes a Good Turn

sns2
11-13-2021, 11:59 AM
Well fellas my hunting season up until yesterday sucked. Some of you may recall I'm a Lab guy. In my opinion, and others who compete at a high level, I have a pretty special dog. He was passing Master Tests at two, and I'm a rookie Lab trainer.

My season came to a screeching halt on opening weekend when he came up lame after our first hunt. This had happened sporadically in the last year, so off to the vets we go. Xrays showed a torn ACL in his rear leg which requires TPLO surgery. Not feeling comfortable with my corner vet, I asked for a referral to a surgeon who specializes in this procedure.

He examined my best pal, and felt the tear was partial, and that he was a good candidate for a newer procedure called platelet rich plasma therapy which if successful would avoid him going under the knife. We scheduled it, and had it done. Two weeks later... no improvement. Still a 3 legged dog. Surgery was then scheduled which is very similar to a knee replacement in that they use a circular saw to cut off the top of the tibia, rotate it to level the angle of the knee joint, and then bracing it with a 4" metal plate held on with 5 screws. Here's a pic of what was done...

$5100 later we began a lengthy rehab.

This torpedoed hunting season, as my son had one week previous purchased a GSP pup. So I have a gimped dog that requires vigilant care, and a puppy. Heavy sigh.

Anyhow, my 18 yr old drew an antlerless moose tag that I did not want to let go to waste, so we packed both dogs in the back of the Ridgeline and headed out yesterday morning.

The Good Lord smiled on us, as we had two nice calves literally trot right up to us at sunrise. One well placed headshot from my son's 7 Rem Mag dropped the moose right at the gate into the quarter.

Skinned her yesterday, cutting myself pretty dang good in the process.

Got up early this morning with my canine alarm clocks, cleared the island, and went to work. Giving thanks to above for the easiest moose in history.

I needed a win. Without going into boring details, I've had a lot of kicks to the groin in the last couple years.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Next year will be better. But for today, I'm very thankful.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211113/7a84aae6e3de6e76b7cfcf08dd84d645.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211113/5bbd83c6c9beeb0f804d9f9e1fc3e9db.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211113/125909f80b6acb8345936fe638f0cb4f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211113/0eb32956b20ffe9a59b1dd8295cfbfcb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211113/3969817194556914af31b6bec7ae4939.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211113/fb6cc1fee0cd0709200daa567910119f.jpg

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

slopeshunter
11-13-2021, 12:18 PM
Ouch. I feel for ya. Congrats on the moose, will be great eating. Our poor pups always look so sad when they’re wearing the cone.

Bushrat
11-13-2021, 12:22 PM
That meat looks just prime, would be tempted to eat it just as it is right there!

58thecat
11-13-2021, 12:35 PM
Dam sorry to hear about your pup, hope the healing process is a success and you two are back at it!

Congrats on the moose well done always nice to have family hunting together!

The meat will be enjoyed for sure.

Ohh and we have had a few injuries over the years that required the dreaded cone and the plastic wore on my dogs hide so the wife made one out of a stiff like fabric to the same dimensions and the problem was solved, maybe google it, just a thought, worked like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage Bacon
11-13-2021, 12:38 PM
Congrats to your boy. Hopefully your pooch has a speedy recovery. That's quite the chunk of metal.

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk

Dick284
11-13-2021, 12:39 PM
You’re too good of a guy Shane, to have total crap for Karma.
This shows you that.
Well done friend, well done.

DiabeticKripple
11-13-2021, 12:43 PM
Great post.

When life kicks ya in the nuts, keep on going and you’ll be rewarded

marky_mark
11-13-2021, 12:48 PM
Glad to see your luck turned around

Smoky buck
11-13-2021, 12:59 PM
Congrats to your boy and just keep moving forward

JD848
11-13-2021, 01:01 PM
sns2 your a very fine person , sometimes crap happens in our lives because someone knows were up for the job.

Hope your lab gets better fast and the moose with your son was very good to see. YES when life kicks us hard there's a reward within you that is coming.

Always all the best.
JD

KazIce
11-13-2021, 01:03 PM
Thanks for sharing. Hope the dog gets better soon and that your hand heals up; that looks tough. The moose looks amazing, well done!

ganderblaster
11-13-2021, 01:09 PM
Congrats on the moose! You are one of the good guys. Glad you are smiling again.

bagwan
11-13-2021, 01:16 PM
That's a lot of metal but animals heal, Busted my arm at wrist end of July. Bone is healed but ligament damage may need help. Keep fighting the good fight.

270person
11-13-2021, 01:53 PM
Sometimes life throws us challenging times Shane. We both know that well. I strongly believe we are judged on how we overcome them. Good people always come through and you are one of those 100%.

Happy for you and your son. Hope doggo pulls through ok.

Jim Blake
11-13-2021, 03:42 PM
Glad things turned around for you and congratulations on the tasty moose!!

Mb-MBR
11-13-2021, 03:52 PM
Damn Shane...........not sure where to start, sorry or congrats. Just some rapids in the river of life..........the moose will be tender though, finger will heal and so will dog, so all in all not to bad.

Smokinyotes
11-13-2021, 05:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog Shane. Hopefully everything turns out good and your dog has many more years hunting. Nice calf moose like that should be great eating.

Red Bullets
11-13-2021, 06:15 PM
Sorry to read about your pup's leg. Tell your pup "Heal boy" from me. Sorry to read about your hand and you getting kicked in the groin too. I hope you both heal quickly. I'm thinking moderating must water off your back. :) And you need to wear a cup. :)

Congrats to your son on his moose. That moose is going to be yummy.

sns2
11-13-2021, 06:23 PM
Sorry to read about your pup's leg. Tell your pup "Heal boy" from me. Sorry to read about your hand and you getting kicked in the groin too. I hope you both heal quickly. I'm thinking moderating must water off your back. :) And you need to wear a cup. :)

Congrats to your son on his moose. That moose is going to be yummy.

Red, after the last couple years of the swift kicks, my nuts are hamburger, so no cup required:)

teledogs
11-13-2021, 06:23 PM
Glad things turned around and congratulations on the moose. It's the kicks that give us character! Hope the pup heals fast and strong!

bessiedog
11-13-2021, 08:05 PM
Brighter days ahead buddy!!

Keep up the goofy knife play n you’ll be able to teach fractions wit yer digits…

catnthehat
11-13-2021, 08:08 PM
Nice turnaround too the dreary season, sorry about your pup!
Louie slipped a disc early in his career and we almost lost him,, but he recovered and at 12 years old he still is hitting the uplands with us!:sHa_shakeshout:
I'm sure your pup will be right as rain come next fall.:)
Cat

Howard Hutchinson
11-13-2021, 09:52 PM
Good luck with the pupper. Hopefully its a quick recovery. Congrats on the wonderful animal. Going to be superb.

Greatwest
11-14-2021, 08:24 AM
Congrats on turning your season around. One old boy told myself and my brother once when we shot a calf moose. “You boys may as well take that moose meat to the dump it will be no good it will be just like eating mashed potatoes” So if you want I can pick up that meat and dispose of it for you. That meat looks amazing SNS2 enjoy the fine table fair and keep up on re-hab with the lab he will be back chasing birds with you in no time.

Stinky Buffalo
11-14-2021, 04:43 PM
Congrats on your son’s moose!

Best wishes for your pup’s healing journey.

Oh, and your finger too. [emoji16]

OL_JR
11-14-2021, 07:27 PM
Congrats sounds like some well deserved fine dining.

urban rednek
11-14-2021, 07:56 PM
Congrats to your son! That'll be good eating.
Hope you and the dog both heal up fast.
And
Good job on not getting the Ridgeline stuck.

sns2
11-14-2021, 09:34 PM
Congrats to your son! That'll be good eating.
Hope you and the dog both heal up fast.
And
Good job on not getting the Ridgeline stuck.

The mighty Ridgeline will never get stuck. Getting stuck is for sissy vehicles like white Subarus!

58thecat
11-15-2021, 12:27 AM
Hey if the wife needed the jacked up black dodge and left the grocery getter and ya gotta get out then ridge line it is.
Just as long as their is a spare set of pool noodles your good to go, leave in the dark come home in the dark, no one would know!

Lefty-Canuck
11-15-2021, 06:28 AM
Dang man! I feel for you. Happy you were able to get a tag filled and maybe put a smile on your face.

LC

Sooner
11-15-2021, 09:42 AM
Congrats on the Moose. One of my Shorthairs got hit by a car at age 2. This was 20 yrs back. Back then it cost us $3500.00 for the surgery to put a pin in her back leg. That dog, although not a hunter but full of GSP energy kept up with our 2 yr younger male GSP and lived a long life to just over 16 yrs. That pin never gave her an ounce of trouble. I hope the same for your lab.

What a sad face in that pic, I remember the same face on mine and the same cone, bathroom breaks and trying to keep her from being a dog that just wants to go go go lol.

Oh and when we were skinning my sons 54 inch moose a few years ago for the cape, I stabbed myself much like you, wad of paper towel around the finger, duct tape and back to the work. Replaced often until we got home.

Stinky Buffalo
11-15-2021, 10:48 AM
Oh and when we were skinning my sons 54 inch moose a few years ago for the cape, I stabbed myself much like you, wad of paper towel around the finger, duct tape and back to the work. Replaced often until we got home.

Heh! I think there's more of us here on the forum that have done that than we care to admit... :lol:

"Stitches? Bah! I don't need stitches! Just pass me that paper towel and some electrical tape..."

Bushrat
11-15-2021, 02:10 PM
Heh! I think there's more of us here on the forum that have done that than we care to admit... :lol:

"Stitches? Bah! I don't need stitches! Just pass me that paper towel and some electrical tape..."

Kinda like at work, they told me the first aid kit was over there, I asked does it have rolls of tape and shop rags....."no" was the answer. I replied "well what good is it then"

sns2
11-15-2021, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the laughs fellas! That was exactly my first thought... where's the duct tape?

Moose is vac wrapped and wet aging on the garage floor. Finger will be fine. Stitches were never contemplated.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211115/050426125a9dfb17a648e3f62b81275b.jpg

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

sjemac
11-15-2021, 02:49 PM

Been there. Doing that right now. Felt the knife grate on the bone as it went in.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51682529621_fabab9100d_b.jpg

Twisted Canuck
11-15-2021, 02:57 PM
It's just a flesh wound. I've had worse....:)

Hoping you get the reference.

That moose looks super nice, that is some fine victuals you got there. Do up some burgers, throw a handful of Hawkins cheezies on the plate, and you are 5 star Michelin dining.

I believe your pup is gonna make a full recovery. Positive thinking.

tirebob
11-15-2021, 03:27 PM
Awesome on the moose sir! Watch the fingers and heal up your pooch next... Happy to hear you got her sorted. Mans best friend and all!

Stinky Buffalo
11-15-2021, 04:56 PM
It's just a flesh wound. I've had worse....:)

Hoping you get the reference.

(awkwardly) "...I got better..."

roper1
11-15-2021, 08:51 PM
Lots of the fellas in your corner Sir! Small thing but we got your back! Glad for the boy & his moose, hope the dog heals 100%, the rest of it you'll get farther in the rearview mirror

Ken3134
11-28-2021, 07:30 AM
Glad to hear its not all bad, and some luck was overdue and deserved.

I can relate, lost my Brittany in July who decided to venture out on the highway which was hard. New English Springer puppy brought home in September has been a handful, but has been fun as well. Really looking forward to next years bird season with him. My youngest son will be out for his first season next year as well. Lots to look forward to!

Dean2
11-28-2021, 07:43 AM
Somehow I had completely missed this thread till this morning. Glad I saw it once things were already turning for the better. Good to see the dog is healing, your son got a nice moose, and you have a floor full of prime meat. You are a good guy and deserve good things to happen to you. Keep smiling, it will keep getting better.

Phil McCracken
11-28-2021, 07:52 AM
Happy things worked out for you and family at the end.

Also glad you looked after your "hunting buddy"!...nice looking pooch.

...:)

CptnBlues63
12-10-2021, 10:48 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog. Hope he's ready for some hunting next season!

My 3 brothers joined me hunting last year for the first time ever. It was the first time hunting deer for one of them, the second time for another. Our oldest brother has been out hunting deer several times in the past. So none of them had any real experience with butchering.

Long story short, everybody nicked a finger last year (well, except me). Youngest brother had to get stitches, it was pretty bad! So this year we bought some cut resistant gloves like these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Cut-Resistant-Gloves-Pair-Anti-Cutting/dp/B08GLWP9MH/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=goves%2Byou%2Bcan%27t%2Bcut&qid=1639158252&sr=8-9&th=1

They actually work quite well and I even wore one while butchering this year.